The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 25, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree, however we do know what they aren't - based on results, and in the end that is all that really matters in the need for change - isn't it !  They are lying if they don't !

I guess we will see. I would for sure like to see some key guys back here because I’ve been impressed with how they’ve handled themselves with half our key guys out. It has obviously exposed our depth. For me though it doesn’t change the trajectory of how well we have played through adversity. If this was in the first quarter we would have been blown out. So yeah I do think there’s a lot to uncover especially with a lot of our players having down years offensively. It’s not oh this team is trash all of sudden for me anyway.

I’m talking  Bruce’s time here. It’s incredible that we are a game from .500 from the hole we were in and all the crap the team has recently went through. My judgement will be what the team does from here 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Some pretty stupid takes here tonight.

Lots of people who disappeared are suddenly back to complain. Proof that it was never about Benning for a lot of these yahoo's, they will go after the gm and our players no matter what.this place sucks after a loss.

I do find it odd that these people don't seem to realize how depleted this team is and how that leads to the healthy guys playing with guys who shouldn't ever see top 9 ice time.

January was the biggest challenge even before the 9 straight road games multiple bouts of covid outbreaks weeks of at a time and the toughest portion of the schedule and here we are 3 points out of a wildcard about to get healthy while literally having the 31st toughest schedule while every other pacific team minus us and the flames have top 10, top 5 for kings top3 for Oilers.

People really need to step away from the ledge. 

Ok if your going to say that you also have to look at the stats. We are at the bottom in a lot of categories. We aren’t making things up here. The stats show they are a bad team. The offense has been bad, pk bad, defense is ok but it lacks offense. Sooo let’s not pretend they are close.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep a great surprise.

But Halak gives us a better chance of winning. We go with him if he’s good to go.

I agree!

If Demko is unavailable and Halak is ready to go for Thurday's game, we go with Halak. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Dickinson should have just taken a penalty there and bet that the PK kill it off.

He is in a giant slump and Boudreau sends him out in the OT against McDavid.

I think Boudreau is starting to second guess himself just like Green did.

I mean I’m all for rewarding guys for their hustle with a little powerplay time here and there.

But come on! Hoglander and Podkolzin need to be out in overtime. These are young offensive minded players that are built for these situations.

Defending in OT almost guarantees you a loss. Uncle Willy taught us that one.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 4

Just now, DefCon1 said:

At this point, I think its best to trade Boeser and try to extend Miller. I feel like Boeser is just not reliable and too inconsistent to be getting paid north of $7 million. He reminds me of skinner.

Yea. That Skinner deal is really bad

I wouldn't mind trading Brock. But he probably doesn't get us as much as Miller does. 

29 minutes ago, Darius said:

Yup.  They need to build from the net out. They have a good starting point with a young franchise goalie, but other than QH all the other guys on d are replaceable.  They generate almost  0 offence (outside of 43) and make too many mistakes and aren’t particularly good at anything. 

Having Bo, Garland and Pearson back allows them to cover the warts on defence because they can carry more of the play when their lines are set… 

They are the best 5on5 GA in the league but really need to get some points that's for sure.

How quickly you guys forget how good the d has been Jesus they allowed 17 shots on Sunday and have been positive players despite only scoring 7 goals between them.

One bad game shots wise in volume not many 5on5 high danger shots and its back to Myers sucks OEL is an anchor  Tucker at 2.5 is overpaid black bla bla. Every post I read of yours is always the most negative angle and most of what you say doesn't even align with reality, typical of the doom and gloom crowd.

Go back and watch the games where we had 2 multiple d out with covid and we saw Myers, Quinn, OEL step it up. Defense is not an issue right now.

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I wouldn't mind trading Brock. But he probably doesn't get us as much as Miller does. 

I hear some Oiler fans want Benning as their next GM if so I can see Canucks trading Brock to Edmonton for McDavid and a 1st :bigblush:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ok if your going to say that you also have to look at the stats. We are at the bottom in a lot of categories. We aren’t making things up here. The stats show they are a bad team. The offense has been bad, pk bad, defense is ok but it lacks offense. Sooo let’s not pretend they are close.

They are also missing half their top 6, Demko, Hamonic and playing with their 5th stringer. Canucks are not a deep team, what did you expect? Thats why Benning got the boot, he made a shallow team after giving up all those prospects and picks like candy. Now we have to play waiver fodders like Lammikho as the 2nd line C until Horvat gets back.

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

They are also missing half their top 6, Demko, Hamonic and playing with their 5th stringer. Canucks are not a deep team, what did you expect? Thats why Benning got the boot, he made a shallow team after giving up all those prospects and picks like candy. Now we have to play waiver fodders like Lammikho as the 2nd line C until Horvat gets back.

They were bad before that so don’t try to say because they were out these last few games that the stats went down. They had bottom Of the league stats before they were taken out of the lineup. The reality is that we don’t have enough high scoring wingers and dman. Pettersson still isn’t playing elite. So we are missing a lot of things. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Our priority aside from filling the vacant GM position should be to move Boeser at the deadline, and possibly Halak if he’s willing to waiver his NMC.

Boeser doesn’t bring much when you think about it. He scores goals but he’s too streaky. His speed and skating is abysmal, is not physical, and lacks versatility.

He’s too much of a one-dimensional player. He doesn’t have a Backstrom or a Getzlaf getting him tape to tape pucks on his stick which already limits his game because he relies on someone getting him the puck.

You look at his UND days, he had a pure playmaker in Schmaltz and Caggiula who were feeding him pucks. Petey isnt really a playmaker in the sense that he has other priorities than trying to get Boeser the damn puck on his stick. 

We should also be looking at a trade for Dickinson. Clearly Vancouver hasn’t worked out for him, and I don’t care about his intangibles, he’s atrocious offensively and his defensive game is too mediocre to make up that discrepancy. We could use that extra cap hit for Motte. 

Freeing up Boeser for picks/prospects allows us to re-sign Miller and Horvat, which should be our priority in the near future. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Who cares about how much he gets  because he will take up north of $7 million and I rather have Miller for that price. Trade Brock and use the money to shore up the D. Its not like Boeser has been a difference maker in any games so far this season. He just floats most games, very slow and loses the puck easily and his shot has not been accurate at all. He is a fringe 25 goal scorer at best.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Our priority aside from filling the vacant GM position should be to move Boeser at the deadline, and possibly Halak if he’s willing to waiver his NMC.

Boeser doesn’t bring much when you think about it. He scores goals but he’s too streaky. His speed and skating is abysmal, is not physical, and lacks versatility.

He’s too much of a one-dimensional player. He doesn’t have a Backstrom or a Getzlaf getting him tape to tape pucks on his stick which already limits his game because he relies on someone getting him the puck.

You look at his UND days, he had a pure playmaker in Schmaltz and Caggiula who were feeding him pucks. Petey isnt really a playmaker in the sense that he has other priorities than trying to get Boeser the damn puck on his stick. 

We should also be looking at a trade for Dickinson. Clearly Vancouver hasn’t worked out for him, and I don’t care about his intangibles, he’s atrocious offensively and his defensive game is too mediocre to make up that discrepancy. We could use that extra cap hit for Motte. 

Freeing up Boeser for picks/prospects allows us to re-sign Miller and Horvat, which should be our priority in the near future. 

Miller is the only player of value right now that can fix our backend and get us a pick. He might walk if he sees we are not close.

• Upvote 1