The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Mar. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Good to see the Canucks come back and win.

But way too many giveaways... the blind pass in our own zone is something this team can't seem to shake.  Nearly killed the chances of winning.

Glad to see Garland back with Pettersson and Hoglander... this line works.  Finally Hoglander gets on the board... he has been so snakebit.

And nice to see Podz continue to score... he is working hard every game.

Garland is a catalyst, he works with either Pettersson or Miller/Boeser.  Right now the odd man out is Chiasson, he is not contributing.

12 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Good to see the Canucks come back and win.

But way too many giveaways... the blind pass in our own zone is something this team can't seem to shake.  Nearly killed the chances of winning.

Glad to see Garland back with Pettersson and Hoglander... this line works.  Finally Hoglander gets on the board... he has been so snakebit.

And nice to see Podz continue to score... he is working hard every game.

Garland is a catalyst, he works with either Pettersson or Miller/Boeser.  Right now the odd man out is Chiasson, he is not contributing.

problem is it's either chiasson or dickinson and both are not contributing and u don't want to touch the 4th line since it's working

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Im almost of the mind, if the management wants to give this group a run and see what they can do, then make moves to help them. If you don't think the group is good enough than make the necessary moves now. Don't sit back and wait this out.

Either make the moves to help this team win down the stretch or sell the pieces to move for the future. At points in the last few games I've teetered to the point where wow this team isn't good enough its not even close but also wow this team looks really solid if they had a few more pieces. I wonder what adding a few pieces could do to not only increase the moral but confidence of the group.

If we take out the Green debacle, and his atrocious coaching. We would definitely be in viable contention for a playoff spot. 

1 hour ago, KyGuy123 said:

Crazy to think we are in the playoff race from where we were with Green. 

Since Boudreau took over the team is 17-8-4. I looked at the Pacific Division records from December 5th (Day 1 BB Era) and today. Here is what I found:

Los Angeles  19-10-3 for 41 pts

Vancouver     17-8-4 for 38 pts

Vegas            16-11-4 for 36 pts

Calgary          17-9-2 for 34 pts

Edmonton     14-14-4 for 32 pts

Anaheim.       13-13-4 for 30 pts

San Jose       11-13-5 for 27 pts

Seattle           8-21-3 for 19 pts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we take out the Green debacle, and his atrocious coaching. We would definitely be in viable contention for a playoff spot. 

if only some of those "moral victories" were actually converted to actual victories :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jaimito said:

4 pts back of playoff spot. Nux definitely in the hunt. 

I still think Canucks won't make it. Call me negative but looking at the remaining teams Canucks will play

Tampa, New Jersey, Calgary (x2), Colorado, Minnesota (x2), Dallas, St. Louis, Vegas (x2), Los Angeles, Edmonton

Now Jersey and Edmonton aren't exactly scary but Jersey just blew out Vancouver and Edmonton will probably be as desperate as Vancouver to fight for a playoff spot.

The rest are very scary or, at least, difficult teams to beat. 

• Sad 1

My take away from this game even past the 2 points is Podz, starting to catch fire and in the post game vids about his goal was that he "wires" one, SCREW that! His shot was the cross between a laser beam and a cannon, doubt there's too many goalies in the entire NHL that stop that shot! 

Anyway hope he keeps it up and his confidence with the puck along with it! 

Yeah he still makes some rookie mistakes but seems he's settling in.

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Only if we could have kicked his ass out sooner. 

In hindsight yes I would agree. The only thing that gave me pause was that I was worried firing a coach after resigning him would give the organization a bad reputation. But looking at how Rutherford is trying to turn that perception around and that Bruce signed with Canucks instantly, that probably wasn't a big worry.

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Im almost of the mind, if the management wants to give this group a run and see what they can do, then make moves to help them. If you don't think the group is good enough than make the necessary moves now. Don't sit back and wait this out.

Either make the moves to help this team win down the stretch or sell the pieces to move for the future. At points in the last few games I've teetered to the point where wow this team isn't good enough its not even close but also wow this team looks really solid if they had a few more pieces. I wonder what adding a few pieces could do to not only increase the moral but confidence of the group.

Seriously? Yes! JB got this roster close but never got a 2nd chance to finish it but being Vancouver, not many GM's could, but if JR can ignore what the "win it all now!" Idiot fans demand and actually not only bring in 3-4 more players then we stand a chance but build depth at the same time. 

