The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Cammi Granato as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I like it.

Lots of energy there, plus the experience of watching the team for a long time.

Yeah, her 20 year history of calling Vancouver “home” is a bonus. Always a plus to have someone join the team who really knows the character of this city and its fanbase (both the good and the bad).

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I have no problem with women working in hockey, I have a problem with the fact that we have a history of hiring people for GM, assistant GM, head coach, assistant coach who have very little to no experience at the nhl level in the roles. And look how that has gone for us, mediocrity and a constant rebuild as they learn on the fly…. You may want to

make this about what sex she is, but it’s about lack of experience in our organization again. Rutherford is not young and has to be retiring in the next couple of years, so then all we have are newly minted people in positions with no leader. 

Rutherford, Allvin, and Clancey have plenty of experience to go around. 

Lots of successful teams have assistant GMs with little experience. That’s actually the trend now if you’ve been following. The old thinking that you have to hire someone who has been a GM, or a director of player development, or head scout is becoming less and less prevalent.

Presidents and GMs are seeing more value in picking the right people rather than just people with the most experience. That’s where we’re seeing some great ex players jump right into the role of GM. Players who have played their whole lives and played on championship teams have more insight into the game than people who have simply watched hockey their whole lives.

I think you’re equating Benning and Greens failures to the idea that inexperienced GMs can’t be successful. When in fact the contrary is true. These people are more likely to bring new ideas and perspectives to the table. It’s a much better approach than hiring GMs who are still chasing the cups they missed out on 20-30 years ago.

I like the way JR has built the front office. Seems like a great array of talent and people who will be hungry to prove themselves.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think this is the understatement of the thread.

JR appears to be building a management team in the same way as he would build what he thinks would be a team on the ice that could contend for the cup annually.  He and one or two others (Clancey, Allvin, and to a certain extent even Smyl) are the grizzled veteran backbone, and then he's got his up-and-coming talented core (Castonguay, Granato, the Sedins, and whoever else they bring on board).  He's likely even set up a prospect pool, much of which has probably been done without much fanfare (excluding perhaps Doerrie).

Creating a functioning production line of executives, directors, and managers with potential to train/develop their talent, overseen by a wise and experienced leadership group, is just good business sense towards creating a consistent winner.

I just hope that the lines of communication between all these talented individuals are always open and without filters.

It’s been encouraging to hear just about every new hire use the words “collaborative,” “open,” “forward thinking,” “different perspectives,” etc, when describing Rutherford and the team he’s building here.

I’m choosing to believe these are not merely buzzwords and lip service, but truly a core tenet of how JR really wants hockey operations to “operate” in Vancouver.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lots of successful teams have assistant GMs with little experience. That’s actually the trend now if you’ve been following. The old thinking that you have to hire someone who has been a GM, or a director of player development, or head scout is becoming less and less prevalent.

Presidents and GMs are seeing more value in picking the right people rather than just people with the most experience. That’s where we’re seeing some great ex players jump right into the role of GM. Players who have played their whole lives and played on championship teams have more insight into the game than people who have simply watched hockey their whole lives.

I think you’re equating Benning and Greens failures to the idea that inexperienced GMs can’t be successful. When in fact the contrary is true. These people are more likely to bring new ideas and perspectives to the table. It’s a much better approach than hiring GMs who are still chasing the cups they missed out on 20-30 years ago.

I like the way JR has built the front office. Seems like a great array of talent and people who will be hungry to prove themselves.

I have to admit that for the first time in years I'm actually feeling like the team is actually going to build a structure with solid foundations.  I can't wait to see the Tear-down begin and all the deadwood and overpriced boat-anchors pushed out to sea once and for all.    JR has a very long and established track record of NOT tolerating mediocre results by palyers, so I fully expect he'll gut well more than half the current roster over the next two years.    I'm excited!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You’re right, I am attributing our past failures with newly minted coaches, presidents, GMs, and assistant GMs of our past to what is currently happening. I’m fairly tired of us being a place for people to come and learn how to do their jobs. I like to see that they already have connections around the league, and a track history of either success or failure. I want a cup, and teaching new people I think will just delay the process of us getting there 

1 hour ago, kylecanuck said:

I have no problem with women working in hockey, I have a problem with the fact that we have a history of hiring people for GM, assistant GM, head coach, assistant coach who have very little to no experience at the nhl level in the roles. And look how that has gone for us, mediocrity and a constant rebuild as they learn on the fly…. You may want to

make this about what sex she is, but it’s about lack of experience in our organization again. Rutherford is not young and has to be retiring in the next couple of years, so then all we have are newly minted people in positions with no leader. 

