The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Core Player NEEDS to be traded...

Rate this topic

HKSR

9 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

In a vacuum that's fine. 

In real life that's a bottom 5 roster in the league by that point. 

Why exactly? 

Petey, Hughes, Bo, Garland, Boeser, Mayfield, Motte, and Demko would all literally be between the ages of 27 and 30.  Smack in the middle of their prime. 

Hogs and Podz SHOULD be just about breaking out at that point as they'd be entering their mid-20s.

Miller should still be productive as he'll be around 32 or 33 (think Marian Hossa).

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently we're a Cup contender already. Who knew?  You call that an upgrade on RD? Motte on the second line? Klimovich playing already? That's a pretty awful looking team and our biggest problem RD still hasn't been addressed. You also have no pressbox players and zero flexibility. I don't want the job of making these decisions but I'm sure glad you don't. :lol: Joking but if it goes your way I'll be massively surprised. 

Also, Miller isn't re-signing here so you'll have to replace him via UFA or elc. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

The Canucks have sucked for 10 years.

Change is needed. Don't need a blow up but the same core will not solve the issue.

In fairness, the Sedins have only been gone for 3 years. 

And likewise, Hughes and Petey have really only had 3 years at it so far. 

So I wouldn't say we've given this core a real opportunity yet.  Are we really only gonna give this core 3 years of development before we say they suck?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

The thing is nobody will want to trade for Pearson/Dickinson and especially Poolman unless we add something. Sure we would love to cut out the deadweight on the roster but I have a hard time believing that teams are calling for those players. We would need to put in a sweetener for those to get moved and unfortunately we just don’t have the assets/riches to do that right now. Which is why we have to trade a valuable piece or two to balance out our lineup especially our right side. No other way to slice it, we have to take a step back to take steps forward. 

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

The thing is nobody will want to trade for Pearson/Dickinson and especially Poolman unless we add something. Sure we would love to cut out the deadweight on the roster but I have a hard time believing that teams are calling for those players. We would need to put in a sweetener for those to get moved and unfortunately we just don’t have the assets/riches to do that right now. Which is why we have to trade a valuable piece or two to balance out our lineup especially our right side. No other way to slice it, we have to take a step back to take steps forward. 

Poolman may be the hardest to move, but even then, as a depth RHD on a contender for only $2.5M AAV is not bad at all. 

Pearson/Dickinson you'll notice I have them traded in the last year of their contracts.  MUCH easier to move them then for late round draft picks as the team won't need to worry about further cap issues with them.

• Cheers 1

that's some sad looking bottom 6.. and realistically we will also need to look for another top pairing defenseman as OEL will be a 2nd pairing defenseman at best by the time myer is gone lol.. fail to see any improvement over the current version of the team.. the offense from the defense is probably even worse than it currently is now with OEL Myers even older.. and the secondary scoring from the bottom 6 looks like it's going to be non existent also... 

this team on paper is going to be so easy to play against.. it's going to be the lightest team in the NHL by a long shot lol. we are already one of the lightest team in the league and it shows on the ice how easily we get pushed off the puck.. and then we insert rathbone karlsson lockwood to go along with hoglander pettersson motte hughes lammiko who are all below 195lbs and some well below.. the lightest team this year avg 192lbs.. the team you listed is going to be well below 192 lol

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

that's some sad looking bottom 6.. and realistically we will also need to look for another top pairing defenseman as OEL will be a 2nd pairing defenseman at best by the time myer is gone lol.. fail to see any improvement over the current version of the team.. the offense from the defense is probably even worse than it currently is now with OEL Myers even older.. and the secondary scoring from the bottom 6 looks like it's going to be non existent also... 

this team on paper is going to be so easy to play against.. it's going to be the lightest team in the NHL by a long shot lol. we are already one of the lightest team in the league and it shows on the ice how easily we get pushed off the puck.. and then we insert rathbone karlsson lockwood to go along with hoglander pettersson motte hughes lammiko who are all below 195lbs and some well below.. the lightest team this year avg 192lbs.. the team you listed is going to be well below 192 lol

That's why you see Myers / Top 4 RHD... I assume we will have replaced him with someone else for about $5M AAV.

Apparently, Dhaliwal reported a little while ago that JR met with Miller and Boeser camps yesterday, to get an idea what kinds of re-signing deals they want. Seems Miller is wanting 5-6 years at well over $7. 

So, Miller will be 35-36 when his next deal ends?  I don't like it, he'll be too old to be paying that kind of money to. The Canucks aren't in a position to go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

That's why you see Myers / Top 4 RHD... I assume we will have replaced him with someone else for about $5M AAV.

finding 1 top 4 rhd is already hard enough lol and u need to find 2.. still does nothing to address how small this team is.. gonna be men vs stickman..

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I really don't get it sometimes...

CDCers:  "Oh man, you wanna just keep the status quo?  They're gonna SUCK!"

Also CDCers:  "Oh man, you just wait, when these guys all hit their prime, they're gonna be awesome!  We're gonna be contenders!"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Apparently, Dhaliwal reported a little while ago that JR met with Miller and Boeser camps yesterday, to get an idea what kinds of re-signing deals they want. Seems Miller is wanting 5-6 years at well over $7. 

So, Miller will be 35-36 when his next deal ends?  I don't like it, he'll be too old to be paying that kind of money to. The Canucks aren't in a position to go for it. 

If it's well over $7M but under $8M, then I think the Canucks brass will get him signed.  With what he brings, even if he regresses to a 0.75 PPG player at 33 to 35 yo, he's still putting up 60pts+ while bringing all the other intangibles and let's not forget the cap will go up significantly by then.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If it's well over $7M but under $8M, then I think the Canucks brass will get him signed.  With what he brings, even if he regresses to a 0.75 PPG player at 33 to 35 yo, he's still putting up 60pts+ while bringing all the other intangibles and let's not forget the cap will go up significantly by then.

I thought LE would score 20-30 goals a season too

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2