The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Up - Boeser -- Re-Sign or Trade

Rate this topic

HKSR

How Much Will Boeser Get?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Garland gets traded.  His production has been mediocre for a 5M player.  Boudreau refers to him as a 3rd liner.

Don't think Podkolzin (who he also calls a 3rd liner) or Höglander are ready to play top-6.  They probably should be in the AHL developing.  Podkolzin never really had those big minutes in all situations - not even last year in the KHL.  Not enough recall options right now but maybe that changes in the off-season.

Agree that Podz needs to be the guy in all situations, so all for him joining Abby for the AHL playoffs.

I get that marinating players in the minors is often a good thing, and maybe you're right that Podz would have benefitted. Didn't hear anyone suggesting Hogs in the minors last season though, the argument that's been made (not by you) that he was gifted top six minutes and that it hurt his development is all hindsight imo. He just took that spot and never looked back.

He's getting some tough love from BB and maybe that will help him long term although he does look a bit lost right now, but my guess is it's the sophomore slump more than anything else.

Apart from the limited number of recalls, we really don't have any players to recall either. Nothing wrong with giving Lockwood and Rathbone a chance, but none of them are fully developed in the minors yet. We also have Petan and Chiasson on the roster, I don't see us sending e.g. Podz down as long as that's the case and we still have meaningful games to play.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Garland gets traded.  His production has been mediocre for a 5M player.  Boudreau refers to him as a 3rd liner.

Don't think Podkolzin (who he also calls a 3rd liner) or Höglander are ready to play top-6.  They probably should be in the AHL developing.  Podkolzin never really had those big minutes in all situations - not even last year in the KHL.  Not enough recall options right now but maybe that changes in the off-season.

That was one of the big concerns with Podz. Even before pandemic, his KHL team barely used him. Coming in to a full NHL season is a big jump.  
Certainly this is part of the rookie wall for everyone and after two weird seasons, lots of kids have missed significant time.

His moving back to the 4th line by BB is likely more protecting a very young player who has barely played during some very formative years. 
I think AHL playoffs will be great for him. Wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see great things until 3-4 years into Podz career giving the way he was treated in Russia.  
Having him in Abbotsford will probably be good for Klimovich as well. 

• Vintage 1

On 3/23/2022 at 8:02 AM, The King of Kings said:

It is still a mystery for me.

The team got rid of the contracts of Erickson, Beagle and Rousell.  They walked away from expensive contract extensions for the likes of Tanev, Markstrom, Edler, etc...

Yet the team is still having salary cap problem:mellow:

I agree with what some analysts said.

Cap problem should be only for contenders and playoff teams!

Thought it was JR saying that... but maybe the analysts as well...

Agree though, its hard to improve a team if you have Cap problems, so you shouldn't really have cap problems unless you are ready to rumble...

Obviously Benning thought this was possible, and with the right coach from the start, we just might have been in a playoff position.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:23 PM, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah,. and people on here still say the previous GM was good lol. 

That's the biggest thing JR has said many times, a team that consistently misses the playoffs shouldn't be against the cap. Remember Luongo is still on the books and we have one of the highest paid bluelines in the NHL which is mind boggling really. We have Ferland at $3.5 still, and a savvy signing of Poolman for $2.5 lol/ That's why there will be changes coming this summer, you can't improve a team if you have no cap room to do so. That's why I think they trade Boeser this summer. 

yes.... true...But....

How long were the GM supposed to wait, before trying to compete?

If Benning had said 2 years ago, that we would not compete until Luongo was off the books, how do you think fans would have reacted.

The Luongo mess was not Bennings......

When GMs make signings they hope the sign kings work out... there is no guarantee they will. Some does, some don't...its the same for all teams. 

And changes will be made, as we don't have any cap space. Had Benning sacked Green earlier, they may have been in the playoffs, and a lot of the unhappiness would not have existed...

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Which is easier to replace, Miller or the two wingers?  Re-sign Miller at 8.25 - 8.75 x 8)

Trade Boeser and Garland.  Kind of makes the most sense.  We have Hogs and Pods to move up and take on extra minutes.  

Yes, plus we can sign Karlsson and then Kuzmenko as cheap wingers for next year.  The most difficult thing is to get centres.  Wingers are a dime a dozen.

Höglander     Pettersson    Karlsson   (The Swedish Connection)

Podkolzin      Miller            Kuzmenko

Zacha           Horvat          Kapanen

Deslauriers   Lammikko    Highmore

Lockwood

Hughes      Schenn

OEL           Marino

Bahl           Myers  (twin towers)

Dermott     Poolman

Demko   Martin

Trade Boeser for Zacha and Bahl and a 2022 2nd round pick

Trade Garland for Kapanen and Marino

Trade Dickinson and Pearson for whatever you can get

Sign Kuzmenko from Russia

Sign Karlsson from Sweden

Sign Deslauriers as a UFA

We will need to replace Schenn and Myers in a year or two so that would be the next step in the retool.  We still have Klimovich in Abby as well.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, plus we can sign Karlsson and then Kuzmenko as cheap wingers for next year.  The most difficult thing is to get centres.  Wingers are a dime a dozen.

