The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Evgenii Dadonov, conditional 2023 2nd-round pick to Ducks for Ryan Kesler, John Moore (VOIDED)

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And people fail to understand the damage that Gillis did for a team that was in need of a rebuild. We had players that were not worth a lot. Kesler, in particular, at that time was worth less than what he SHOULD'VE been worth. Though GIllis wasn't at fault for that circumstance, Gillis did not do the team any favours, given how poor the drafting/development was during his reign. We had NO replacement players to sell off and/or graduate during a rebuild.

At some point, you had to have something to build off of, so we had Markstrom, Tanev, Edler, and Horvat. But there are so many holes on that team that it's laughable. Edler, in particular, was a relic from the past. Good defenseman, but again, no succession plan from Gillis.

Then we see Anaheim who did perform badly for a few years, and found itself trading players THIS YEAR to help their rebuild.

We just never had an owner (or a GM) who wanted to do it. This includes JR. We paid more than what we received just highlights the failure of this deadline.

I'll never understand why GMJB used 2 protection slots in the expansion draft for players that didn't make opening night.

Vegas will never win a cup. They treat their players like trash. No respect, in and out. Best chance they had was the first year because that was special. The players cared for eachother. Outcasts if you will but the way they handle their team no way a group plays together and work for eachother to make it that far.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

What's the point of a cap when teams with bankroll can just take on these contracts to increase their cap...player should have to pass a physical.  Oh well, i guess we werent much different with Ferland, i guess there is risk that he actually comes back to play so the contract isnt tradeable.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

House rules in Vegas I guess 

Pretty much.

You know the league is going to somehow retroactively allow him to waive and have the deal go through…

I’ve seen too many shady moves like that by this league to know how it will go.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Imagine being told in 11-12 that Kesler would be apart of a Las Vegas NHL organization.

I hope this deal falls through for Vegas. Not that I don't respect their willingness to be managed like an EA NHL type team, but I'd like to see the rules enforced for once & how amazing it would be to see the NHL's golden boy as the victims.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Devron said:

Vegas will never win a cup. They treat their players like trash. No respect, in and out. Best chance they had was the first year because that was special. The players cared for eachother. Outcasts if you will but the way they handle their team no way a group plays together and work for eachother to make it that far.

Kes should fit right in.

Keep an eye on your wives G-Knights.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

What's the point of a cap when teams with bankroll can just take on these contracts to increase their cap...player should have to pass a physical.  Oh well, i guess we werent much different with Ferland, i guess there is risk that he actually comes back to play so the contract isnt tradeable.

LTIR doesn't create cap space.  LTIR contracts still count against the cap.

Ferland/Sutter cost Vancouver 300K cap space just by going on LTIR - they weren't able to maximise their LTIR relief so instead of operating with a cap of 81.5M for their regular roster they are operating at 81.2M.  Anything above 81.2M is only LTIR cap and these guys can't play.  

Today CapFriendly shows Vancouver with just over 3.5M in cap space.  That space can't be banked and it's forfeited.  If they weren't in LTIR they would have been able to bank 700K =  3.5M in cap space x 20% of the season left.  

Any space they had this season is forfeited and they can't put it aside which is the reason why they have a bonus overage.  If you go down all the teams in LTIR, you'll note that barely any have end of season cap space regardless of how much room they had on the day. 

Anaheim made that deal because they have players on ELCs and it will allow them to bank cap space to limit a bonus overage.  Vegas had to clear the Dadonov contract - Kesler is on IR and not LTIR according to CapFriendly. 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2