The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 25, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, khay said:

Bo is a match up player that can play against opposition's first line without giving up much. He is better than JT at nullifying the opposition's best players.

JT is better offensive player. He can play the puck possession game in the offensive zone much better than Bo. But I wouldn't put JT against the opposition's best players on a consistent basis if I have Bo Horvat.

Trade values are relative that it's hard to answer. 

I think their value is roughly similar -- but because offence is more valued, I think JT gets you more than Bo.

We need both on this team to be competitive.   Neither are replaceable from within.  

Rutherford knows the importance of strength down the middle. Neither are going anywhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Over their last 20 games the Canucks have a .675 winning %, which is good for tenth best in the league from the beginning of that period - Nov. 29 - to now. That's while dealing with the Covid issues as well as some tough competition. 20 games isn't a huge sample but it's also nothing to scoff at. To put it into perspective, that's ~111 point pace over that time. I know some people can't think past the last game but that's pretty encouraging. In terms of competition, their schedule the rest of the way skews a little weak and they have 22 of the 40 remaining games at home. The pace of their schedule doesn't look too bad either, with none of the 5 game in 7 nights stretches that some other teams have. Going to be interesting to see how things go between now and the trade deadline.

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, JM_ said:

oh for sure. 

Its frustrating that Benning got us Miller but also put is in a situation where we have to have this discussion. Lets move Myers and Pearson instead. 

The team needs Myers. Whos going to replace him?   Pearson is one of the few players that is solid along the boards and actually goes to the net. Whos going to replace him?   This isnt fantasy hockey

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Over their last 20 games the Canucks have a .675 winning %, which is good for tenth best in the league from the beginning of that period - Nov. 29 - to now. That's while dealing with the Covid issues as well as some tough competition. 20 games isn't a huge sample but it's also nothing to scoff at. To put it into perspective, that's ~111 point pace over that time. I know some people can't think past the last game but that's pretty encouraging. In terms of competition, their schedule the rest of the way skews a little weak and they have 22 of the 40 remaining games at home. The pace of their schedule doesn't look too bad either, with none of the 5 game in 7 nights stretches that some other teams have. Going to be interesting to see how things go between now and the trade deadline.

I still think we make the playoffs.

Vegas, Flames, Canucks form Pacific division.

With full roster, we should have potted at least 3-4 goals against Koskinen last night and win the game easily. Boudreau's personnel decisions in the OT was infuriating though. And we let the foot off the gas in the 3rd and stopped forechecking. The team failed to give our third string goalie much deserved first win of his career. 

Don't trade Miller unless the package includes 3 pieces: top RHD prospect, NHL roster C or LW, 1st rounder.

Don't trade Horvat period.

At this point, I would entertain Boeser trade if another (cost controlled) NHL roster winger that is faster comes back along with some incentives like a 1st round draft pick.

One possibility is Boeser for Fiala. Fiala is below 6 feet but has a solid build and is a strong skater. He would add another dimension to our offence. Boeser would bring the shooting and goal scoring to Minnesota and they have fast and dynamic players that can set Boeser up to use his lethal shot.

Fiala is an RFA and will ask for around 6 mil, which will be below what Boeser will ask from us. I think Minnesota takes on Boeser if Boeser gives them a hometown discount on his next deal (they probably can't afford him at his 7.5 QO).

Another option is Boeser for Kapanen + 1st. Penguins get another goal scorer, a RHS triggerman for their PP to add to Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel. Right now, I think Rust (RHS) is in their #1PP. I think Boeser would be a valuable add to their PP.

1 hour ago, khay said:

I still think we make the playoffs.

Vegas, Flames, Canucks form Pacific division.

With full roster, we should have potted at least 3-4 goals against Koskinen last night and win the game easily. Boudreau's personnel decisions in the OT was infuriating though. And we let the foot off the gas in the 3rd and stopped forechecking. The team failed to give our third string goalie much deserved first win of his career. 

Don't trade Miller unless the package includes 3 pieces: top RHD prospect, NHL roster C or LW, 1st rounder.

Don't trade Horvat period.

At this point, I would entertain Boeser trade if another (cost controlled) NHL roster winger that is faster comes back along with some incentives like a 1st round draft pick.

