Horvat

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Lammikko

Highmore

Hughes

Schenn

Demko

...they'll be alright. Trade Boeser. Garland, Motte and Myers, give the players above team mates they can win with. Make the future bright again.

Trading Myers, Boeser and Motte will clear around $15 in cap space. Maybe they bring in a couple of young (cheaper) Dmen (e.g. Smith, Marino, etc)

Re-sign Miller, that's fine, he's probably got a few good years left, buying time until Petey and the younger guys enter their prime. 

Move Miller for a haul. I love the guy as much as anyone and love watching him play, but I'll never be down to sign a 30 year old to an 8x8. The risk of him becoming Jamie Benn-esque isn't worth it to me. Especially when you have a player like OEL on the back end making as much as he does and also declining. We don't have enough great value contracts to risk that. We're also not in the tier of the Avs/Bolts/Panthers and likely won't be for 2-3 years. By then Miller is undoubtedly on the downturn and not playing up to his contract. Pray the Rangers cave and give us Schneider, Kravtsov and a First and you're sitting pretty.

Move one of Garland or Boeser for a young, top 4 RHD

Move Myers for cap relief

Move Motte for a pick

Move Schenn for a pick

Try to move Poolman, Dickinson for cap space.

I'd keep Hamonic just because he's only got one more year left and he is a serviceable d-man at his price. Pearson also has shown he is worth his contract.

Use accumulated assets (picks/prospects) to rebuild forward group. Hoglander/Podkolzin should be way better in a couple years and hopefully a draft pick or 2 is ready to move in to the lineup. Your defence should be a lot better after the trades. Use cap space to fill out the rest/depth.

IMO this is really the only way to go about things. Everything else has too much of a risk factor and too short sighted. Set yourself up for short and long term success. Save yourself cap space to re-sign Petey when the time comes as well, because that won't be long.

EDIT: Aside from Boeser I'd want to do this all in the offseason.

Edited by luongianone

I think it's safe to say that JR/Allvin will put their stamp on this club during the off season .... possibly even over the next five days.    It's not very often that a new GM comes in and doesn't clean a bit of house in the roster.     We should be prepared to see some of that or maybe even quite a bit of that unless Bruce takes them on a playoff ride that has equaled his regular season ride so far.    Maybe even still (why the next five days ... until the TDL).... Personally warts and all, i'm really enjoying this team right now.   Not a hard team to like.  

Edit:  Also get that our right side is weak ... and our pool has a two year gap in it...Allvin needs to make a decision and it won't be an easy one. 

Edited by IBatch

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

As long as the Canucks ice:

Miller

Pettersson

Horvat

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Lammikko

Highmore

Hughes

Schenn

Demko

...they'll be alright. Trade Boeser. Garland, Motte and Myers, give the players above team mates they can win with. Make the future bright again.

If our goal is to win now ( Not 3 years down the road then this)

I think this high-lites, just how hard it is to build a Championship team. I am not in favor of moving Garland, as he is a very good net player, and with no PP time to speak of

is only 3 points behind Boeser, and is +15 ahead of Boeser at even strength. If not for Boeser's PP points he would have 20 points. Far behind Garland. My argument is that Garland is a very good even strength player, which is what you want on a Championship team.

IMO, I think we are very (extremely) close to being a top 10 team. (And would be, for the most part for the next 5 years, with tweaks. I think the most important thing is to move cap around, and reallocate cap into absolute needs.

Our Absolute needs are:

#1.          Is a heavy  #1/2 defensive oriented RHD who can play all situations. This can only be obtained through Trade ...........Target Ryan Pullock + for Pettersson

#2.          A proper #3 Center, one who can play heavy defensive minutes, and chip in on offense. Done through Trade...............Target Scott Laughton for Boeser

#3.          A winger to replace Boeser, which should be done through UFA......................................................................................Target Max Domi sign in UFA

If our goal is to win in 3 years, then our moves should be entirely different

So, if this is the case, and we are building for the future, then moving Miller this TDL is absolute imperative, after that Boeser. These 2 alone, bring in major future assets. 

IMO, all other moves if we choose this route, are just Lateral in nature. We are stepping back short term.

I  am very mixed on this which plan is better, the first one makes us good now, but the cost, we would not like. The second one is more pain, and more waiting, which we would not like. I guess in the end.................live today, and plan for tomorrow, so I go with the first plan.

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gotta say, I was really impressed with the Devils' young forwards, how fast they are.  Would be great to get a Sharangovich or Bastian, plus a Dman like Smith in a trade with NJ.

Canucks could probably get all that by trading Hughes.

Is funny how everyone wanted to trade Miller 2 months ago and I always say to keep him and looks like the table has turned to keep him now. We need to build around him with his leadership both on and off the ice!! We should move Boeser, Dickinson, Poolman, and Myers before the trade deadline. Hopefully we can get something decent in return and reduce cap space and go younger, faster, and tougher.

