The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in John Marino

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are trading Garland for Marino.  then we keep Boeser.  We are better, and Pit is better.  Both win.  

Maybe we can dump a little cap for a pick as well?

Garland and Poolman for Marino and a pick.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Why would we trade Garland?

Didn’t JR say he wants us to get faster? Garland is one of our faster players.

50 point high motor guy signed to a great deal. Why trade that for a Tanev lite?

I'm unfamiliar with Marino in depth, but a lengthy highlight video shows a lot of upside:

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Garland can play all lines and both sides special teams. No quit.

Maybe I’m a homer but I value him more. 

But, it’s a good start in reshaping the D if it happens. Definitely not the answer to our problems there, but addresses one aspect. Just need to feed Marino some HGH, hah

He may very well be worth more and we might get something a bit more than Marino back, but I think the foundation for a trade is there.  Personally Garland is one of my favourite current Canucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Why would we trade Garland?

Didn’t JR say he wants us to get faster? Garland is one of our faster players.

50 point high motor guy signed to a great deal. Why trade that for a Tanev lite?

The cost of doing business when youre trying to address the most glaring need - making the D younger, cheaper and with an emphasis on adding a defensive Dman who can chip in on O.

like another poster said, it’s a starter move at chipping away and reconstructing our D towards the future.

you have Hoglander, Podz who are future Garlands (to a degree) and on the cheap. Could also be a Garland lite coming back in trade with PIT.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

The cost of doing business when youre trying to address the most glaring need - making the D younger, cheaper and with an emphasis on adding a defensive Dman who can chip in on O.

like another poster said, it’s a starter move at chipping away and reconstructing our D towards the future.

you have Hoglander, Podz who are future Garlands (to a degree) and on the cheap. Could also be a Garland lite coming back in trade with PIT.

But again why would Pittsburgh wanna trade him?

Something doesn’t add up.

Just now, DeNiro said:

But again why would Pittsburgh wanna trade him?

Something doesn’t add up.

Yeah, that’s the question. 

Health?
Look at his GP, though he’s projecting for a better season that way this year.

only thing that I can imagine is that it’s just a straight up hockey trade to address other needs, whereby if they are considering moving him, can find a relative replacement elsewhere for cheaper (for either short or long term).

mentioned in the other thread that they had also enquired about Mark Pysyk from BUF who’s a low cap hit (1million), experienced and could fill that PK role well.

2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Because this is the canucks forums where we make bias af trades like an overpaid myers for marino straight up :emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

Why would we trade Myers, whos way better, for a scrub?  Go fish bird who can't fly.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Maybe not Garland come to think of it. They already have something like him in Zucker. Really hope it’s not centred around Boeser.

We don’t have the scoring to replace the loss of Boeser. Gotta replace that at some point. What’s the cost on that gonna be?

Id rather see if we can get Boeser signed long term at a reasonable cap.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Marino is a super good player. Getting him would instantly change the dynamics of our defense without question.

I wouldn’t mind trading Boeser for Marino, plus a roster player like Rodrigues and picks. 

Or a Myers Marino swap.

Fire up the Pittsburgh and Vancouver Speculation

March 10, 2022, 9:30 AM ET [103 Comments]  
Ryan Wilson
pit.gif Pittsburgh Penguins Blogger • RSS  Archive  CONTACT
We have some Pittsburgh and Vancouver speculation to chew on

So the names John Marino, Evan Rodrigues, and Brock Boeser were mentioned in this segment. It’s speculation, not gospel, but if you’re reading this you’re on Hockeybuzz and isn’t that the whole point?

So let’s talk a little about John Marino. There’s nuance to be had, and I’ll apply some, but at the end of the day I’m open to moving Marino. Timing matters, though. I think Rutherford has had a habit of rushing to give his mid-tier defenders long term contracts in the ~4M range. Rookie John Marino hasn’t been seen for two years and he’s being paid as though that’s the player he is. Marino is 24 and he is certainly not a bad player. You have to ask yourself is it easier to find the next John Marino or the next top six scoring winger for this team? Case in point, John Marino was had for a 7th round pick. It is my belief you can find defense first players at a better price point than offensive ones. I still maintain the defensive metrics don’t capture things as well as offensive metrics do. I prefer to stay away from players who are an offensive blackhole. This isn’t a John Marino specific take. Although, it applies here.

