The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Mar. 24, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

thats exactly it. 

I know a lot of people had big plans for this TDL, but imo we don't need to blow this team up, it needs some size added in. 

As you highlighted earlier though a certain amount of blowing up needs to be done to add size. 
our top 6 has Pettey, Hoglander, Garland who are all tiny. Bo and JTM are average sized at best and Pearson is decent sized though I wouldn’t call big. 
‘No way to put size in our top six without doing some subtraction first. Same with cap.

Podz progression will help a lot but essentially we need to move some littles to make room for bigs. 

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Minny isn't much different then it was when we took them down last time.   Hartman and Foligno were there then, and they were the second best defensive team in the league at that time (lacked offense for sure)...  I wouldn't be placing any bets we couldn't beat them in a seven game series...that said i doubt we get the chance to either. 

when the canucks make the playoffs we are going to be the toughest team to beat.  we have the best goalie in the world good luck other teams

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

These are good games, gives management a real good idea of what they have. They'll figure out who will form the new core in the off season and make improvements. I think the Canucks need to get bigger and faster, able to stand up to any team physically.  When OEL is the go-to tough guy to jump in and save the day, there's a problem.

Wouldn't that be wild if they didn't trade Bo or Miller, but these guys instead, to get tougher and meaner.

Pettersson

Garland

Boeser

I feel that Myers also needs to be traded. He makes too much and the refs just love to give him head shot penalties after legal hits. The guy is a giant, but he won't fight.

The problem isn't the star players.  Looking at the roster for the Wild, their 3 top FW and

2 top D are all very skilled and very small.  These are the guys you need to win games. 

The difference with Minni, is that they have brought in big, strong and scrappy guys to

support the skilled guys.  Zuke and Spurs are 5'8, but they don't get the abuse that our

smaller guys get. 

Canuck management need to change up some of the team's support players (and unload some

cap space) if they want to do anything in the playoffs in the coming year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

As you highlighted earlier though a certain amount of blowing up needs to be done to add size. 
our top 6 has Pettey, Hoglander, Garland who are all tiny. Bo and JTM are average sized at best and Pearson is decent sized though I wouldn’t call big. 
‘No way to put size in our top six without doing some subtraction first. Same with cap.

Podz progression will help a lot but essentially we need to move some littles to make room for bigs. 

I'd be OK with moving on from Hogs  if it were part of a larger deal for a hockey trade for a bigger dman or intimidating F. I consider the core F group to be Miller, Bo, Petey and Brock, I don't see Hoglander making it up there full time. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

We need big and tough guys that can play though.  Throwing in a goon on a top 6 line is pointless (pun intended).  How many players in the league are capable of top 6 minutes, while also enforcing? 

This is a problem here on CDC I think: people think every player has to do everything well.

These winger meat hooks only need 3 things, intelligence (to make sure the other team takes at least equal penalties), speed (they're of no use if they can't get there), and a Bat-Marchand Crazy Load of Marchand-You-Up!

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We need big and tough guys that can play though.  Throwing in a goon on a top 6 line is pointless (pun intended).  How many players in the league are capable of top 6 minutes, while also enforcing? 

it won't be easy, but one UFA I'd like to target is Nick Paul. Tampa hopefully won't find a way to retain him. Not really a "top 6" but he'd be a great add for the 3rd line. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

This is a problem here on CDC I think: people think every player has to do everything well.

These winger meat hooks only need 3 things, intelligence (to make sure the other team takes at least equal penalties), speed (they're of no use if they can't get there), and a Bat-Marchand Crazy Load of Marchand-You-Up!

No, I don't think every player has to do everything well, but I think a player in the top 6 should be able to contribute offensively.  Throwing a big and tough guy on to Petey's line just for the sake of protection would be a poor coaching move in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it won't be easy, but one UFA I'd like to target is Nick Paul. Tampa hopefully won't find a way to retain him. Not really a "top 6" but he'd be a great add for the 3rd line. 

I was going through the list of forwards and Lawson Crouse sticks out.  Not a big time fighter, but he's not afraid to drop em, and has the size (6'4") to hang in there.  He'd cost futures though, so not sure how we would be able to get him.

EDIT:  Actually, trading Garland for futures, and flipping them to Arizona for Crouse would be ideal.  If we could get a 1st and a prospect for Garland, I'd flip a 1st plus some more to land Crouse.

Edited by HKSR
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Yes, our skill guys are fine. Our skill guys withstand a lot and play through it. I think it would be adding some muscle to the bottom pairing and the bottom 6 that would make for a safer work environment. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

Henrik Sedin's contract 2001-2004 total $3,689,500, 2005 1,250,000, 2006-2009 total $10,725,000, Pettersson 22.5 mi for 3 yr, 7.35/yr, compare how much he makes and what he can bring to the team now he IS trash, can he be better? big question mark, if someone offer some practice pucks now, they should take it!

Again your lack of understanding is disturbing especially for a guy throwing around words like trash

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I was going through the list of forwards and Lawson Crouse sticks out.  Not a big time fighter, but he's not afraid to drop em, and has the size (6'4") to hang in there.  He'd cost futures though, so not sure how we would be able to get him.

EDIT:  Actually, trading Garland for futures, and flipping them to Arizona for Crouse would be ideal.  If we could get a 1st and a prospect for Garland, I'd flip a 1st plus some more to land Crouse.

Is Crouse a center?  If he is then we can move Miller for a young RSD.