The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did JR/PA do on TDL 2022? (10 being best, 1 being worst)

Rate this topic

HKSR

Scale of 1 - 10, how did JR/PA do on TDL 2022?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

With this market I wasn't expecting to get anything more for Motte, I would have rather held on to him and if he walks he walks.  I would have expected an early third or late second for him in normal times but he has much more value to our team than other teams.

I agree...even if you have to buy Dickenson's contract out at the cost of 1m in 2022 and 2023 it is worth it. Motte can be a steady 3rd line player IF you give him a chance. He has the wheels and the work ethic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

With this market I wasn't expecting to get anything more for Motte, I would have rather held on to him and if he walks he walks.  I would have expected an early third or late second for him in normal times but he has much more value to our team than other teams.

So an early 3rd would be to a bad team. Why would a bad team want him?

Sure a 2nd would have been nice, I think if that had ever been on the table he would have been gone days ago.

It is what it is, they tried for a decent extension and it didn't work out. 

12 minutes ago, luongianone said:

You're wrong. Miller will have the same value. Clearly teams didn't meet the demand or he'd be gone. We wanted Schneider/Kravtsov/1st rounder for him and it wasn't met. Canucks were right to ask for that. They also can't discuss extension until seasons end so knowing what his number is will help them also. Wait until offseason when teams have more cap space with contracts coming off their books. I suspect Avs to push hard for Miller because they'll likely want Kadri to walk and need a replacement. We will also have more cap space and be able to go over the cap during the offseason so can possibly obtain more assets.

Our playbook opens up significantly in the offseason, and more teams will be interested. A bidding war is what we want and there wasn't enough of one at the deadline.

You're so wrong.  So very very wrong. No chance Miller has higher value than we missed out on at this TDL.  Our owner took Miller off the market.  that's why JR said a couple weeks ago the club was clearing cap to sign Miller as a number one center.  Our owner will not allow us to do a deep enough retool to become a consistent winner.  

Edited by Alflives

27 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Last week his agent said on TV they hadn't spoken yet. Last week, they've had months to negotiate.  Teams were handing out picks like candy... if they knew they weren't going to sign him last week, why not start looking for a better dance partner than someone offering a late 4th. 

For me this move is very Benningish. Waiting too long... are we back to living day to day? 

Maybe not many teams wanted to give anything up for a 4th line rental? Maybe Motte isn't as highly touted as Canucks fans think he is? Maybe management knew what he wanted and saw it as an opportunity to shed cap and gain a pick? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

So, who gets traded in the summer?

My guess:

Boeser

Garland

Pearson

Dickinson

Myers

Team could look very different next season

this team better look a lot different come October 2022 and 2023.

30 minutes ago, AV. said:

The only thing Hamonic was good at was finding reasons to not be in the lineup.  Dermott quite literally just needs to show up to be an upgrade on Hamonic.

As for Motte, I promise everybody will forget about him when the next new shiny 4th liner gets brought in.  If our competitive hopes lied in a bottom-six player, well, we were pretty $&!#e to begin with then, wouldn't you say?

I personally believe Dermott isn't good,  Hamonic had more points in the last 2 weeks than Dermott has all season.  I'd rather the team call up Rathbone.  I'm fine with the Hamonic deal, but we had capital with an extra third. I honestly feel Hamonic being replaced by Dermott is a lateral move that didn't need to happen.  That being said if he ends up being good I will admit I was wrong.  

As for Motte a late 4th seems like a throw away. I would argue he is a third line player, not a 4th line player. When the debate about who is in your starting lineup and he's not even considered to be a healthy scratch shows more value than just a 4th liner.

Edited by DS4quality
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So an early 3rd would be to a bad team. Why would a bad team want him?

Sure a 2nd would have been nice, I think if that had ever been on the table he would have been gone days ago.

It is what it is, they tried for a decent extension and it didn't work out. 

Yah I think they tried, but if you don't get the value you want, you should keep him.  Don't make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No chance Miller has higher value than we missed out on at this TDL.  Our owner took Miller off the market.  that's why JR said a couple weeks ago the club was clearing cap to sign Miller as a number one center.  Our owner will not allow us to do a deep enough retool to become a consistent winner.  