The big difference is developing and delegating vs just using the people under you.

JR focuses on developing the inexperienced with potential to reach their potential and being trustful enough to delegate and spread out responsibility. He's developed many top management level people around the league.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

You’re right, I am attributing our past failures with newly minted coaches, presidents, GMs, and assistant GMs of our past to what is currently happening. I’m fairly tired of us being a place for people to come and learn how to do their jobs. I like to see that they already have connections around the league, and a track history of either success or failure. I want a cup, and teaching new people I think will just delay the process of us getting there 

Rutherford has three cups.

He has more experience than any other GM we’ve ever had.

He could teach a masterclass in building successful organizations. I’m not too worried.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Rutherford has three cups.

He has more experience than any other GM we’ve ever had.

He could teach a masterclass in building successful organizations. I’m not too worried.

Haha, no doubt.

Rutherford probably has more senior management experience than the entire executive staff (ie: GM, AGMs, and Department Directors) of Tampa Bay Lightning hockey operations.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

The big difference is developing and delegating vs just using the people under you.

JR focuses on developing the inexperienced with potential to reach their potential and being trustful enough to delegate and spread out responsibility. He's developed many top management level people around the league.

Which is why JR promoting Alwyn makes so much sense...

3 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

if experience is so important, maybe try deferring to the guy who has the most. his philosophy is that everybody has to start somewhere, and intelligent people with diverse backgrounds have a lot to contribute. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

Hey I heard Holland has lots of experience as a GM and has won cups. Maybe we should hire him, another dinosaur when he gets fired from the Oilers so you can be happy having a retread.

Look at Tampa Bay, Julien Brisbois

Colorado has Sakic as a GM who didnt have any GM experience

Montreal hired Kent Hughes who is a scout

Now look at Edmonton who hired an experienced GM in Holland 

3 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

This time its different because JR is running the ship as president and will groom the newely minted GM. He will have a say in any major moves and they will probably discuss things in a group. Also Allvin will have an experienced AGM in clancy who worked with him in pittsburgh while the other 2 AGMs in Castonguay and Granato will bring in fresh prespective to the hockey ops. JR provides all the experience we need at the top while building this management team. Its better than that one man operation with a so called experienced GM in Holland running things while grandpa Nicholson is probably taking his daily naps

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Which is why JR promoting Alwyn makes so much sense...

For the GM he hired someone that was not totally green, who has worked in many aspects of hockey ops and was ready to become a GM. Dont see any problems with that. If you wanted Tulsky or MacFarland, then I guess they were not available for interviews or did not want to be working under JR and not having full control of the team and staff. Allvin was familiar, true but he is probably most compatible with JR and how he operates. 

20 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Hey I heard Holland has lots of experience as a GM and has won cups. Maybe we should hire him, another dinosaur when he gets fired from the Oilers so you can be happy having a retread.

Look at Tampa Bay, Julien Brisbois

Colorado has Sakic as a GM who didnt have any GM experience

Montreal hired Kent Hughes who is a scout

Now look at Edmonton who hired an experienced GM in Holland 

That’s awesome that you’ve found evidence of it working in other organizations, unfortunately our track record is terrible when it comes to training our GMs, coaches, presidents…. At some point we need to stop hiring new people in

positions

13 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

This time its different because JR is running the ship as president and will groom the newely minted GM. He will have a say in any major moves and they will probably discuss things in a group. Also Allvin will have an experienced AGM in clancy who worked with him in pittsburgh while the other 2 AGMs in Castonguay and Granato will bring in fresh prespective to the hockey ops. JR provides all the experience we need at the top while building this management team. Its better than that one man operation with a so called experienced GM in Holland running things while grandpa Nicholson is probably taking his daily naps

I agree it’s awesome we have Rutherford, but he is 72 and nearly out the door. So unless these hirings work out perfect we are going to be starting again in a few years.