The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Cammi Granato as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

She's only one member of the team. And there's two in senior management. The rest are men. Castonguay has analytics, and agent experience. Now we have Cammi from the scout side of things. This gives the GM lots more insight. There's 19 people involved in the Canucks scouting staff in various levels. Not including Derek Clancey who is also an assistant GM and has a scouting background as well. Building consensus. Managing the cap, and players properly, and getting the most out of our draft picks will be priority.

I'm not sure if JB was sort of a control freak where he wanted to do everything. But hopefully we'll never hear things like. "We ran out of time.." ever again. 

Amen.  She probably won't tell the media openly that she's in contact with other clubs' protected players either.  Can't be worse than Benning

9 hours ago, Kovalchuk said:

Amen.  She probably won't tell the media openly that she's in contact with other clubs' protected players either.  Can't be worse than Benning

Bottom line is. If she can't tell the difference in Men's hockey between a great player, and a lousy player, then I would question the signing. 

So if she says that Hunt is the best Canucks defenceman, and that Hughes is a train wreck waiting to happen. Then I would ask why did management hire her?

For all we know. She had a list of players that Seattle should have targeted. And Ron Francis ignored the advice. 

14 hours ago, Kovalchuk said:

No they don't hit, it's considered illegal.  It's not played the same way when you can skate through the middle with your head down and don't need to worry about having your career ended, and being forechecked isn't scary as a d-man because you aren't getting crushed into the end boards etc.  Far different mental and physical game.  

She played at the highest women's level, which is equivalent to Midget AAA boys.  Nobody is saying they know more than her, they're just saying the women's game is a lot different, because it is.

You do understand that she's not actually going to be playing on the team?

Edited by ruututuutu

58 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

A promotion?

Yeah, exactly.

And not exactly “jumping ship” for Granato to accept a significant offer at the much higher position of AGM, working in the city she and her family have called home for the past 20 years or so, after 2.5 years working for the Kraken as a pro scout.

Right time. Right place. Dream opportunity. 

I can’t imagine anyone in Seattle begrudging her for jumping at this opportunity. Short of making her Kraken GM, there’s no way they could even match and retain her (given the hometown factor).

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:22 PM, Jaimito said:

Like this hire 

We will hear no more from Ray than her in the media for sure. Just get the job done.

maybe Ray never speaks about the Canucks again

you know the old saying, "happy wife..."

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/10/2022 at 8:07 PM, EddieVedder said:

Mens game is way more physical.  To a level i think is being overlooked in this thread.  Theres also a huge psychological element in terms of intimidation, gamesmanship, etc that you dont see in the womens game.  Its a completely different beast.   I hope cami does well, but the mens game is vastly different to that of the womens. 

She's not joining the team to play. You know that right. Just making sure.

On 2/12/2022 at 6:10 PM, N4ZZY said:

Yes. True. The position the Canucks offered definitely a promotion to what she was doing in Seattle. I’m glad she took it. 

Everyone gets a start somewhere. Pro scout to AGM seems like a natural career progression, especially for a hall of famer.