The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Feb. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I hate them.   Weber IMO was/is a better D then Doughty by quite a margin, if he scored two goals instead in Sochi, which of course he could have easily done, the massive love affair which finally resulted in a Norris trophy wouldn't have happened.   Karlsson did more with less during that span.    At least now we know he's just a putz.   lol ... I don't hate Doughty, i just think he was massively overrated. 

Well I do... :)

hate everything Kings and Sharks... Think its mainly because of several refereeing shockers over the years involving these two opponents...

Edited by spook007

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Realistically, this is a playoff team. 

Their record under BB is clearly that. Their record under TG needs to be thrown out because guy had no clue. 

Its much more accurate to look at the last 32 games under BB than the 28 under TG. The 32 games under BB is an accurate representation of the team. We wom some games we didn't deserve and lost. Aome we deserved to win. We had one really disappointing loss (NYI) Like how bad was this team under TG and co that even with BB's record here we are still on the outside looking in. 

We may not be Tampa calibre but we are a top 3 Pacific team. This is with Brock, Petey having off years. 

Demko is a major part of this team. Look at what Price did last year. 

With a franchise goalie, anything is possible. 

If I was a top seed, Vancouver would be the team I would be scared to play. 

We just might become fully healthy in time for the playoff push.  Poolman hopefully comes back soon.and Sutter as well. Demko is capable of standing on his head. We took Vegas to 7 with him.

Looking at the next 14 games heading into the TDL, i think we are capable of going 10-4. 

We have to get those special teams working, before we can compete with the big boys................that is plain and simple. It is what is costing us the most, and what takes us down in the playoffs, if we don't.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Kind of frustrating that they don’t seem to be able to put it all together for a game.

Like if they score 4 goals a night and Demko plays like he can they can cruise to alot of wins.

Just need to find that consistency. This team

is capable of winning every night if everyone’s contributing.

Id like to see a convincing win at some point here.

We’ve seen convincing wins since Boudreau took over.

Time to try something different on the PP. Maybe OEL as the left point shooter and move Hughes over. Shots on net seem to be OEL's forte. 

Try Myers as net front screen. 

Lack of PP success seems to be draining the enthusiasm of the guys. 

Coach B can't let them be hanging their heads after failing to score. 

I'd like to see where we are getting our shots from. 

46 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Their record under BB is clearly that. Their record under TG needs to be thrown out because guy had no clue. 

Its much more accurate to look at the last 32 games under BB than the 28 under TG. The 32 games under BB is an accurate representation of the team. We wom some games we didn't deserve and lost. Aome we deserved to win. We had one really disappointing loss (NYI) Like how bad was this team under TG and co that even with BB's record here we are still on the outside looking in. 

We may not be Tampa calibre but we are a top 3 Pacific team. This is with Brock, Petey having off years. 

We just might become fully healthy in time for the playoff push.  Poolman hopefully comes back soon.and Sutter as well. Demko is capable of standing on his head. We took Vegas to 7 with him.

Looking at the next 14 games heading into the TDL, i think we are capable of going 10-4. 

They are 7-6-3 in their last 16, the Bruce bump is over and was a long time ago now. We have a last place penalty kill, 21st place powerplay which has been terrible as of late. Have missed the playoff 6 of 7 years and likely 2 years in a row now, are 26th in goals for and struggle mightily with consistency. 

I'm not trying to be obtuse or disrespectful - but did you actually insinuate that Poolman coming back soon will be a boost to this team??? Poolman might not even start again because he's being outplayed by Burroughs who makes 1/3 of what he does and Schenn who also makes 1/3 of what Poolman does. Saying Sutter and Poolman coming back will boost this team is kind of insane, Sutter isn't even coming back this year and is a free agent at season's end. The Canucks will not be re--signing him. This is just rose colored glasses man....It's cool you're optimistic and positive but the reason's you stated aren't even logical. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Vintage 2

53 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Realistically Green has been coaching since 2008.    He's a little too cerebral for his own good - but we can't say that Bruce would have started with this much roster change (again, last year just as much if not more ) to start this season and expect a .685ish winning percentage either the entire way.  

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

They are 7-6-3 in their last 16, the Bruce bump is over and was a long time ago now. We have a last place penalty kill, 21st place powerplay which has been terrible as of late. Have missed the playoff 6 of 7 years and likely 2 years in a row now, are 26th in goals for and struggle mightily with consistency. 

I'm not trying to be obtuse or disrespectful - but did you actually insinuate that Poolman coming back soon will be a boost to this team??? Poolman might not even start again because he's being outplayed by Burroughs who makes 1/3 of what he does and Schenn who also makes 1/3 of what Poolman does. Saying Sutter and Poolman coming back will boost this team is kind of insane, Sutter isn't even coming back this year and is a free agent at season's end. The Canucks will not be re--signing him. This is just rose colored glasses man....It's cool you're optimistic and positive but the reason's you stated aren't even logical. 

Part of those 16 games of course were the toughest part of the schedule, and we ran without 2/3 our top six and our 3/4th string goalies.    We can be a little more patient.   Lately we've been winning again...let's see how things go for the second half of this month before declaring us anything. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yes they were 6th in the conference - L.A was a talented team with a winning record which made the playoffs 5 years in a row and won rounds in every one of those. I'm not about to compare them to the Canucks for obvious reasons. In that span they had 9 winning seasons in a row. Those statistics are almost polar opposite of this franchise. I agree though anything can happen, I'll be right there yelling at the T.V  when it does!