Lockwood

Hughes      Schenn

OEL           Marino

Dermott     Poolman

Demko   Martin

We will need to replace Schenn and Myers in a year or two so that would be the next step in the retool.  We still have Klimovich in Abby as well.

Definitely a proper shake up...

love the idea of having Deslauriers on the 4th... need deterrent and bigger players w speed.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lockwood

Hughes      Schenn

OEL           Marino

Dermott     Poolman

Demko   Martin

Rutherford says his preference is to over-rippen players in the AHL.  I think that they also want to fix the structure on how players are developed and brought up to the team.  Feels more likely that Karlsson would be spending time in the AHL to adjust.   Not sure there will be that many players making the team before they become waiver eligible. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lockwood

Hughes      Schenn

OEL           Marino

Dermott     Poolman

Demko   Martin

sry that top 6 looks pretty sad and pathetic.. if competing for the lottery is the goal then that's a great top 6 to run with.. hoglander in the top 6?? don't see that ever happening again with boudreau.. better odds of him traded or in a pressbox than him being on top 6.. that line of hoglander pettersson and karlsson is going to be knocked down non stop like bowling pins lol.. karlsson skating is still a big question mark.. and playing well in the SHL doesn't = you'll have success in the NHL let alone in a top 6 role. same with kuzmenko.. with Podz and Kuzmenko is Miller's winger? don't think we have to wait till the TDL i think he'll ask to be traded out.. 4 unproven wingers in the top 6.. don't think miller would want to tank his contract year production playing with all these question marks.

defense looks ok.. offense looks sad.. wouldn't be suprised if EP Miller Horvat all ends up with career lows in vancouver and we are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

sry that top 6 looks pretty sad and pathetic.. if competing for the lottery is the goal then that's a great top 6 to run with.. hoglander in the top 6?? don't see that ever happening again with boudreau.. better odds of him traded or in a pressbox than him being on top 6.. that line of hoglander pettersson and karlsson is going to be knocked down non stop like bowling pins lol.. karlsson skating is still a big question mark.. and playing well in the SHL doesn't = you'll have success in the NHL let alone in a top 6 role. same with kuzmenko.. with Podz and Kuzmenko is Miller's winger? don't think we have to wait till the TDL i think he'll ask to be traded out.. 4 unproven wingers in the top 6.. don't think miller would want to tank his contract year production playing with all these question marks.

defense looks ok.. offense looks sad.. wouldn't be suprised if EP Miller Horvat all ends up with career lows in vancouver and we are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Not sure how you can fit top end wingers under the cap if  you want to keep Miller around. What king of wingers who are on minimum wage to fit under the cap do you acquire?

Kuzmenko looks to be a stud. Höglander is in the doghouse but he has the talent to be in the top 6. Same with Podkolzin. Karlsson has improved his skating and has an NHL shot. The Swedish line could compliment each other. 

Would you rather keep Boeser and Garland and trade Miller?  Not sure how you are going to go about acquiring all these 30 goal score proven wingers on a limited budget. 

Boeser - gone if no team-friendly contract

Garland - 1 more year to see if he can gel with some faster guys......I like Boudreau calling him out for not using the guys on his line enough.  He'll be a fantastic asset when this happens.  I like his speed, grit and ability to get to the net.  His size is a problem but not if he has the right teammates.

Bo - the most interesting consideration in my mind.  His FO % is much needed.  The rest of his game is solid but not top end.  Nor is his leadership.  Would love to see him step down and pass the C to Miller with hopes Bo can skate freely but this won't happen.

Miller - $8M x 5-6 years should do it I think if signed this summer.  We absolutely do it.

14 hours ago, dr.naughtypants said:

Hogz would benefit from some Abbotsford time. Get some confidence. Playing up with the big team seems to be too much ATM. He's great but could use some more development.

I thought the same midseason that sending him down would have been beneficial.

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Add to that, aside from arguably his rookie season, Brock has played with better players.    Not that Kessel and Keller are chump change, but ARI kind of sucks ... Garlands production has waned though, but i do wonder how he'd do on the first unit.    It would mitigate trading Brock to a degree anyways. 

They way I look at it is Garland is better overall than Boeser. Moving Boeser means greater opportunity for Garland and it also creates better opportunity for Podz, who has also been playing well. The greater opportunity for those two more than compensates the loss of Boeser plus moving Boeser opens considerable cap space foir other areas.

6 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

That was one of the big concerns with Podz. Even before pandemic, his KHL team barely used him. Coming in to a full NHL season is a big jump.  
Certainly this is part of the rookie wall for everyone and after two weird seasons, lots of kids have missed significant time.

His moving back to the 4th line by BB is likely more protecting a very young player who has barely played during some very formative years. 
I think AHL playoffs will be great for him. Wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see great things until 3-4 years into Podz career giving the way he was treated in Russia.  
Having him in Abbotsford will probably be good for Klimovich as well. 

