The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

10 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

Clarke would enter the conversation when LA is interested in Miller.  I don't see them moving Clarke for Garland.

I would trade Miller AND Garland for a package including both Turcotte and Clarke. 

Don't really see why LA would be loading up on high-end roster players and sending out A-level prospects at this stage in their rebuild arc. 

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Guenther over Turcotte.

I would tend to agree, but I my because I really like Guenther since he was one of my guys that draft. I just know more about him as a player. Could argue a C holds more value then a winger though.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

I would trade Miller AND Garland for a package including both Turcotte and Clarke. 

Don't really see why LA would be loading up on high-end roster players and sending out A-level prospects at this stage in their rebuild arc. 

How old are Doughty and Kopitar?  The Kings might see this as their window opening for the next two years.  Yes, they have young guys too, but will any of those players rise to the level of Doughty and Kopitar?  Highly doubtful.  So they add now while they have young guys playing on ELC's to fit everyone under the cap.  They could go on a couple long runs with both Miller for two playoff years. 

I can see why Turcotte got picked ahead of Zegras, Boldy, Caufield but since his draft year he performed worse in NCAA play, and has been quite poor in the AHL. He has become a Tyler Madden level prospect so a nice piece but definitely not worth giving up Garland for. Motte I would do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I have no interest in Turcotte unless someone can shed some light on why this smallish player who’s putting up below average numbers is worth trading a 50 point cheap contract puck protection stud like Garland?

People are really underestimating Turcotte. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2019/04/06/alex-turcotte-scouting-report/

Alex Turcotte Scouting Report

Skating

Turcotte is an excellent skater. He has a long and powerful stride that makes it very difficult to knock him off the puck. Turcotte is exceptionally quick, he has a very good first step and excellent acceleration. His top-end speed is also very good and just a notch below being great. Once he gets a step on a defender, he can take the puck to the net. That may even improve as he continues to recover from the lower body injury that plagued him early in the season. On top of all that is the fact that Turcotte has a non-stop motor. He is always moving his feet, which keeps him one step ahead of his opponents.

Offensive Game

Turcotte controls the play down low, extending the possession and waiting for teammates to get open. When there is an opportunity, he can make a tough pass through tight spaces. Turcotte also has an excellent wrist shot and a quick release. His snapshot and slap shot are also very good. Turcotte has the soft hands to score goals in tight to the net. He is not afraid to take the punishment in front of the net and has the hand-eye coordination to get tip-ins and pounce on rebounds.

Alex Turcotte is relentless in his play, forechecking hard and causing turnovers in the offensive zone. He is a real thorn in the side of opponents. He also has plenty of skill, with his ability to control the puck and make plays while skating at top speed a real asset to his game. Turcotte could use some improvement making quick moves and changing the angles to open up passing lanes and find open teammates. He is a smart player who reads the play well and keeps the puck moving effectively but often is forced into taking a safe pass instead of creating a great scoring chance.

Defensive Game

Alex Turcotte is excellent in the defensive zone. He reads the play well and keeps himself between his man and the front of the net. Turcotte uses an active stick to poke check opponents as well as to intercept passes. He is extremely effective on the penalty kill. He quickly transitions turnovers to offence. Turcotte is not a big hitter, but he is not afraid to take a hit to make a play. He is also relentless in getting after the puck and getting in the mix in the dirty areas of the ice. Despite the lack of really big hits, he is always in the face of his opponentss

Projection and Comparison

Turcotte’s non-stop motor and offensive skills make him a prospect who can play in any situation and fill any role. He may need some time before he is NHL ready but will get plenty of time to bulk up while playing in the NCAA. With a few small improvements, Turcotte could become a number one centre in time. Even if he never reaches that ceiling and becomes an effective two-way second line centre, he will still be a coach’s favourite due to his defensive game and relentless energy. His game is reminiscent of Ryan O’Reilly, but this is a style comparison and not one based on skill or ability.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I can see why Turcotte got picked ahead of Zegras, Boldy, Caufield but since his draft year he performed worse in NCAA play, and has been quite poor in the AHL. He has become a Tyler Madden level prospect so a nice piece but definitely not worth giving up Garland for. Motte I would do. 

Turcotte is definitely more than just a cut below those other guys, but being a C helps. He still has time to sort things out.

But man, Boldy could ultimately be a JT Miller one day. Wanted that guy so bad, and still do.

Zegras and Caufield are obviously brilliant young players.

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Byfield?  He's been worse than Turcotte.  I agree it's got to be Clarke if Garland goes to the Kings.  Then the sting of losing our first in last draft is lessened.  Plus, we end up with the guy many of us here actually wanted in that draft.  It would be some serious 4D chess by PA if we got Clarke.

Byfield is also only 19 whereas Turcotte is 21 and not even a top performer on his team.

Byfield is a big boy too. Would definitely be a buy low situation with potential to be a home run. 

