The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Tbh I think it's probably interesting for him - he's going to get to weigh in on how to rebuild this deeply flawed roster. 

Probably. I’m not in his head, but then that means years and years more waiting for a good team. 

Same old same old... team wasn't ready to play.

Boudreau talked about it after the game in AFTER HOURS... he's at a loss to explain it.

Terrible game from Pettersson, Horvat and Garland...  not a good line.  Pettersson needs to have a recording on a loop beside his bed... the recording says:  "Shoot the puck... shoot the puck.... shoot the puck... shoot the puck... shoot the puck.... shoot the puck."

I would prefer to see Hoglander play than Petan... Hoglander is not great defensively and is prone to giveaways, but at least he's reasonably dynamic offensively.

Miller also had a poor game... in fact, even the Motte line didn't play particularly well even though they got a goal.

From my perspective the best balanced line combos are:

Miller/Boeser/Garland

Horvat/Pearson/Chiasson

Pettersson/Podkolzin/Hoglander

Motte/Lamikko/Highmore

As far as defense goes, I'd like to see Noah Juulson get another chance.  Hunt has more experience, but he is not going to develop any further.  Juulson still has potential to develop and the upside if his play starts to improve would be a 6' 2''  201 lb #6 D instead of a 5' 9" 177 lb #6.

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

That game was ass.

And to top it off I sat beside two absolutely HAMMERED guys, one of whom kept talking to at me and explaining that he was wearing red because he just came from golfing and then apologizing because he stunk. I told him he smelled like Calgary.  By the end he was intolerable (started smack talking about how great the Flames were...he started off not knowing which side he was on. I asked him to name one Flame who'd scored and he couldn't). Idiot.

I hate Drunks at games... they make me want to punch them out.  Which can't be done for obvious reasons.

This is one reason why I rarely go to games anymore... one episode with a drunk idiot behind me sending spittle flying over myself and my girlfriend and its enough to put me off.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I assume he means the weight of deadline day passing by without getting traded to a contender?

They sure played like they don’t want to be here.

We can’t win every game, but geez don’t lose like that.  Maybe this team is just staler than when a Benning came in and needs some of the key guys moved on and some new voices come in.

If it is hard to get up for a Saturday night national game when your season is on the line, welcome to the doldrums of playing out a month of meaningless games until you are allowed to clean out your locker.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I agree with Bieksa. You're a backup. What are you getting pissy for when asked to play? 

No need for that cr*p attitude around this team. That really pissed me off. Get him tf out. 

On the other hand during his short stint here, Spencer Martin played better than Halak ever did this season and was thankful for every minute of it. He played his heart out and was happy to do his best for the team when the time came for him. 

Was this moron Halak thinking he would not need to at least earn some of that paycheck he's been getting? What a tool.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

I assume he means the weight of deadline day passing by without getting traded to a contender?

They sure played like they don’t want to be here.

We can’t win every game, but geez don’t lose like that.  Maybe this team is just staler than when a Benning came in and needs some of the key guys moved on and some new voices come in.

If it is hard to get up for a Saturday night national game when your season is on the line, welcome to the doldrums of playing out a month of meaningless games until you are allowed to clean out your locker.

Not to mention a division rival against your former teammates (calgary canucks).

4 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Not to mention a division rival against your former teammates (calgary canucks).

With Calgary’s penchant for Canucks players, maybe all our guys all our guys figured they would end up in Calgary by the deadline and wanted to improve their new team’s playoff standing? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, drdeath said:

One of the more interesting take-aways from tonight was Flames fans chirping about making the playoffs. I tried to point out to one fan that he should probably want the Canucks to make the playoffs since the Flames haven't won a first round series against any team other than the Canucks since the 80s, but I think that was before the poor guy was born :lol:

Edit: nevermind.

Edited by shiznak

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

2019:
Edler
Hughes
Tanev
Stetcher
Myers
Benn
Fantenberg

How tf have we fallen so far from that, our D used to be so good 

Pretty bad back then as well lmfao.

Only good thing was Tanev carrying. Edler was nice as well. Other than that, defensively not good. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hate to say it, but it might be a good idea to trade Miller at the TDL. Giving another team 2 playoff tries with him, at his current salary, would be very tempting and the offer could be huge.  Heart and soul, okay sure, but I didn't see any of that tonight. Build around Petey and Hughes, not around Miller.

Yeah. Signing Miller to a long term deal probably doesn’t set the team up for excellence in the long term. 

We need young players, Ned a huge haul right now, and the only player that’ll get us that is Miller. 

I think Garland is gone before Monday. I think Brock’s probably gone as well. Miller maybe too. Just because there’s nothing being heard by the experts, doesn’t mean talk isn’t happening. JR and PA seems to run a very tight lipped ship. Rarely any rumors that we’re hearing, and all the media are fishing in terms of what they’re hearing. 

• Cheers 1

Sell, Thanks to JB, We Must and finally have to be sellers!, They cannot go 15-4,

there is one contract and one player you can not win anything with them, 

If they could get a sixth round pick for OEL, they should take it.If they could get a bag of used practice pucks for Pettersson, they should take it!

35 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. Signing Miller to a long term deal probably doesn’t set the team up for excellence in the long term. 

We need young players, Ned a huge haul right now, and the only player that’ll get us that is Miller. 

I think Garland is gone before Monday. I think Brock’s probably gone as well. Miller maybe too. Just because there’s nothing being heard by the experts, doesn’t mean talk isn’t happening. JR and PA seems to run a very tight lipped ship. Rarely any rumors that we’re hearing, and all the media are fishing in terms of what they’re hearing. 

except... the teams still there to buy players are almost gone.

Carolina, Pittsburgh, NYR, Washington, Colorado, St Louis, Toronto (but the deal will suck) still being buyers. I could easily see more than half of these teams just not buy and go with their current roster. 

31 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Good points. Agree completely.  Miller is having a great season (despite the last two games). But whoever signs him after next year will certainly overpay and regret it.  At age 28 turning 29 he is at his peak now and is likely to fade significantly during his next contract. If the Canucks were a good team likely to make the playoffs I would be inclined to keep Miller now and go for it. But the Canucks are not good enough to justify going for it. I think the best thing it to trade Miller when his value is high.

If the Canucks are not sellers at the deadline, I will be disappointed in the new regime. They have a chance to get things moving in a positive direction. They won't get as much in return if they try to make deals after the season.

And I hope they do something significant. If it is just Motte for a second or third round pick or something like that, I will be disappointed. 

• Cheers 1

I’ll be going to the game tomorrow. I don’t even know what to expect. :unsure: Not a STH but probably the 7th or 8th game of the year, this will likely be my last for the season. 

Sigh.. at least there’s beer. Cheers folks 

• Huggy Bear 1