So the nuance is the Penguins aren’t exactly in a position to move on from Marino at the moment. They don’t have enough in-house help waiting in WB/S to remove Marino. They need to have another plan in motion to replace him. Chad Ruhwedel and Mark Friedman have done a really nice job this season. They’ve done so in lesser roles. I’m not enamored with promoting them to a second pairing role if Marino were to leave. I think it would be asking too much of them. Now if the Penguins could figure out a way to move Marino (and Rodrigues in this scenario) to Vancouver for a scoring winger while making another deal to replace Marino, sure. It is a lot of moving parts for the Penguins who don’t have a lot of moving parts at their disposal. If you wanted to entertain moving Marino in-season somebody like Mark Pysyk in Buffalo is a low cost acquisition I would definitely entertain and go for as one example

yOMuUtz.jpg

I don’t think there’s really a drop off in performance and Pysyk isn’t going to cost 4M. He feels like a classic mid-round pick kind of acquisition. Replacing Marino could hypothetically be accomplished.

As for Evan Rodrigues, if he is the cost of doing business to acquire a legitimate top six winger, so be it. I think he was marvelous for two months this year. I think he’s better than the results he’s been getting recently, but he’s also a pending UFA and probably holds more value in a trade to Vancouver than anywhere else if you are to believe the speculation Rutherford wants him. It’s the cost of doing business on a team with very few parts they can afford to give away and also match up with what other teams would want.

Rutherford has a track record of being fixated on things and going back to what he is familiar with (Marino, Rodrigues, Kapanen?). The Penguins should lean into this. As for what the end game should be for the Penguins I don’t think it should be Brock Boeser. He’s definitely an upgrade on what the Penguins have on the right side at the moment because who wouldn’t be given how Kapanen is playing? Boeser has middle of the road underlying numbers and is in the 73rd percentile in finishing. His goals per 60 and primary assists per 60 are in the 50th percentile. While an upgrade, I would argue the fact he is a pending RFA looking for a raise combined with the cost to acquire isn’t all that appealing. Now if you want to talk about Conor Garland, well now you have my attention

ntnZhmz.jpg?1

John Marino and Evan Rodrigues aren’t going to cut it alone. I would definitely put the 2022 first in play for Garland along with Marino and Rodrigues. There’s always the Kasperi Kapanen carrot as well when dealing with Rutherford. The reason I prefer Garland, other than the underlying data, is the fact he is locked in through his twenties at a 5M cap hit. This is feasible and less messy than dealing with a pending RFA.

As a side note I would prefer JT Miller ahead of Boeser as well.

I think there’s something to be had with Pittsburgh and Vancouver. I also think it has the highest potential ceiling for what the Penguins would be looking to do and what they have to give up. We’ll see where this goes, if anywhere.

Thanks for reading!
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Because this is the canucks forums where we make bias af trades like an overpaid myers for marino straight up :emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

Might surprise you how much value Myers still has around the league, even with his current contract.

In no way am I saying he’s worth Marino straight up, but when you look at a guy like Risto in PHI getting that headscratcher of a deal, you soon understand that a big man on D that can play both sides of the ice is not an easy or common piece available 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Ryan Wilson

So the names John Marino, Evan Rodrigues, and Brock Boeser were mentioned in this segment. It’s speculation, not gospel, but if you’re reading this you’re on Hockeybuzz and isn’t that the whole point?

So let’s talk a little about John Marino. There’s nuance to be had, and I’ll apply some, but at the end of the day I’m open to moving Marino. Timing matters, though. I think Rutherford has had a habit of rushing to give his mid-tier defenders long term contracts in the ~4M range. Rookie John Marino hasn’t been seen for two years and he’s being paid as though that’s the player he is. Marino is 24 and he is certainly not a bad player. You have to ask yourself is it easier to find the next John Marino or the next top six scoring winger for this team? Case in point, John Marino was had for a 7th round pick. It is my belief you can find defense first players at a better price point than offensive ones. I still maintain the defensive metrics don’t capture things as well as offensive metrics do. I prefer to stay away from players who are an offensive blackhole. This isn’t a John Marino specific take. Although, it applies here.