Can he pull it off? Doubt it, no GM here has ever gotten us a really good roster with depth to back it up or we'd probably had a cup or 2 by now... If we keep selling the farm out as usual, we'll still be f'd. End of story... Nothing has changed. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

In hindsight yes I would agree. The only thing that gave me pause was that I was worried firing a coach after resigning him would give the organization a bad reputation. But looking at how Rutherford is trying to turn that perception around and that Bruce signed with Canucks instantly, that probably wasn't a big worry.

Green was the epitome of incompetence, God knows why JB extended that loser. 

I knew it was the death knell. I was one of green's bashers. 

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Since Boudreau took over the team is 17-8-4. I looked at the Pacific Division records from December 5th (Day 1 BB Era) and today. Here is what I found:

Los Angeles  19-10-3 for 41 pts

Vancouver     17-8-4 for 38 pts

Vegas            16-11-4 for 36 pts

Calgary          17-9-2 for 34 pts

Edmonton     14-14-4 for 32 pts

Anaheim.       13-13-4 for 30 pts

San Jose       11-13-5 for 27 pts

Seattle           8-21-3 for 19 pts

We also won 2 out of 3 last Green games,  most of those teams have played a couple more games then us but Calgary one less ... If we add those games to even up with LA, we'd have one more point then them.    The winning streak was impressive,  the covid streak was kind of too considering...teams a few players short of being very good.    Playoffs are still a long shot - if JR/Allvin have plans to move some guys, the deadline is usually the best return - but i wouldn't blame them either if they waited until the draft if the returns are kind of meh either.     Miller is the best player in the field - if Claude Giroiux gets traded even more so for forwards anyways.   Gio probably the best D in play.    Coming down to the wire now.     Have to give the team and coaching staff a lot of credit, they seem to want it most nights.   And of course Demko is our mvp.   Luongo was for many years too, can't win without that. 

Edit:  On our current team.   It's hard not to like.   Quite a few guys have potential to be core and or good support players especially at a young age.    The trick is how do we keep Miller at a decent cap hit?   And not have a worse team.   Unfortunately it's going to take some massive Quin like trades to make this work.   As in lopsided ones.   Edler could of been our Butcher trade a few years back .... but not getting into that (MG country club team) .... Keeping this team together IMO - is going to require playoffs this season - at least one round and a decent second round to convince management to do so.   Tall order.   Thing is, if we actually make the show, we'd have one of the best records in the league since Bruce took over .... we do right now ... 6/7 last time i checked. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Seriously? Yes! JB got this roster close but never got a 2nd chance to finish it but being Vancouver, not many GM's could, but if JR can ignore what the "win it all now!" Idiot fans demand and actually not only bring in 3-4 more players then we stand a chance but build depth at the same time. 

Can he pull it off? Doubt it, no GM here has ever gotten us a really good roster with depth to back it up or we'd probably had a cup or 2 by now... If we keep selling the farm out as usual, we'll still be f'd. End of story... Nothing has changed. 

Quin did.   Twice actually.   Also mucked it up with Bure.   And of course Messier (although he was just fine as a replacement for Ronning IF he just accepted the second line center role and the A instead of bringing that ego into the room with him).    Guy had just had two typical Messier seasons before coming here - didn't appear to be aging either.    We had the wingers.   We had the centres.   And our D was decent enough.    Ohlund was a stud right away (drafted in 94 i think).   Walker, Brashear etc we had toughness too.   Blew it up when these guys were just entering their peak prime years.   Bure played his best hockey in Florida and was unreal the entire dead puck era.    

And we had depth in 2010-2012 as well. Booth and Ballard might not of being wise - and they weren't - but they sure were decent depth guys, way better then Burroughs and Chiasson lol - and those guys are in our lineup a lot of nights.    Burroughs has been good for us though that's for sure.    But yes other then that - not real great depth ever, and only one cap team.  

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I still think Canucks won't make it. Call me negative but looking at the remaining teams Canucks will play

Tampa, New Jersey, Calgary (x2), Colorado, Minnesota (x2), Dallas, St. Louis, Vegas (x2), Los Angeles, Edmonton

Now Jersey and Edmonton aren't exactly scary but Jersey just blew out Vancouver and Edmonton will probably be as desperate as Vancouver to fight for a playoff spot.

The rest are very scary or, at least, difficult teams to beat. 

I actually think it’s better to play good teams down the stretch.

It’s the non playoff teams that scare me the most. Those are the teams that are playing loose and love to play spoiler. And we all know this team plays down to weaker opponents levels. There’s no way we take any of those games for granted.

Also if the goal is to make the playoffs rolling, those teams prepare them much better for what would likely be a very good team in a first round match up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3