The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do We Lack Toughness? Who would you give up for?

Rate this topic

RolexSub

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'd give you a shovel but it seems you brought your own backhoe.   The same guys - EP - had his best seasons under Green.   So did Brock.    Bruce was smart enough to acknowledge the mantra instead of being "Bruce there it is" could be "Bruce there he goes" ... i think your reading a lot more into it then is required.   Locker room cancers on Petey.   I can't even tell if your joking, being sarcastic - or actually believe some of the things (vitriol) that comes out of your mouth.   A rebuilding team isn't going to have a great record - you know that right?    

Name one aspect of coaching that Green performed to an acceptable standard.  We still have AHL trash infesting our lineup thanks to his nepotism.   Look up what happened when Demko got robbed in Utica for an idea of what kind of "man" Green is.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Name one aspect of coaching that Green performed to an acceptable standard.  We still have AHL trash infesting our lineup thanks to his nepotism.   Look up what happened when Demko got robbed in Utica for an idea of what kind of "man" Green is.

Your still doing it.   Green has been gone since the first couple wins in early Dec.   How long do you think it's going to take - before you stop blaming Green for the clubs issues?   Might as well blame Tom Renney.  Or half a season of Rick Ley.  I met Demko in Utica.   He was injured ... was nice had some nice things to say.  

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Your still doing it.   Green has been gone since the first couple wins in early Dec.   How long do you think it's going to take - before you stop blaming Green for the clubs issues?   Might as well blame Tom Renney.  Or half a season of Rick Ley.  I met Demko in Utica.   He was injured ... was nice had some nice things to say.  

Do you think this team is a playoff team if we had started the year with an actual NHL coach, MacEwen, and Gadjovich instead of Green and his pet plugs?  Yes or no question.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Do you think this team is a playoff team if we had started the year with an actual NHL coach, MacEwen, and Gadjovich instead of Green and his pet plugs?  Yes or no question.

I'm not sure but think most likely yes.   Green lost me this training camp.   Felt with that much roster change he should have been focused differently.  And Gadj being waived pissed me off.    Who knows what Bruce could have or couldn't have done at the start of the year with that much roster change.    Green did have the team playing very well 5 x 5 - special teams sucked - EP sucked as did Brock... or at least weren't their normal selves.    No Motte didn't help our PK either - funny thing, he did have us playing as a top five possession team.   That's slipped since Bruce took over so there is one thing Green did well this year - the only thing.    I wouldn't be surprised to see the other shoe drop - over the remainder of the season or next year - and neither should you.   Without core ascension this team is going into another rebuild. 

Edit:  The other thing Green did well or better then Bruce has so far is his OT.    Green was a cerebral coach or is one.   But he also tried to fit round pegs in square holes and didn't use his time outs well.   In the end - aside from this season - Green overachieved with his rosters a little.   That makes him, an above average NHL coach.   I really think your screaming at the wrong cloud.   JB, aside from this season (and even then given the conundrum we are now facing moving forward) is a better cloud to yell at. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

I'm not sure but think most likely yes.   Green lost me this training camp.   Felt with that much roster change he should have been focused differently.  And Gadj being waived pissed me off.    Who knows what Bruce could have or couldn't have done at the start of the year with that much roster change.    Green did have the team playing very well 5 x 5 - special teams sucked - EP sucked as did Brock... or at least weren't their normal selves.    No Motte didn't help our PK either - funny thing, he did have us playing as a top five possession team.   That's slipped since Bruce took over so there is one thing Green did well this year - the only thing.    I wouldn't be surprised to see the other shoe drop - over the remainder of the season or next year - and neither should you.   Without core ascension this team is going into another rebuild. 

Exactly.  What Green did to the franchise with the training camp fiasco was simply unforgivable and he should have been fired on the spot for even suggesting the roster that he went with.  Core ascension was another huge issue under Green; our young talent as a group had their best seasons as rookies.  That's a spectacular coaching failure when development is a priority.  We're likely going to have to make a trade or two in order to regain the depth we lost thanks to Green being too stupid to handle something as simple as roster selection, which may further set us back.  Bottom line is he sabotaged the team this year and deserves the vast majority of the blame. 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Exactly.  What Green did to the franchise with the training camp fiasco was simply unforgivable and he should have been fired on the spot for even suggesting the roster that he went with.  Core ascension was another huge issue under Green; our young talent as a group had their best seasons as rookies.  That's a spectacular coaching failure when development is a priority.  We're likely going to have to make a trade or two in order to regain the depth we lost thanks to Green being too stupid to handle something as simple as roster selection, which may further set us back.  Bottom line is he sabotaged the team this year and deserves the vast majority of the blame. 