Keep in mind when he was in the KHL he was literally a teenager. He turns 21 in June, he's still very young and lots to learn yet. I think Podz, Hoglander and Rathbone should have been in the AHL longer to learn and gain confidence. The fact that Pods and Hogz were rushed into the lineup tells you how bad it was and kind of still is. Most teams would have those guys down in the AHL for a couple years before they saw playing time in the NHL, this franchise has failed in that regard for a long time. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

2 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Keep in mind when he was in the KHL he was literally a teenager. He turns 21 in June, he's still very young and lots to learn yet. I think Podz, Hoglander and Rathbone should have been in the AHL longer to learn and gain confidence. The fact that Pods and Hogz were rushed into the lineup tells you how bad it was and kind of still is. Most teams would have those guys down in the AHL for a couple years before they saw playing time in the NHL, this franchise has failed in that regard for a long time. 

I honestly thought Hoglander earned his shot. He was very good in the preseason. Most expected Virtanen to play in the top 6 that season and Hogs stole the spot by outplaying him. But management seems reluctant to sent him down when he struggles. Podz, one could argue with injuries to start the season, with both Motte and Sutter out, there was easily a spot to be had. Podz played well enough to at least cover the void left by injuries. But I think he has gotten better and better as the season has gone on. That's not to say there haven't been hickups along the way. But when he sat out he also came back with strong performances. He already has a pretty decent two way play and that's the most important part for young guys. I believe Podz is going to be a very solid player for this team. Hogs is still a question mark for me. I don't think either will become high end point producers. If you're not producing you need to be defending well. Podz is ahead of Hogs on that front.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure how you can fit top end wingers under the cap if  you want to keep Miller around. What king of wingers who are on minimum wage to fit under the cap do you acquire?

Kuzmenko looks to be a stud. Höglander is in the doghouse but he has the talent to be in the top 6. Same with Podkolzin. Karlsson has improved his skating and has an NHL shot. The Swedish line could compliment each other. 

Would you rather keep Boeser and Garland and trade Miller?  Not sure how you are going to go about acquiring all these 30 goal score proven wingers on a limited budget. 

Well u just said wingers are a dime a dozen.. and u got rid of 2 top 6 in boeser garland get rid of Pearson who also plays in ur top 6 and replace them all with wingers that either is not ready for a top 6 or with 0 nhl experience and expect to be competitive. Seriously I don't see how u can convince Miller to re-sign if those are the wingers you give him.. ur 4 top 6 wingers combined for a grand total of 20 goal in the nhl in 2021-22.. u can hate on boeser garland and Pearson..  but that's 50 goals you are trying to replace.. and I'll can prolly say this pretty confidently.. the 3 players u replaced the above 3 with doesn't matter what combination of hogs podz Karlsson kuzmenko will be no where close to 50 goals combined for the season while Miller and EP production will also suffer hence we are playing for the lottery... unless Karlsson comes in and plays like kaprizov which is highly unlikely with his skating concern..

So where does all the cap space from boeser Pearson garland go?? Even more on one of the most expensive mediocre defense in the league?

Edited by wai_lai416

16 hours ago, mll said:

I don’t think you can send Höglander or Podkolzin to Abby. that would be a step back in their professional development as player in my opinion. It’s too late for that. They should have sent them to Abby before spending the year in the NHL. They have to develop into top six roles (if that’s what the organization is asking of them), or they’ll be middle six players at best. Depends on what their ceiling is, and what management sees their ceiling to be. I can see both of them hitting 20 goals, eventually, but they might not be Pettersson calibre kind of production players. In fact, they probably aren’t. I think both have a chance of becoming top six players on the team. Höglander and Podkolzin both cracking 40-50 points each. That’s not bad, not great. 

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Well u just said wingers are a dime a dozen.. and u got rid of 2 top 6 in boeser garland get rid of Pearson who also plays in ur top 6 and replace them all with wingers that either is not ready for a top 6 or with 0 nhl experience and expect to be competitive. Seriously I don't see how u can convince Miller to re-sign if those are the wingers you give him.. ur 4 top 6 wingers combined for a grand total of 20 goal in the nhl in 2021-22.. u can hate on boeser garland and Pearson..  but that's 50 goals you are trying to replace.. and I'll can prolly say this pretty confidently.. the 3 players u replaced the above 3 with doesn't matter what combination of hogs podz Karlsson kuzmenko will be no where close to 50 goals combined for the season while Miller and EP production will also suffer hence we are playing for the lottery... unless Karlsson comes in and plays like kaprizov which is highly unlikely with his skating concern..

Who is this Kuzmenko player you are talking about…

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

They way I look at it is Garland is better overall than Boeser. Moving Boeser means greater opportunity for Garland and it also creates better opportunity for Podz, who has also been playing well. The greater opportunity for those two more than compensates the loss of Boeser plus moving Boeser opens considerable cap space foir other areas.

Garland’s on pace for 20 goals this season, isn’t he? I wonder if he can hit 25 goals in a season if given the offensive opportunity to do so. Garland’s also a better skater than Boeser, so he has an advantage in that area of their games. 

56 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Who is this Kuzmenko player you are talking about…

Andrei Kuzmenko is the stud winger who was playing with SKA in the KHL and was the 2nd leading scorer last year. He was a teammate of Podkolzin. He is a free agent and can sign with any NHL team. 

Here is one of the sickest goals you will see: