The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Nope.

Just cause you pencil out a lineup doesn’t mean it will ever happen.

Kakko has also yet to show he can be a first liner.

And Schneider, Turcotte, and Grans are still just what ifs. Turcotte can’t produce at a high level in the AHL yet but he’s gonna be our third line center?

Until those young guys (any young guy) are on our team they are craperolla bustaroo bonsais.  Hate 'em.  If we get them, then we can like 'em. 

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lol. Liljigren will never be an NHL top four dman. 

Well, he has been for periods of time this year on a playoff team and is only 22.  Not a guarantee by any means but has potential for it.  Pairing with OEL as a mentor can only help.  In this situation Myers provides insurance in case he can’t.

3 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

That is not a great looking lineup. You will also be wasting prime years of Pettersson, Hughes and Demko. Not the solution.

This is another excellent point. Pettersson signed a short term contract so he’s not tied to the Canucks’ potential lack of success. So they have to stay on top of things.

22-10-5 I’d a great start.

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Until those young guys (any young guy) are on our team they are craperolla bustaroo bonsais.  Hate 'em.  If we get them, then we can like 'em. 

A lot of potential nothing for two of our best players.

I’d want more than that in a trade.

Gotta be Clarke and Lafreniere for JR to even pick up the phone IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

That is not a great looking lineup. You will also be wasting prime years of Pettersson, Hughes and Demko. Not the solution.

It wouldn’t be this year but you need the bank on significant evolutions from a few of these guys.  If they don’t progress then you’re sunk.  If you do nothing you are also sunk.  Only way to improve is to take some risks. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope.

Just cause you pencil out a lineup doesn’t mean it will ever happen.

Kakko has also yet to show he can be a first liner.

And Schneider, Turcotte, and Grans are still just what ifs. Turcotte can’t produce at a high level in the AHL yet but he’s gonna be our third line center?

While it’s true they aren’t at that level, I feel we need to take the risk.  Our organizational depth isn’t where it needs to be and the only way to do that is to sell a few pieces for more cost control depth that could exceed what we gave up after a couple of years.  If those prospects were all core pieces today they would be untouchable.

There is definitely no magic formula but I’m not sure we’re setup with what we have today.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A lot of potential nothing for two of our best players.

I’d want more than that in a trade.

Gotta be Clarke and Lafreniere for JR to even pick up the phone IMO.

This would obviously be the ideal scenario and if JR can do that we definitely have the right management group now.  I would doubt those guys are moved but who knows.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I honestly don't know why Garland is even in the trade rumors. His last season with the Coyotes was fabulous, with 39 points over 49 games on a horrible team. That projects to a 65 point pace. No, he hasn't been as good since coming here, being on pace for 46 points in a full season. But even that is considered "good" for a 2nd liner.

Then there's his motor, tenacity and agitating qualities, and we have to factor in that he's still in his mid-20's, locked in for 4 years after this one at under 5m.

The only knock I really have on the guy is that he's small and not much of a physical presence despite not being afraid to get his hands dirty. But while he may not be laying out bone-crushing hits, his edgework is fantastic and he manages to squirt out of board battles he would otherwise have no chance of winning so although he's small, I don't feel it's as much a detriment that you'd expect. (Similar to what we see with Q. Hughes.)

I would definitely give him a major plus for his agitating qualities. He reminds me of Burrows in that respect, and we need somebody like that.

8 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

It wouldn’t be this year but you need the bank on significant evolutions from a few of these guys.  If they don’t progress then you’re sunk.  If you do nothing you are also sunk.  Only way to improve is to take some risks. 

I understand what you are saying but the proposal you mentioned in your post is setting us up for disaster. You can't just throw prospects or hype into a 1st line or top 6 and hope for the best. 

45 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

The options are pretty exciting:

Garland for Turcotte and Grans

Miller for Schneider, Kakko and a 1st

Motte for Liljegren 

If those things are possible that would be a major haul and sets us up for years.

I'd make all 3 of those trades. The cupboards would be looking much less bare if we pulled those trades off.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

I understand what you are saying but the proposal you mentioned in your post is setting us up for disaster. You can't just throw prospects or hype into a 1st line or top 6 and hope for the best. 

Fully agreed.  That wouldn’t be the lineup after the trade deadline but rather where we hope it gets to in a couple years.  Unlikely they all match expectations but if a couple do then we are at least at neutral value.

8 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Well, he has been for periods of time this year on a playoff team and is only 22.  Not a guarantee by any means but has potential for it.  Pairing with OEL as a mentor can only help.  In this situation Myers provides insurance in case he can’t.

Liljigren may have been tried top four, but he hasn't played at a top four level. He's brutal. Falls down plenty because he's weak. His hockey IQ is constantly questioned. He's only on Toronto because they can't afford better and I believe he isn't waiver wire eligible. He's at a level similar to Juolevi. Ask or read up on the Toronto fan boards. The common consensus is that he shouldn't even be in the NHL. So now you have a player who really should be in the minors perfecting his craft, but is instead getting blown up in the NHL. Problem is I believe he can't go to the minors without passing through waivers. He's brutal, and this fan base should stop looking at his draft position. Even TO fans and media have very little positive to say about Liljigren. That's a red flag in itself as that fan base is always looking for a hero. Heck, if Dubas laced up his skates and scored a goal at the Christmas Family skate the fans would probably want him on the team. Stay away from Liljigren, soft, weak, and shares the same hockey IQ as Jake.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, JM_ said:

they might. They do need more scoring if they are going to get past EDM or Cowgary. 

I'd be ecstatic if we can poach Clarke for the price of Garland.  However, I don't think LA would give us their top blue-chip prospect for Garland.  They probably could do better elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Liljigren may have been tried top four, but he hasn't played at a top four level. He's brutal. Falls down plenty because he's weak. His hockey IQ is constantly questioned. He's only on Toronto because they can't afford better and I believe he isn't waiver wire eligible. He's at a level similar to Juolevi. Ask or read up on the Toronto fan boards. The common consensus is that he shouldn't even be in the NHL. So now you have a player who really should be in the minors perfecting his craft, but is instead getting blown up in the NHL. Problem is I believe he can't go to the minors without passing through waivers. He's brutal, and this fan base should stop looking at his draft position. Even TO fans and media have very little positive to say about Liljigren. That's a red flag in itself as that fan base is always looking for a hero. Heck, if Dubas laced up his skates and scored a goal at the Christmas Family skate the fans would probably want him on the team. Stay away from Liljigren, soft, weak, and shares the same hockey IQ as Jake.

You could be right but if the price is Motte I think it’s worth the risk.  I was earlier referencing this write-up which is likely only marginally better than fan reaction:  

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2022/03/13/evaluating-timothy-liljegrens-play-in-his-first-full-nhl-season/

I know that he was highly regarded in his draft year and then took a step back or two with mono.  Question is whether he is improving or just a complete bust.  Given his age I’d be willing to take a risk with Motte if that is the cost.  Motte is great but Lockwood may replace him at a fraction of the cost.  

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Fully agreed.  That wouldn’t be the lineup after the trade deadline but rather where we hope it gets to in a couple years.  Unlikely they all match expectations but if a couple do then we are at least at neutral value.

Which brings me back to my OP. Can't afford to waste Pettersson, Hughes and Demko prime years. I think the solution right now is to surround them the best you can with effective proven NHL players.

10 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I'd make all 3 of those trades. The cupboards would be looking much less bare if we pulled those trades off.

Stock the cupboards and gut the team.

Having a good prospect pool does not necessarily mean we’ll have a good team.

Could be setting ourselves back 5 years with those deals.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Stock the cupboards and gut the team.

Having a good prospect pool does not necessarily mean we’ll have a good team.

Could be setting ourselves back 5 years with those deals.

But where are we exactly right now?  We are not a playoff team.  We are capped out.  We have several bad contracts.  Maybe we need to rebuild?