The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Clear 3M and add a 3C? Yes please.

Then we can just sign Schenn for 1M to play on the 3rd pairing and we replace Myers plus bring in a 3C for a net cap change of 0.

Not sure if SJS would do it, but that would be a great hybrid hockey trade / cap dump

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Clear 3M and add a 3C? Yes please.

Then we can just sign Schenn for 1M to play on the 3rd pairing and we replace Myers plus bring in a 3C for a net cap change of 0.

Schenn wants a guaranteed contract for years and raise.

Hard pass his time here is done.

24 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Schenn wants a guaranteed contract for years and raise.

Hard pass his time here is done.

I’d argue he’s earned a raise.
But I’d give him a 2 year term max.
He’s still in early 30s, his playoff experience warrants leadership of which he is already naturally gifted. He’s a role player no doubt, but as slow as he is, he’s still positionally sound. And that’s in pretty good contrast with and to his lessening mobility. He’s a heart and soul warrior. 

He still is currency in the sport. 
Put it this way, a team traded specifically for him as an additional piece to rely on with their collective playoff hopes. 

45 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’d argue he’s earned a raise.
But I’d give him a 2 year term max.
He’s still in early 30s, his playoff experience warrants leadership of which he is already naturally gifted. He’s a role player no doubt, but as slow as he is, he’s still positionally sound. And that’s in pretty good contrast with and to his lessening mobility. He’s a heart and soul warrior. 

He still is currency in the sport. 
Put it this way, a team traded specifically for him as an additional piece to rely on with their collective playoff hopes. 

Then say goodbye he wants three years plus a retirement deal.

On Canucks Central, they speculated the Myers deal is pending signing another legit defensemen that can take his minutes. This would help explain the reported interest in Severson, and other higher priced RD…

Wonder if Myers goes to San Jose shortly after we sign our first D?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

On Canucks Central, they speculated the Myers deal is pending signing another legit defensemen that can take his minutes. This would help explain the reported interest in Severson, and other higher priced RD…

Are we left with Dumba and Mayfield as the top RHD UFA's? Or are there some other players to mention as well ?

5 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Are we left with Dumba and Mayfield as the top RHD UFA's? Or are there some other players to mention as well ?

Soucy plays Right side, but yeah, I think those are the big righties. They’ve also been linked to Clifton…

Myers is a combined -14.6 GAR over the past eight seasons. -6.8 GAR for his four seasons with the Canucks.

By Evolving Hockey’s value model, he’s been -$20.1M combined (negative) player value over the last eight seasons. -$10.2M (negative value) over his four seasons with the Canucks. And he’s -$11.2M for his career (which includes a Calder winning rookie season).

While I think the analytics do tend to be a little harsh and undervalue Myers, and that models like GAR aren’t exactly perfect in measuring individual player value (especially for defencemen), it’s still a pretty strong indicator that this isn’t a player who brings much net value to the ice. Or, perhaps more clearly stated, this is a player whose negative impacts tend to erase the positive value of the good things he does for his team.

That’s been the story for most of the last decade with Myers. I don’t see that changing in the future. Especially at age 33 and given the typical curves for age related decline.

I tend to think that, at this point, just about any “replacement level” player could slot into the lineup for Myers and there’d be a negligible impact on the overall team results. Perhaps it would even be an improvement (certainly the stats suggest so).

And there’s clearly a lot of room for improvement, if Myers were to actually be replaced with a really good player who brings significant positive value (instead of just replacement value). Even if the Canucks end up carrying 50% retention on his contract, there’s still enough room to add a replacement player that would create a net gain in team performance and salary efficiency.

We’ll see what happens today, but if the rumours are true and the Canucks are parting ways with Myers, it’s most likely going to be a good thing.

So long as they don’t screw up by signing the wrong replacement player and adding another inefficient contract to the books (which is definitely a real possibility, when it comes to the UFA market).

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Fingers crossed. Juulsen would be a fine replacement tbh, if they do nothing else of significance id like to see Myers moved along.

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Myers is a combined -14.6 GAR over the past eight seasons. -6.8 GAR for his four seasons with the Canucks.

By Evolving Hockey’s value model, he’s been -$20.1M combined (negative) player value over the last eight seasons. -$10.2M (negative value) over his four seasons with the Canucks. And he’s -$11.2M for his career (which includes a Calder winning rookie season).

While I think the analytics do tend to be a little harsh and undervalue Myers, and that models like GAR aren’t exactly perfect in measuring individual player value (especially for defencemen), it’s still a pretty strong indicator that this isn’t a player who brings much net value to the ice. Or, perhaps more clearly stated, this is a player whose negative impacts tend to erase the positive value of the good things he does for his team.

That’s been the story for most of the last decade with Myers. I don’t see that changing in the future. Especially at age 33 and given the typical curves for age related decline.

I tend to think that, at this point, just about any “replacement level” player could slot into the lineup for Myers and there’d be a negligible impact on the overall team results. Perhaps it would even be an improvement (certainly the stats suggest so).

And there’s clearly a lot of room for improvement, if Myers were to actually be replaced with a really good player who brings significant positive value (instead of just replacement value). Even if the Canucks end up carrying 50% retention on his contract, there’s still enough room to add a replacement player that would create a net gain in team performance and salary efficiency.

We’ll see what happens today, but if the rumours are true and the Canucks are parting ways with Myers, it’s most likely going to be a good thing.

So long as they don’t screw up by signing the wrong replacement player and adding another inefficient contract to the books (which is definitely a real possibility, when it comes to the UFA market).

This passes the eye test. His mistakes always seem to outweigh his contributions, and he rarely plays to his size.