The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Think we feel the same way about him? Confused start off by saying you disagree then end with I don’t disagree haha.

On our team he’s not a fit in the top 4 and isn’t good enough to carry a guy on the bottom pairing. 

think we agree here

I disagreed with your first part. Agreed with your second. He's a perfectly fine 2nd pair D. He's not a fit in OUR top 4 given our other personnel.

Many here can't seem to grasp that both can occur at the same time. Not being a fit with our other top 4 personnel doesn't mean he's not a top 4 D.

Again, pair Myers with a "McNabb" and I doubt many would be complaining about him/the pair. But we don't have a "McNabb" and we're unlikely to get one behind Hughes and OEL. Ergo, he's not a fit here. Doesn't mean he can't be a perfectly capable top 4 D on another team where he's more suited, with an appropriate partner.

There's so much more to building a team than just collecting players. You need an identity, a plan, players who fit that plan, complement eachother etc. A Methot on one team is a depth defensive D. With Karlsson, he's a safety net that lets him soar. You need management that's able to see how pieces actually fit together. It's a TEAM sport.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I hope we get to see a Myers trade this weekend. A right side of Schenn, Bear and Burroughs would actually be better, or at least less gaffe prone.

Bear is playing well enough to make Myers tradable. 

I hope so too. Hope it doesn’t cost us too much to move him. I think this all seems very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I hope so too. Hope it doesn’t cost us too much to move him. I think this all seems very unlikely. 

The only thing it costs us is retention likely and not much maybe 1.   And maybe we get a late round pick back.   Myers vs Muzzin... I'm sure as soon a he puts on the skates, he will be the 'missing link" in TO's search for the cup lol.   One thing that Myers has done well his entire career, is amp his game up in the post season.   Some just play like it's a regular season game,  others wilt.   And then there are the Anderson's, Williams, Lindens etc that have another set of gears.   Myers has one in his gear set just depends if he tightens and lubes them first lol.   But i expect this.   Pool Party Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

The only thing it costs us is retention likely and not much maybe 1.   And maybe we get a late round pick back.   Myers vs Muzzin... I'm sure as soon a he puts on the skates, he will be the 'missing link" in TO's search for the cup lol.   One thing that Myers has done well his entire career, is amp his game up in the post season.   Some just play like it's a regular season game,  others wilt.   And then there are the Anderson's, Williams, Lindens etc that have another set of gears.   Myers has one in his gear set just depends if he tightens and lubes them first lol.   But i expect this.   Pool Party Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

If we can move Myers without it costing us other assets I will be surprised, very pleasantly. He was terrible for us in the bubble playoffs. Couldn’t stay out of the box. 
‘Cap space is most valuable asset in NHL atm. If we can open 4-6M up without costing us a first or second rounder that is a major coup for the so far unimpressive management group. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

If we can move Myers without it costing us other assets I will be surprised, very pleasantly. He was terrible for us in the bubble playoffs. Couldn’t stay out of the box. 
‘Cap space is most valuable asset in NHL atm. If we can open 4-6M up without costing us a first or second rounder that is a major coup for the so far unimpressive management group. 

it'll be tough to do without taking a contract back, and if we're not ready to rebuild then its maybe not a thing. Looking at their cap, I think they need Muzzins LTIR. Unless we're willing to retain 1/2 of Myers deal not sure how it happens.

Edited by JM_

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it'll be tough to do without taking a contract back, and if we're not ready to rebuild then its maybe not a thing. Looking at their cap, I think they need Muzzins LTIR. Unless we're willing to retain 1/2 of Myers deal not sure how it happens.

Well they are desperate for D. But yeah, doubt it happens as said above.
Don’t really want to look at detail at their roster but we probably have to take contract back but I am okay with this if it mitigates some of our cost and is player on 1 year or actual useful young player or someone that may have value at deadline. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Well they are desperate for D. But yeah, doubt it happens as said above.
Don’t really want to look at detail at their roster but we probably have to take contract back but I am okay with this if it mitigates some of our cost and is player on 1 year or actual useful young player or someone that may have value at deadline. 

I wonder if JR/PA is trying to shop Stillman to them? if we recovered a late pick that way I'd be happy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Makes no sense he keeps getting put back in the lineup. Has been our worst D this year. 

perfect fit for TO :lol: yeah I don't get it either. But coaches on the hot seat often pick  the more veteran player even when its obvious its a bad move. 

Edited by JM_

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Man I would kill to see Chaos (on TO, hahaha let’s) go!

Taking out the bracketed that's exactly my thoughts.  
Hughes - Schenn, OEL - Bear then whoever can stay above water and not get destroyed on the 3rd pairing (someone and Burroughs??).
If the taker would trade a pick and not expect too much retention, even better.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Taking out the bracketed that's exactly my thoughts.  
Hughes - Schenn, OEL - Bear then whoever can stay above water and not get destroyed on the 3rd pairing (someone and Burroughs??).
If the taker would trade a pick and not expect too much retention, even better.

Breisbois could hold down that job now with Burroughs. Breezy-Burroughs wouldn't be flashy but I bet they look better than OEL-Myers this year. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Devron said:

I actually think our defence would operate and have better structure

Hughes - Schenn

OEL -Bear

Breezer - Burroughs

Obv Management would want Stillman over Breezer for some f’d up reason but you get the point. 

Myers is a square peg. I’ve defended Myers in the past. He’s had good stretches but time to move on 

Anyone hear any updates about Dermot lately? He can play both sides and has a quiet, unassuming game. I think he could help our team at this point more than Myers or Stillman. Breisbois showed well in his brief stint this year too. At least we have some internal options should we actually be able to move out Myers.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KirkSave said:

Anyone hear any updates about Dermot lately? He can play both sides and has a quiet, unassuming game. I think he could help our team at this point more than Myers or Stillman. Breisbois showed well in his brief stint this year too. At least we have some internal options should we actually be able to move out Myers.

I forgot about Dermott yes he’s a better fit than Myers and Stillman. I believe he is practicing and just waiting on final clearance. Concussions are tricky 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

I actually think our defence would operate and have better structure

Hughes - Schenn

OEL -Bear

Breezer - Burroughs

Obv Management would want Stillman over Breezer for some f’d up reason but you get the point. 

Myers is a square peg. I’ve defended Myers in the past. He’s had good stretches but time to move on 

That is the exact pairing I want to see at least for a game but won’t happen unless stillman is moved or sent down

• Cheers 1