The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 25, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They were bad before that so don’t try to say because they were out these last few games that the stats went down. They had bottom Of the league stats before they were taken out of the lineup. The reality is that we don’t have enough high scoring wingers and dman. Pettersson still isn’t playing elite. So we are missing a lot of things. 

No they were good once Bruce came on board and we had a 100% healthy lineup, then the postponement BS and Covid hit and we went on that deadly florida road trip. I dont expect a half depleted lineup to win any games.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

No they were good once Bruce came on board and we had a 100% healthy lineup, then the postponement BS and Covid hit and we went on that deadly florida road trip. I dont expect a half depleted lineup to win any games.

Our offense is not good even with those players. The stats show we are at the bottom. That shouldn’t be satisfactory for anyone. Compared to the team in Florida we have a ways to go. We are not close.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

26 minutes ago, 1-d said:

History tells us that whenever you trade away a superstar caliber player, you rarely win the trade. We still have another year to wait and see whether or not Petey is still the franchise cornerstone to build around, and then decide.

To me it seems way too early to give up on the ROY centerman.

Even if Petey is not the cornerstone player to build around, he would still be a useful player in a retool. 

He has the shot, skill, vision, and passing... that's hard to find. I'm sure he will get better with these small miscues that we see in the games this season.

Worst case is that we use him as a winger. I think his scoring rate will be PPG as a winger. As a centerman, I think he is currently 0.6-0.7 PPG if tasked with heavy match ups/defensive responsibilities.

The elite two way centermen like Barkov and prior to him, Kopitar, Toewes, Bergeron, Datsyuk that put up PPG while being elite defensively are hard to find. I think Petey has the defensive IQ to be like one of these guys but it remains to be seen if he can score at a higher rate. 

If Petey is not to be a Selke level player, we need another center or at the least, elite winger with high offensive output to build around.

I'm convinced that Boeser is not that elite winger. I was hoping he would be a 40 goal scorer but he just can't generate shots and shooting opportunities for his teammates with regularity.

• Cheers 1

Miller is the only player of value right now that can fix our backend and get us a pick. He might walk if he sees we are not close.

He wont walk, JR will re-sign him and trade Boeser, just watch. You keep talking about Miller bringing assets while signing Boeser will be another anchor added to this team, as if we dont have enough of them already. Canucks should sign players that can contribute and get rid of the dead weights.

9 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

They are the best 5on5 GA in the league but really need to get some points that's for sure.

How quickly you guys forget how good the d has been Jesus they allowed 17 shots on Sunday and have been positive players despite only scoring 7 goals between them.

One bad game shots wise in volume not many 5on5 high danger shots and its back to Myers sucks OEL is an anchor  Tucker at 2.5 is overpaid black bla bla. Every post I read of yours is always the most negative angle and most of what you say doesn't even align with reality, typical of the doom and gloom crowd.

Go back and watch the games where we had 2 multiple d out with covid and we saw Myers, Quinn, OEL step it up. Defense is not an issue right now.

Well the defense offers nothing offensively and that is a problem. We are last in the league in terms of offense from the backend. So it is a problem. Defensively no but you need offense from the backend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

They are the best 5on5 GA in the league but really need to get some points that's for sure.

How quickly you guys forget how good the d has been Jesus they allowed 17 shots on Sunday and have been positive players despite only scoring 7 goals between them.

One bad game shots wise in volume not many 5on5 high danger shots and its back to Myers sucks OEL is an anchor  Tucker at 2.5 is overpaid black bla bla. Every post I read of yours is always the most negative angle and most of what you say doesn't even align with reality, typical of the doom and gloom crowd.

Go back and watch the games where we had 2 multiple d out with covid and we saw Myers, Quinn, OEL step it up. Defense is not an issue right now.

There is a reason this team was bad last year and is in the position it is in this year.   If the D was good as you say they wouldn’t be struggling this much. 

How many points does our d outside of QH have and where does that rank them in the NHL? Demko has stood on his head more than once, or else they would look worse. 

this has to be one of the weakest Ds in the conference. The forwards playing aggressively and Demko standing on his head make them palatable on many nights. 

BB is a smart coach he knows how to cover this  major wart. Aggressive forecheck and get in their faces in the d zone.  If the roster up front is depleted they look like they did tonight because they can’t carry the play.

finally, you have zero clue about my negativity or positivity regarding this team . My posts here have been overwhelmingly positive during this past awful, for the most part, decade. We are out of a playoff spot after almost 8 years of sucking it up and hoping for daylight. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Who cares about how much he gets  because he will take up north of $7 million and I rather have Miller for that price. Trade Brock and use the money to shore up the D. Its not like Boeser has been a difference maker in any games so far this season. He just floats most games, very slow and loses the puck easily and his shot has not been accurate at all. He is a fringe 25 goal scorer at best.

Miller's ask will probably start at 9.5. I don't know if I want to pay him that much.

I wonder what Boeser's value is. If he gets us a decent RHD, I would trade him but I don't think he will. 

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

He wont walk, JR will re-sign him and trade Boeser, just watch. You keep talking about Miller bringing assets while signing Boeser will be another anchor added to this team, as if we dont have enough of them already. Canucks should sign players that can contribute and get rid of the dead weights.

