The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Jan. 31, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, I kind of liked Petey on the wing with Bo. Team definitely played great. BB said when the team is fully healthy you'll likely see Hogz Petey Pods on a line. Moving forward though I'm having serious doubts about Petey as a top 2 Center. He's either a real expensive third liner or he may have to switch to the wing or have a baby sitter like Miller take all the draws. We'll see what happens but Petey is struggling mightily with maturity at this stage.

FO needs work no doubt but for me he's best used as a centre because he seems more impactful maybe due to plays usually running through a center and he's a good 200 foot player who is better served in the open opposed to the boards imoho.

I don't worry too much about him since as strange as his game had been he's still likely to get 20 goals 50 points despite of everything. Tho I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue to maintain his pace of the last little while and see him end up with numbers more like the previous seasons but I'm an optimist lol.

One thing that wouldn't surprise me is if he ends up with more goals over assists since he's usually the best option on his line unlike the lotto line days where JT send Brock are both capable of 30+ goals.

The games with Horvat I've noticed that their games just don't mesh all that well, Horvat is a bull that 99% of the time will shoot over passing even when there have been 2 or 3 plays where Petey would have been the better option. 

For me I think Brock and him should get another look under Bruce. Both were at their worst earlier in the season but historically they have been so good together and Brock just seems to know where to be and vice-versa. 

Watchng highlights of either from the previous 2 seasons and the amount of times they appeared together seems like its worth re-visiting.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

FO needs work no doubt but for me he's best used as a centre because he seems more impactful maybe due to plays usually running through a center and he's a good 200 foot player who is better served in the open opposed to the boards imoho.

I don't worry too much about him since as strange as his game had been he's still likely to get 20 goals 50 points despite of everything. Tho I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue to maintain his pace of the last little while and see him end up with numbers more like the previous seasons but I'm an optimist lol.

One thing that wouldn't surprise me is if he ends up with more goals over assists since he's usually the best option on his line unlike the lotto line days where JT send Brock are both capable of 30+ goals.

The games with Horvat I've noticed that their games just don't mesh all that well, Horvat is a bull that 99% of the time will shoot over passing even when there have been 2 or 3 plays where Petey would have been the better option. 

For me I think Brock and him should get another look under Bruce. Both were at their worst earlier in the season but historically they have been so good together and Brock just seems to know where to be and vice-versa. 

Watchng highlights of either from the previous 2 seasons and the amount of times they appeared together seems like its worth re-visiting.

Yeah I can agree with all of this. I hope as well that he ends up playing Center as it's such an important position. I like what you've said about being more of a goal-scorer without Boes and Miller. He and Bo play different games for sure but it's an interesting look. Really seemed to keep Chi off their game. Getting bullied by Bo constantly only to have #40 pop up and pull some slick entry moves or passing play. With Petey he's got to manage the puck a bit better and then just get stronger of course. Hopefully this year he's actually learning some more of the subtilties of playing 200 ft at the NHL level. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, I kind of liked Petey on the wing with Bo. Team definitely played great. BB said when the team is fully healthy you'll likely see Hogz Petey Pods on a line. Moving forward though I'm having serious doubts about Petey as a top 2 Center. He's either a real expensive third liner or he may have to switch to the wing or have a baby sitter like Miller take all the draws. We'll see what happens but Petey is struggling mightily with maturity at this stage.

He might just need a healthy off-season of training. Even though he posted videos of himself shooting pucks in the basement last summer, it sounds like he was still dealing with the wrist injury for most of it. 

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But the number of times he gets prime chances and the puck just dies on his stick is frustrating as hell. 

Just like for every good play Hunt does, he makes 2-3 boneheaded ones. 

It's true. But atleast there is a bottom line with Chiasson, and when he's on he can bring an element like puck possession down-low that can help a line. 

Hunt I agree, haven't been very impressed by him & unlike Chiasson haven't really seen anything to mitigate the issues.

58 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He might just need a healthy off-season of training. Even though he posted videos of himself shooting pucks in the basement last summer, it sounds like he was still dealing with the wrist injury for most of it. 

I'm thinking, maybe even hoping, that the wrist injury is still affecting him.  (As long as he will eventually get back to 100%). Its still so disconcerting to watch him fumble and bumble simply taking a routine pass. Or lose the puck once again trying a deke play around an opponent, when that also used to be routine in his first year here.  Still seeing too much of his play where his head is wanting to things his body (or wrist) cannot do.

13 hours ago, sassbs said:

I feel DiPietro won’t be with Vancouver that long.  He’s an AHL goalie at best.  All the starts he’s had, he has not impressed.  

Yup, write a guy off completely after 3 less than ideal games and at only 22 years old. 

Edited by canuck73_3

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah hopefully he takes all the criticisms and puts in super human alien work in the off-season and comes back in beast mode!

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yup, write a guy off completely after 3 less than ideal games and at only 22 years old. 

Lol I went through the same kind of comments when I said the same thing about Virtanen.  

the only reason I think this is he has been given 3 Chances to really shine.   And he hasn’t. 

For example, Martin.  A guy who spends all of his time in the AHL, absolutely killed it when he was called up.   Yes he lost games, but he was stellar.   He deserves a backup chance.

martin hasn’t been given many opportunities but when he has been given them, he capitalized.

just saying….  

Edited by sassbs

3 hours ago, sassbs said:

Lol I went through the same kind of comments when I said the same thing about Virtanen.  

the only reason I think this is he has been given 3 Chances to really shine.   And he hasn’t. 

For example, Martin.  A guy who spends all of his time in the AHL, absolutely killed it when he was called up.   Yes he lost games, but he was stellar.   He deserves a backup chance.

martin hasn’t been given many opportunities but when he has been given them, he capitalized.

just saying….  

Virtanen was always a bit of a project so that isn’t a bold prediction imo. Writing off a 22 year old goalie is beyond dumb.