The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 19, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

This door keeps knocking on the door and tripping on the threshold. Edmonton and Vegas gifted them a chance to take a place in the playoffs and we just didn’t show up. 
The veterans really let us down today. The OEL, Myers pairing were just terrible last two games. 
I look at this team and see a team that is built to scrape into the playoffs and ride Demko. They aren’t like LA’s championship teams or last years Montreal where they were clearly built for the playoffs, they just needed to get in first. We are the opposite but failing at that. 

Forwards are too small, too slow and not skilled enough and they are better than the D. 
We keep hearing that JT and Connor are the type of players that drag the team into the fight, well no fight at home for this stand. 
I think we need to look at any chance to move salary and especially if we can move any wingers out for more premium positions. We have the goalie, we need to build the D around Q. First priority is right D for Q and then we only need about another 5-6 good D prospects. 
Time for JR and PA to build their team, we have seen what Benning’s is. Any move that gives us cap space and young assets to build a bigger, faster, deeper organization should be considered.

8 hours ago, stawns said:

That is a pretty chickensh!t move for a coach to pull.  I understand what he's doing, but you can't blame halak for being pissed.

How so? Clearly Demko was not in the game and has been overplayed. It’s the backup’s job to play when asked, no questions. FGS he is a professional being paid millions to play. Do you normally support prima donna behaviour?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, T-Bo said:

When you publicly say that your style as Captain is to not be loud in the dressing room, but prefer to demonstrate your leadership on the ice, you better be Conner McJesus every night on the ice. I would even be ok with him not scoring, but to be as big as he is!?  Seriously, Garland is more physical then Bo. Schenn does not score, but we love his aggressiveness when he is on the ice. 

This lazy inconsistent culture in the room has been going on for ten years now, it’s like the cold virus that just keeps moving around the room, affecting old and newer players alike.

I am almost of the mind, unless the deal is really good, don’t trade anybody Monday. Let these guys spend the next 5 months staring at their suitcase by their front door, no one is safe.  They may have financial security, but there is nothing worse then you and your family not knowing if you entire life is going to be upended any moment.  It would have been easier to just come out a play a hard game.

Gawd, we are a capped out Team.

Well, he had 9 points in his last 5 games, soooo..........

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

How so? Clearly Demko was not in the game and has been overplayed. It’s the backup’s job to play when asked, no questions. FGS he is a professional being paid millions to play. Do you normally support prima donna behaviour?

Had he gone in and given a half assed effort, I'd agree.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Canucks losing, suddenly all the boo birds and bridge dwellers are back on CDC with their ‘opinions’.

They are our ‘positivity vampires’.

GCG?

I can stomach a loss to Calgary but what the fans are seeing from the Nucks on home ice is unacceptable, even Bo and Miller agree. Problem is, JB built a soft team and Horvat is making it even softer despite his size, despite being the captain. 

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Until he's not

Don't let your love of 26-28 year old Miller cloud your vision of what he'll likely be at 33+

He's 29 now, every player has a peak

Not interested in paying 9M+ and 7-8 years for a player I doubt lives up to said contract for it's duration 

My crystal ball isn’t working right, now. Can you recommend a good fortune teller shop? Just that yours seems to work so well.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

I can stomach a loss to Calgary but what the fans are seeing from the Nucks on home ice is unacceptable, even Bo and Miller agree. Problem is, JB built a soft team and Horvat is making it even softer despite his size, despite being the captain. 

I agree to a certain degree but that wasn’t my point. There are several posters on this forum that disappear when the Canucks are doing well and winning. At the first sign of ineptitude, hello they’re back.

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Makes no difference in regard to Halak’s role with the team.

And I get what BB was doing, but I can see why Halak was mad as it means he won't get his start today, most likely.

Miller can puss and moan, slam his stick, slam the door and he has "passion for the game" and is a real leader, but halak loses a starr and seems to show a frustrated reaction and he's a villain?  

Again, I didn't say it was the wrong move, or that I wouldn't do the same,  just that it's a CS move to out halak in and take his start away from him. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Seriously, it's disturbing how fast people jump off this train.  They've been one of the best teams in the league for 4 months.......they're going to have some stinkers in there and Calgary is a legit contender.  

I'd say most people projected this game as an L,  cut them a little slack.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Muttley said:
Team Shots Hits Power Play Face offs
CGY 44 32 1/2 50.9%
VAN 25 25 1/2 49.1%

Take a quick gander at this and you'd think it were a decent tilt. Maybe a close loss.   NOT !

Um no. These stats, especially the bolder would in no way indicate that.

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

You want to see us get even smaller on defense?  Rathbone would have got eaten up and wrecked against the Flames today.

Well I want to see some vets moves. 

Big fan of Myers but I dunno what the hell he's been doing the last 10 games. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say most people projected this game as an L,  cut them a little slack

It was just how bad we lost. Totally agree that the Flames are better but they played the night before. We were rested. We had more on the line. Demko stood on his head and we still got wooped. The Nucks were so disjointed and we were utterly domianted. How the team $&!# the bed so hard is inexcusbale. When Rasmus Anderson is skating around looking like a Swedish Makar, you know you're in for a world of hurt. With what was at stake and how poorly they played, there ain't much slack left to give...

The only thing I took from that game is how awesome Luke Schenn is. When he dropped MT and stood over him to clear our crease. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

And I get what BB was doing, but I can see why Halak was mad as it means he won't get his start today, most likely.

Miller can puss and moan, slam his stick, slam the door and he has "passion for the game" and is a real leader, but halak loses a starr and seems to show a frustrated reaction and he's a villain?  

Again, I didn't say it was the wrong move, or that I wouldn't do the same,  just that it's a CS move to out halak in and take his start away from him. 

Has the starting goalie been announced for tonight vs Buffalo? Still not a CS move, and still an inappropriate reaction from a guy who is paid to be there for this exact reason. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Boudreau selling the team out on After Hours like he should.

"back in the day players shuttled back and fourth across the ice in warm up like they cared", "nowadays guys like ours don't do that".

No wonder we're not prepared. 

Nice leadership.

Wow

At least we have a clear idea of this team heading into TDL 

1 minute ago, KirkSave said:

It was just how bad we lost. Totally agree that the Flames are better but they played the night before. We were rested. We had more on the line. Demko stood on his head and we still got wooped. The Nucks were so disjointed and we were utterly domianted. How the team $&!# the bed so hard is inexcusbale. When Rasmus Anderson is skating around looking like a Swedish Makar, you know you're in for a world of hurt. With what was at stake and how poorly they played, there ain't much slack left to give...

The only thing I took from that game is how awesome Luke Schenn is. When he dropped MT and stood over him to clear our crease. 

I get that, but Calgary is a legit Cup team and Vancouver isnt.  When they're on the top of their game Vancouver can beat them, but they're in trouble when they aren't.  It stings, but an L is an L, regardless of how they got it..........at least that's what I'm going with.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Demko’s going to get a raise after this current deal expires. Unfortunately, I don’t think the Canucks are going to contend within his current contract. They’re most likely going to contend in his next deal. But he’s definitely not getting 5M. Probably looking at least 6.5M, maybe more with the way he’s played this season, if he continues to keep that up. 

Well I guess we’ll see in 4.3 years....