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trading Myers, Boeser and Motte will clear around $15 in cap space. Maybe they bring in a couple of young (cheaper) Dmen (e.g. Smith, Marino, etc)

Re-sign Miller, that's fine, he's probably got a few good years left, buying time until Petey and the younger guys enter their prime. 

Myers isn't getting dealt.  Look at how much Bruce uses him.  He trusts his game and hes valued.  

5 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Would you guys keep Brock if he signs 5M  X 5 years? He isn’t getting anywhere close to that qualifying offer….this is about what he is worth IMO

Hell effing no.  Anyone who signs his slow soft a5s for that contract needs their brains examined.  Cant skate,cant skate with the puck, cant pass the puck, horrendous on the backcheck, cant protect the puck  and only puts up points when hes with miller.  Wouldnt even pay him 4 mil.

10 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Would you guys keep Brock if he signs 5M  X 5 years? He isn’t getting anywhere close to that qualifying offer….this is about what he is worth IMO

Sure. But why would he sign that deal when he can just take his 7.5m QO and see how next year goes? If a player doesn't feel he's lived up to his deal and wants to do the right thing, he he might take a discount on a one year deal, believing he will prove his worth. He doesn't sign a five year major discount though. He's 25 not 35 after all.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Absolutely.

That's what is so interesting to see how the new management team reacts.

Yup, in JRs' first presser he did not agree, with the previous regimes' gamble with the roster but JBs' roster,  is currenntly doing a good job of chasing down a playoff spot/dream.  It seems JBs' goal has always been to make the playoffs and then hope for the best, whereas, JR has his experienced with Pitsburgh, to draw upon for some guidance/comparison.

• Vintage 1

I think it would be insane to keep Miller. 
Ignoring the return, that would be franchise changing and pretty well restock our prospect pool instantly……

Miller won’t be able to hold this level for more than 1-2 seasons.  
He hopefully declines slow, but he is still in the prime and almost 30.   
We will have to pay him for what he is doing right now, and he has zero reason to take anything less than what he wants.  

He is going to want a long term deal. 

HUGE red flag.    
This team has been through the overpaid aging vet thing time after time.   
Miller at 9x6,7,8 will only be good for hopefully the first year and maybe the 2nd. (He will be over 30 when it kicks in. Prime years gone)

Yes the cap will go up and yadda yadda yadda. 
By that time when he is overpaid and declining, our young guys are hitting their prime and ready to compete.  
That huge cap space will be needed to sign young guys to their first good contracts, raise for Petey, signing players to build around the young core.  

50-60 points at 9mill is a bad look for any team. It’s going to be years of 40-50 and 30-40 on that contract for 9mill as well. 
When he is 36, 37 and still with that huge cap hit, we are going to look dumb.  

We are in no position to sign 30 year olds to career finisher contracts.  
We aren’t close to challenging.  

Make the Miller trade, get a top young RHD and a 1st +.   
Trade Boeser for whatever scraps you can get for him. (His QO and the fact that he sucks this year says he isn’t worth much)

Keep Garland. He is young enough and cheap.  
Use saved Miller money for top 6 wing and #6 LHD

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I think it would be insane to keep Miller. 
Ignoring the return, that would be franchise changing and pretty well restock our prospect pool instantly……

Miller won’t be able to hold this level for more than 1-2 seasons.  
He hopefully declines slow, but he is still in the prime and almost 30.   
We will have to pay him for what he is doing right now, and he has zero reason to take anything less than what he wants.  

He is going to want a long term deal. 

HUGE red flag.    
This team has been through the overpaid aging vet thing time after time.   
Miller at 9x6,7,8 will only be good for hopefully the first year and maybe the 2nd. (He will be over 30 when it kicks in. Prime years gone)

Yes the cap will go up and yadda yadda yadda. 
By that time when he is overpaid and declining, our young guys are hitting their prime and ready to compete.  
That huge cap space will be needed to sign young guys to their first good contracts, raise for Petey, signing players to build around the young core.  

50-60 points at 9mill is a bad look for any team. It’s going to be years of 40-50 and 30-40 on that contract for 9mill as well. 
When he is 36, 37 and still with that huge cap hit, we are going to look dumb.  

We are in no position to sign 30 year olds to career finisher contracts.  
We aren’t close to challenging.  

Make the Miller trade, get a top young RHD and a 1st +.   
Trade Boeser for whatever scraps you can get for him. (His QO and the fact that he sucks this year says he isn’t worth much)

Keep Garland. He is young enough and cheap.  
Use saved Miller money for top 6 wing and #6 LHD

We don’t want to go anywhere near the embarrassment that is a Tavares - like contract.  Is there a worse contract in the league than Tavares?   

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Sure. But why would he sign that deal when he can just take his 7.5m QO and see how next year goes? If a player doesn't feel he's lived up to his deal and wants to do the right thing, he he might take a discount on a one year deal, believing he will prove his worth. He doesn't sign a five year major discount though. He's 25 not 35 after all.

Hes 25 but plays like hes 35.  Worst skater in the league