So the nuance is the Penguins aren’t exactly in a position to move on from Marino at the moment. They don’t have enough in-house help waiting in WB/S to remove Marino. They need to have another plan in motion to replace him. Chad Ruhwedel and Mark Friedman have done a really nice job this season. They’ve done so in lesser roles. I’m not enamored with promoting them to a second pairing role if Marino were to leave. I think it would be asking too much of them. Now if the Penguins could figure out a way to move Marino (and Rodrigues in this scenario) to Vancouver for a scoring winger while making another deal to replace Marino, sure. It is a lot of moving parts for the Penguins who don’t have a lot of moving parts at their disposal. If you wanted to entertain moving Marino in-season somebody like Mark Pysyk in Buffalo is a low cost acquisition I would definitely entertain and go for as one example

yOMuUtz.jpg

I don’t think there’s really a drop off in performance and Pysyk isn’t going to cost 4M. He feels like a classic mid-round pick kind of acquisition. Replacing Marino could hypothetically be accomplished.

As for Evan Rodrigues, if he is the cost of doing business to acquire a legitimate top six winger, so be it. I think he was marvelous for two months this year. I think he’s better than the results he’s been getting recently, but he’s also a pending UFA and probably holds more value in a trade to Vancouver than anywhere else if you are to believe the speculation Rutherford wants him. It’s the cost of doing business on a team with very few parts they can afford to give away and also match up with what other teams would want.

Rutherford has a track record of being fixated on things and going back to what he is familiar with (Marino, Rodrigues, Kapanen?). The Penguins should lean into this. As for what the end game should be for the Penguins I don’t think it should be Brock Boeser. He’s definitely an upgrade on what the Penguins have on the right side at the moment because who wouldn’t be given how Kapanen is playing? Boeser has middle of the road underlying numbers and is in the 73rd percentile in finishing. His goals per 60 and primary assists per 60 are in the 50th percentile. While an upgrade, I would argue the fact he is a pending RFA looking for a raise combined with the cost to acquire isn’t all that appealing. Now if you want to talk about Conor Garland, well now you have my attention

ntnZhmz.jpg?1

John Marino and Evan Rodrigues aren’t going to cut it alone. I would definitely put the 2022 first in play for Garland along with Marino and Rodrigues. There’s always the Kasperi Kapanen carrot as well when dealing with Rutherford. The reason I prefer Garland, other than the underlying data, is the fact he is locked in through his twenties at a 5M cap hit. This is feasible and less messy than dealing with a pending RFA.

I think there’s something to be had with Pittsburgh and Vancouver. I also think it has the highest potential ceiling for what the Penguins would be looking to do and what they have to give up. We’ll see where this goes, if anywhere.

Thanks for reading!

And the Pens actually think they will get Boeser or even Miller for that!  They can suck old socks.  And not the tasy ones.  They get Some of Trump's.  Real nasty.  :sick:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Ryan Wilson

yOMuUtz.jpg

ntnZhmz.jpg?1

Thanks for reading!

So....

To PITT:

Garland

To VAN:

Marino

Kapanen

Rodriguez

1st

::D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, no complaints with Marino, but want something of actual value instead of Kapanen.

If it means we get to send Poolman back...?

And I actually think Kapanen might just mesh really well with Horvat.

59 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure PIT wants Garland, I believe they want Boeser

I'd possibly do:

Boeser and Poolman

Marino, Kapanen and Poulin

This exactly. Boeser + Poolman for Marino +Kapanen/Rod is a cap in/out scenario. We get an extra pick/prospect for giving up the best player.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If it means we get to send Poolman back...?

And I actually think Kapanen might just mesh really well with Horvat.

This exactly. Boeser + Poolman for Marino +Kapanen/Rod is a cap in/out scenario. We get an extra pick/prospect for giving up the best player.

the trade is done already.  It will be Garland and Hamonik for Marino and Kapanen.  I see it in my empty bottle.