Even if he doesn't have higher he'd have the same. JR saying that shows he knows how to play the game. It's posturing. If a team thinks you're desperate to give away a player they're not gonna break the bank for him. If they think you're not they're more likely to send you a knock-your-socks-off type offer.

I wouldn't put it passed Aqua to do that, though, I just don't see that to be the case here. JR has been around too long.

51 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The bolded is the epitome of why we had to trade him for something (anything). 

I think where we differ is that you think having Motte in the lineup for the remaining 18 games means we still have a chance at the playoffs whereas I do not.

It's time to accept that we aren't making the playoffs this year; nor should we, as we won't go far even if we do and all it'll do is see us end up with a worse draft pick. 

You have your negative projection and I have a positive projection.

know we have a chance in the playoffs as we do still have a chance at the playoffs.

(Please don't give me math; I can do math.)

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess:

Boeser

Garland

Pearson

Dickinson

Myers

I would hope so cuz the current team isn’t good enough.

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess:

Boeser

Garland

Pearson

Dickinson

Myers

Only player on your list with Value this summer is Garland.

- Boeser will be a FA once arbitration is refused. No one will pay to go to arbitration with him; his only value was to a PO team at TDL

- Pearson: Meh player that is avg/over compensated. MAYBE get a 5th for him

- Dickinson: Sucks and his contract is un-tradable, unless you package him with better player or draft pick as compensation

- Myers: has to much term getting paid 1-2m above value. He MIGHT be tradable for nothing at the 2023 TDL with only 1 year left.

- Poolman: Ditto Dickinson with longer term :(

Unfortunately, only way out, is a deal like we had with ARZ where we lose a high Draft pick...

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

Only player on your list with Value this summer is Garland.

- Boeser will be a FA once arbitration is refused. No one will pay to go to arbitration with him; his only value was to a PO team at TDL

- Pearson: Meh player that is avg/over compensated. MAYBE get a 5th for him

- Dickinson: Sucks and his contract is un-tradable, unless you package him with better player or draft pick as compensation

- Myers: has to much term getting paid 1-2m above value. He MIGHT be tradable for nothing at the 2023 TDL with only 1 year left.

- Poolman: Ditto Dickinson with longer term :(

Unfortunately, only way out, is a deal like we had with ARZ where we lose a high Draft pick...

Doom

Et

Gloom

it's not that bad.

21 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I personally believe Dermott isn't good,  Hamonic had more points in the last 2 weeks than Dermott has all season.  I'd rather the team call up Rathbone.  I'm fine with the Hamonic deal, but we had capital with an extra third. I honestly feel Hamonic being replaced by Dermott is a lateral move that didn't need to happen.  That being said if he ends up being good I will admit I was wrong.  

As for Motte a late 4th seems like a throw away. I would argue he is a third line player, not a 4th line player. When the debate about who is in your starting lineup and he's not even considered to be a healthy scratch shows more value than just a 4th liner.

Dermott at this point is better than rathbone.  Rathbone will not be able to handle the physicality of this league.  We cant have 2 softies on the backend or we will get murdered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Doom

Et

Gloom

it's not that bad.

Not doom and gloom; just reality with the players selected. Honestly, I think the key is:

- Don't sign BB

- Buy Dickinson Out (991k cap hit for 2022 & 2023)

- Resign Motte at 2-2.3m price point; promote to 3rd line

- Sign a FA fwd in the 4-5m range (ala Toffoli....which we already had :( )

FA-Petterson-Hogs

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Miller-Podz

FA/AHL/Waivers- Lam-Highmore

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Dermott at this point is better than rathbone.  Rathbone will not be able to handle the physicality of this league.  We cant have 2 softies on the backend or we will get murdered.

Since teh season is a wash, lets see what Rathbone can do for the next ~15 games; pair him with Schenn or Poolman. If he makes mistakes, who cares; use them as coaching points. At least get to see what he could offer in 2022/23..

I'm more optimistic than most.

I think management wants to let this group compete in meaningful games down the stretch. The message to the team is clear, now they have to win as a group.

The defense has hopefully improved a bit while shedding some salary and a 4th line player on an expiring contract was moved for a pick and replaced by a decent waiver pick up.

Maybe no huge moves were made but I'd still give mngt a 7 rating for the Hamonic/Dermot moves alone.

• Vintage 1