One last thing.   LA actually is doing better this year then the one they won their first cup.  Or about the same...what happened back then wouldn't be any different then them winning yet another cup - playing COL in the first round lol... beating them in five games and then we can even hate them more.    Unless Edler is healthy and plays throughout in which case i suppose it would be ok.   

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Part of those 16 games of course were the toughest part of the schedule, and we ran without 2/3 our top six and our 3/4th string goalies.    We can be a little more patient.   Lately we've been winning again...let's see how things go for the second half of this month before declaring us anything. 

Totally fair, I just cringe when people talk about that 7 game streak. The team was fired up with a brand new coach etc. The honeymoon is over, what happens now is all that matters and at our pace as of late we are basically a .500 team - that needs to change and right away. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

The team has been heavily influenced by Covid over that period as well as playing almost the 5th string goalie... may not all have been pretty, but wouldn't put too much emphasis on that... lets see over the next 6-10 games... 

PK had actually been decent again until last night, where it looked like Baumer had taken over the D duties again... 

If it is as bad against Ducks, yeah then we can start to question it, but to say the Bruce bump is over is a bit premature...

4 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Totally fair, I just cringe when people talk about that 7 game streak. The team was fired up with a brand new coach etc. The honeymoon is over, what happens now is all that matters and at our pace as of late we are basically a .500 team - that needs to change and right away. 

Absolutely.   That said i can't believe we even managed .350 during this stretch (not just goaltending which was really good for sure too)..   Getting Motte back and making the Lammy/Highmore line had a lot to do with what carried us.    Let's just see if they can back into some winning now that we have a mostly complete roster.   Team needs to win 2/3 for the duration.  

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

One last thing.   LA actually is doing better this year then the one they won their first cup.  Or about the same...what happened back then wouldn't be any different then them winning yet another cup - playing COL in the first round lol... beating them in five games and then we can even hate them more.    Unless Edler is healthy and plays throughout in which case i suppose it would be ok.   

Yep - I mean 100% anything can happen once you're in...problem is people are talking like we are in or we have good chances. We don't, we have terrible odds of making it and would have to go on an unbelievable heater and teams ahead of us who have been winning all of a sudden have to start losing...lots. The truth is we likely aren't making the playoffs......again. Hence why management will likely be making major changes as we have no cap room to improve the team, no matter how many fans want to hold on to this group. Demko, Hughes, Pettersson  and maybe Horvat have to stay. The rest they would listen on the rest for the right place. 

No matter how much we love Miller, if a team were to offer a 1st, an elite prospect and a really good young roster player they will likely take it - and they should. As professional NHL general managers and scouts, I'm not about to sit and and disagree with them as if I know more about building and managing NHL roster. If a team is up against the cap and misses the playoffs routinely, they will make changes - that's not acceptable in the NHL. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yep - I mean 100% anything can happen once you're in...problem is people are talking like we are in or we have good chances. We don't, we have terrible odds of making it and would have to go on an unbelievable heater and teams ahead of us who have been winning all of a sudden have to start losing...lots. The truth is we likely aren't making the playoffs......again. Hence why management will likely be making major changes as we have no cap room to improve the team, no matter how many fans want to hold on to this group. Demko, Hughes, Pettersson  and maybe Horvat have to stay. The rest they would listen on the rest for the right place. 

No matter how much we love Miller, if a team were to offer a 1st, an elite prospect and a really good young roster player they will likely take it - and they should. As professional NHL general managers and scouts, I'm not about to sit and and disagree with them as if I know more about building and managing NHL roster. If a team is up against the cap and misses the playoffs routinely, they will make changes - that's not acceptable in the NHL. 

Hey i agree with this.   But let's just see how it goes.   We keep winning the week and Miller keeps scoring a couple things happen and both are benefiting the long run.     I'm just glad they haven't brought their own big ego's into it, and are taking their time before doing anything drastic.

Edit:  When I say big ego's, i mean not putting their stamps on the team right away.   Teams played well under Bruce, both at the beginning and during their tough part of the schedule with a lot of guys missing. So let's just see.  I doubt we make the playoffs too.   So does everyone.   But i've seen it happen before - and if we do - well who would want to play us in the first round?!    Hope it's CAL really IF it happens, but Vegas would be fine too. 

Edited by IBatch

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The team has been heavily influenced by Covid over that period as well as playing almost the 5th string goalie... may not all have been pretty, but wouldn't put too much emphasis on that... lets see over the next 6-10 games... 

PK had actually been decent again until last night, where it looked like Baumer had taken over the D duties again... 

If it is as bad against Ducks, yeah then we can start to question it, but to say the Bruce bump is over is a bit premature...

Well......That 5th string goalie posted a 1.59 GAA and .958 save percentage and played lights out. He received almost no goal support in every game other than the win in Winnipeg. If you're going to say that having this 5th string goalie is the reason we lost, at least make sure he played poorly or was the reason they lost. The reason they lost is they couldn't score goals - not his fault. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Vintage 1

the PP is stationary it have 0 movement everyone is just passing back and forth between stationary guys.. other team just stand there in their formation and take away all the shooting lane or block all the shots.. the guy with the puck would move a couple feet.. the guys without the puck just stands there like a pylon.. pretty easy to predict where the puck is going.. the pk is even worse.. can't win a draw can't clear the puck over commits. i have no interest in seeing what this team can do in the playoff if they make it coz we all already know how it'll end.. don't care about the anything can happen narrative.. we know exactly what will happen with a PP and PK like that in the playoff. Demko will stand on his head like the vegas series and we'll lose coz our special team blows. this team needs personel change on the ice bad.