You losing me again.  Using big adverbs and adjectives to describe a situation that wasn't nearly so dire.   Our team wasn't that good.   Before the last of the remnants of the MG era disappeared, and still isn't now.   What did you expect?  A cup during our rebuild? 

I'd like to see a big shake up this off season. Re-sign and trade Boeser. Trade Horvat, Pearson, Garland and Myers. Bring up Rathbone and Lockwood. Re-sign Miller, give him the C. I wouldn't mind them bringing in Severson to play with OEL, and maybe Pesce to play with Dermott. Also be nice to get a young D with size who skates well, to eventually work their way into the Top 4.

OEL - Severson

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - Pesce

Rathbone

?

Any idea if or when Woo and Klimovich will be ready?    

It isn’t the days of skating hobo fights anymore. 
Team toughness is an overall philosophy from drafting, and development and in part for UFAs and trades. 
‘It is something the coaching has to embrace at all levels. 

Look at Carolina, lots of skill but is still tough.  Not because of a goon but the team philosophy. 
Philly, Boston, Calgary have all built it in as an overall philosophy associated with the team, even when it doesn’t really represent how they play. 
I think an overall philosophy of team toughness gives room for the Petterssons and Hugheses to work. 

4 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

The Oilers signed a speedy, tough, gritty, top six scoring power forward for $1.5 million.  I realized that  he will help them make the playoffs over the Nucks.

True they did.  But your forgot to mention POS. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

The Oilers signed a speedy, tough, gritty, top six scoring power forward for $1.5 million.  I realized that  he will help them make the playoffs over the Nucks.

Is there a line, as fans, we are willing to see our team cross (signing guys like Evander) in hopes to win?  

29 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

It isn’t the days of skating hobo fights anymore. 
Team toughness is an overall philosophy from drafting, and development and in part for UFAs and trades. 
‘It is something the coaching has to embrace at all levels. 

Look at Carolina, lots of skill but is still tough.  Not because of a goon but the team philosophy. 
Philly, Boston, Calgary have all built it in as an overall philosophy associated with the team, even when it doesn’t really represent how they play. 
I think an overall philosophy of team toughness gives room for the Petterssons and Hugheses to work. 

Not sure what "days of skating hobo fighting" means but i googled it and this is what came up Step Brothers Fighting GIF by reactionseditor

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I'd cross that line any day. The guy can play hockey. It just depends if you want to win or build a team full of nice guys.

Sure.  Rapists and wife beaters.   Come on man.   There are lines a team doesn't need to cross in some desperation to win a trophy.  It's just some silver cup.   The names on it mean something but we don't need to ever go down that road.  

Edited by IBatch

18 hours ago, iceman64 said:

What is the discussion here about? Nitpicking about a detail in a point about size and "I" have panties in a knot??? You keep thinking that then lmao! 

How many ex Canucks are that big and tough lately? He's our "Canuck" example next to Donald brash.. or Gino.. whatever lol back to the point, IF we don't get bigger we're never going to get a cup. The playoffs are simply another tier up and the teams that have the size grinds the other down and Mr baggins, how many times have "we" seen that?  

Tampa won back to back cups and they've got the smallest top 6 in the NHL Kucherov Stamkos, Point, Palat, Killorn, Cirelli are all under 200lbs. We actually have decent size up front on our team. Chiasson, Horvat,  BB, Miller, Pearson Podkolzin, and were even bigger last season with MacEwen, Beagle and Gadjovich . Even with that size we still seemed to lack toughness. It's less about size and more about team toughness IMO. These guys turn a blind eye whenever possible under Green. 

I keep bringing this up but BB was cross-checked in the back during a preseason game vs Ottawa and nobody did anything! I was furious It's a pre-season go punch the guy's face in! 

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.  Rapists and wife beaters.   Come on man.   There are lines a team doesn't need to cross in some desperation to win a trophy.  It's just some silver cup.   The names on it mean something but we don't need to ever go down that road.  

I want to see the team win a cup by any means necessary. I could care less who's on the team if they're winning especially when the player is the exact type of player we need. 

Patrick Kane won a cup and he beat up a cab driver, I would take Kane on my team any day and nobody in Chicago cares. 

Just now, Ferlands_Head said:

I want to see the team win a cup by any means necessary. I could care less who's on the team if they're winning especially when the player is the exact type of player we need. 

Patrick Kane won a cup and he beat up a cab driver, I would take Kane on my team any day and nobody in Chicago cares. 

Chicago is a pretty terrible example considering they literally allowed a coach to rape one of their players.

• Vintage 1