What are you going to get for Boeser right now? Teams are watching us. They know he isn’t playing well. What do you expect to get in return? He won’t fetch much right now.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Upvote 1

Well the defense offers nothing offensively and that is a problem. We are last in the league in terms of offense from the backend. So it is a problem. Defensively no but you need offense from the backend.

Thats not a surprise with the pylons Benning has assembled from the back end probably under the advise of clowns like Green. We have Hunt  Schenn, Bouroughs, Poolman and Myers who are all slow and provide zero offense. Then we have OEL who has been declining since his Coyotes days and only has like 6 points. The only offense from backend is Hughes and he is playing 30 minutes some nights. JR should trade Boeser and get Klingberg. Somehow trade Poolman and Hamonic to make more cap space.

5 minutes ago, khay said:

Even if Petey is not the cornerstone player to build around, he would still be a useful player in a retool. 

He has the shot, skill, vision, and passing... that's hard to find. I'm sure he will get better with these small miscues that we see in the games this season.

Worst case is that we use him as a winger. I think his scoring rate will be PPG as a winger. As a centerman, I think he is currently 0.6-0.7 PPG if tasked with heavy match ups/defensive responsibilities.

The elite two way centermen like Barkov and prior to him, Kopitar, Toewes, Bergeron, Datsyuk that put up PPG while being elite defensively are hard to find. I think Petey has the defensive IQ to be like one of these guys but it remains to be seen if he can score at a higher rate. 

If Petey is not to be a Selke level player, we need another center or at the least, elite winger with high offensive output to build around.

I'm convinced that Boeser is not that elite winger. I was hoping he would be a 40 goal scorer but he just can't generate shots and shooting opportunities for his teammates with regularity.

I am starting to see a lot of Ryan Nuggent -Hopkins in Pettersson

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Our priority aside from filling the vacant GM position should be to move Boeser at the deadline, and possibly Halak if he’s willing to waiver his NMC.

Boeser doesn’t bring much when you think about it. He scores goals but he’s too streaky. His speed and skating is abysmal, is not physical, and lacks versatility.

He’s too much of a one-dimensional player. He doesn’t have a Backstrom or a Getzlaf getting him tape to tape pucks on his stick which already limits his game because he relies on someone getting him the puck.

You look at his UND days, he had a pure playmaker in Schmaltz and Caggiula who were feeding him pucks. Petey isnt really a playmaker in the sense that he has other priorities than trying to get Boeser the damn puck on his stick. 

We should also be looking at a trade for Dickinson. Clearly Vancouver hasn’t worked out for him, and I don’t care about his intangibles, he’s atrocious offensively and his defensive game is too mediocre to make up that discrepancy. We could use that extra cap hit for Motte. 

Freeing up Boeser for picks/prospects allows us to re-sign Miller and Horvat, which should be our priority in the near future. 

Yep, someone needs to set him up for shots.

The only line that works is Pearson-Miller-Boeser. Pearson and Miller dominate the boards, Boeser sneaks to a soft area and get fed the puck and use his shot. 

He does have a lethal shot. 

I think he has good defensive read to forecheck and backcheck and also is decent on the boards but his skating deficiency prevents him from using those assets effectively.

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Miller's ask will probably start at 9.5. I don't know if I want to pay him that much.

I wonder what Boeser's value is. If he gets us a decent RHD, I would trade him but I don't think he will. 

Miller wont ask for $9.5 million. name me a 70 point players that makes $10 mil. Still, would you rather have Boeser make $7.5 million or Miller make $9.5million? I rather have miller at this point.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I am starting to see a lot of Ryan Nuggent -Hopkins in Pettersson

I don't think that quite fair (not yet anyways).

RNH doesn't have a shot like Pettersson. Pettersson can still win you a game when he's on his game.

I've never seen or heard RNH win the Oilers any game.

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

What are you going to get for Boeser right now? Teams are watching us. They know he isn’t playing well. What do you expect to get in return? He won’t fetch much right now.

He Did lead the team in scoring last year

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I dont care at this point, because once he re-signs for $7.5 million long term  Canucks would then need to pay just to off load Boeser in the future. I would be happy just to get a 1st for Boeser at this point.

11 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Who cares about how much he gets  because he will take up north of $7 million and I rather have Miller for that price. Trade Brock and use the money to shore up the D. Its not like Boeser has been a difference maker in any games so far this season. He just floats most games, very slow and loses the puck easily and his shot has not been accurate at all. He is a fringe 25 goal scorer at best.

The return package still matters. LOL. 

This ain’t NHL20. 

Boeser had a pretty good season last season. Most of the team this year has been underwhelming. It’s probably the reason for why we’re 18-20 on the year. We do need to shore up the defense. But you’re not going to do that through free agency. You gotta build through the draft, and you gotta trade pieces to shore up areas of deficiencies on the roster. Who could net us a high end RHD? Miller? Bo? Brock? 

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

But what are you trading Boeser for right now? A realistic trade please.

a 1st round pick, thats it. Trust me if he re-signs with Canucks, he will become another OEL contract. I dont see Boeser getting better, we have seen enough from him now to decide what to do with him. 

11 minutes ago, khay said:

Would not be surprised if Boeser is traded come this deadline.