One possibility is Boeser for Fiala. Fiala is below 6 feet but has a solid build and is a strong skater. He would add another dimension to our offence. Boeser would bring the shooting and goal scoring to Minnesota and they have fast and dynamic players that can set Boeser up to use his lethal shot.

Fiala is an RFA and will ask for around 6 mil, which will be below what Boeser will ask from us. I think Minnesota takes on Boeser if Boeser gives them a hometown discount on his next deal (they probably can't afford him at his 7.5 QO).

Another option is Boeser for Kapanen + 1st. Penguins get another goal scorer, a RHS triggerman for their PP to add to Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel. Right now, I think Rust (RHS) is in their #1PP. I think Boeser would be a valuable add to their PP.

Wild are 3rd in goals in the entire league.  Scoring is really not an issue.  With how they are built, Boeser is also unlikely to succeed there.  The Wild are not breaking up their top line - simply too good together.  

Boeser would simply takes Fiala's spot alongside Freddy Gaudreau.  He was Penguins 13th/4th liner last season. Fiala has had to make do with marginal players all season with 2 even waived now.   Fiala can drive the line from the wing - Boeser can't.  Things have been looking up since they promoted Boldy but he's not particularly fast and Fiala's speed can compensate. 

Fiala likely available in the off-season because they probably won't have the cap to retain him unless he lowers his ask - was upwards of 7M last off-season.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Wild are 3rd in goals in the entire league.  Scoring is really not an issue.  With how they are built, Boeser is also unlikely to succeed there.  The Wild are not breaking up their top line - simply too good together.  

Boeser would simply takes Fiala's spot alongside Freddy Gaudreau.  He was Penguins 13th/4th liner last season. Fiala has had to make do with marginal players all season with 2 even waived now.   Fiala can drive the line from the wing - Boeser can't.  Things have been looking up since they promoted Boldy but he's not particularly fast and Fiala's speed can compensate. 

Fiala likely available in the off-season because they probably won't have the cap to retain him unless he lowers his ask - was upwards of 7M last off-season.

Right. Fiala has been able to drive his own line. Boeser hasn't.

North of 7 is probably difficult to fit into this team's cap structure anyways.

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

sure, maybe some later round picks? I think the flexibility for the new management team to bring better contracts and fit in matters more in the short term. 

Yeah. I mean, with Myers, I think you can get a decent player in return, because as much flack Myers receives, he’s still a decent player. 

the others, I think later picks is what we’ll get in return. Not going to get too much for them. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

The team needs Myers. Whos going to replace him?   Pearson is one of the few players that is solid along the boards and actually goes to the net. Whos going to replace him?   This isnt fantasy hockey

first yeah we do need Myers and his size especially, Pearson can stay or go, I'm on the fence but Eddie, the CDC embodies fantasy hockey trading at its finest! thanks for the chuckle btw... if it was only half as easy as some people here think, not all but quite a few seem to be all over trading like it's JUST that easy and all you can do is laugh. Laugh even harder when a guy like JT Miller becomes available and for a steal, and yet they listen to the media and think we got F'd over on it. I'll never forget that as long as I live and I still chuckle every time he scores or assists one. 

Miller never ceases to amaze and to top it off last game he stops a goal, passes the puck in all of a few seconds and motte is off to the races. Best all around player on the roster. STEAL!!!

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

oh thanks I thought it was.

• -DLC- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
13 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Replace Myers with Hunt

and 

Pearson with Manyukin when he's ready or 

Palmu

20 hours ago, -DLC- said:

So you "factor in" things in our favour.   "If it weren't for...."

Did you also "factor in"...."If it weren't for"..... being completely decimated by COVID and a schedule more gruelling than any team has ever faced?  Injuries (we were without Petey for a LONG time)?

Also that these guys were just easing their way into the league/line up?  I mean, drafted in the past 4-5 years but you expect them to step in and win it all?

Come on.  Exercise some patience and common sense. 

I'm so tired of hearing that they've "failed" without considering, at least in part, why some of that was understandable.

How are other teams like the Wild, Rangers, Panthers, Ducks, Kings and Av's tearing it up since Covid took over?