Villardi and Grans would also be an intriguing combo.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How old are Doughty and Kopitar?  The Kings might see this as their window opening for the next two years.  Yes, they have young guys too, but will any of those players rise to the level of Doughty and Kopitar?  Highly doubtful.  So they add now while they have young guys playing on ELC's to fit everyone under the cap.  They could go on a couple long runs with both Miller for two playoff years. 

Kings are desperate for a top 6 RW.  Doughty is aging and well be an UFA at the end of the year.  I would much rather

trade Boeser than Galand.     Boeser for Turcotte + Helge Grans

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nergish said:

Turcotte is definitely more than just a cut below those other guys, but being a C helps. He still has time to sort things out.

But man, Boldy could ultimately be a JT Miller one day. Wanted that guy so bad, and still do.

Zegras and Caufield are obviously brilliant young players.

Can't win if can't play without the puck.  Turcotte plays the right way.  Being cute with the puck isn't exaclty winning hockey.  We need guys who can play the right way, and don't want any "boy band" look at me go mommy guys.  

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Byfield is also only 19 whereas Turcotte is 21 and not even a top performer on his team.

Byfield is a big boy too. Would definitely be a buy low situation with potential to be a home run. 

Byfield has brains like Virtanen.  Just say no to dumbo.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Kings are desperate for a top 6 RW.  Doughty is aging and well be an UFA at the end of the year.  I would much rather

I like the sounds of Turcotte.  I watched some of the LA AHL games (to see Byfield play) and Turcotte impressed with how responsible he was off the puck.  His game will translate really well to a 200 foot centre.  If would could get lucky enough to land him then we can trade Miller.  Petey, Bo, Turcotte, Lammiko.  That's excellent down the middle.  And all in the right age group

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

People are really underestimating Turcotte. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2019/04/06/alex-turcotte-scouting-report/

Alex Turcotte Scouting Report

Skating

Turcotte is an excellent skater. He has a long and powerful stride that makes it very difficult to knock him off the puck. Turcotte is exceptionally quick, he has a very good first step and excellent acceleration. His top-end speed is also very good and just a notch below being great. Once he gets a step on a defender, he can take the puck to the net. That may even improve as he continues to recover from the lower body injury that plagued him early in the season. On top of all that is the fact that Turcotte has a non-stop motor. He is always moving his feet, which keeps him one step ahead of his opponents.

Offensive Game

Turcotte controls the play down low, extending the possession and waiting for teammates to get open. When there is an opportunity, he can make a tough pass through tight spaces. Turcotte also has an excellent wrist shot and a quick release. His snapshot and slap shot are also very good. Turcotte has the soft hands to score goals in tight to the net. He is not afraid to take the punishment in front of the net and has the hand-eye coordination to get tip-ins and pounce on rebounds.

Alex Turcotte is relentless in his play, forechecking hard and causing turnovers in the offensive zone. He is a real thorn in the side of opponents. He also has plenty of skill, with his ability to control the puck and make plays while skating at top speed a real asset to his game. Turcotte could use some improvement making quick moves and changing the angles to open up passing lanes and find open teammates. He is a smart player who reads the play well and keeps the puck moving effectively but often is forced into taking a safe pass instead of creating a great scoring chance.

Defensive Game

Alex Turcotte is excellent in the defensive zone. He reads the play well and keeps himself between his man and the front of the net. Turcotte uses an active stick to poke check opponents as well as to intercept passes. He is extremely effective on the penalty kill. He quickly transitions turnovers to offence. Turcotte is not a big hitter, but he is not afraid to take a hit to make a play. He is also relentless in getting after the puck and getting in the mix in the dirty areas of the ice. Despite the lack of really big hits, he is always in the face of his opponentss

Projection and Comparison

Turcotte’s non-stop motor and offensive skills make him a prospect who can play in any situation and fill any role. He may need some time before he is NHL ready but will get plenty of time to bulk up while playing in the NCAA. With a few small improvements, Turcotte could become a number one centre in time. Even if he never reaches that ceiling and becomes an effective two-way second line centre, he will still be a coach’s favourite due to his defensive game and relentless energy. His game is reminiscent of Ryan O’Reilly, but this is a style comparison and not one based on skill or ability.

Nice scouting report like most top prospects are.

That doesn’t answer why a supposedly dynamic player is failing to produce at a high end in the AHL at 21.

If he wasn’t a top 5 pick you wouldn’t think much of him.

32 minutes ago, tas said:

how is la trading arizona's prospect to vancouver?

On 2nd thought we’re going all in this year! NYR fans don’t want to trade their good prospects fine we’ll trade them! Getting Giroux and Provorov from the Flyers for as many of NYR’s prospects as it’ll take. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Byfield was a 2nd overall pick in 2020.  Kings are not going to give him up at 19.  The reason he's able to play

in the NHL is due to his hugeness.

Not sure about why Vilardi keeps being cut from the NHL team.  Maybe defensive issues?

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That was my trade proposal except I also included Athanasiou to cover our 3rd line RW spot. Boeser for Athanasiou (keep or flip he is an expiring contract) Turcotte and Grans. I’d probably also flip him if a team gave up a 2nd or 3rd for him.