The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscars Launch Formal Review of Will Smith After Chris Rock Slap

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Has the precedent been set that any comic who makes a tasteless joke (as determined by an audience member) can be attacked on stage?  Will some comics (who perform where audiences are often intoxicated) carry a gun?  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Actually some words and the feelings they impart have a far deeper and longer lasting effect  than a physical attack. 

As my father told me bones and bruises heal, you hurt/ impact negatively someone's mind that can last forever. 

Words do this.

We were taught sticks and stones can break my bones and words can really hurt/ me others.

Bones and bruises heal rather quickly compared to the mind.

If you slapped me it would hurt but I could laugh it off.

If you told me that my biological parents dumped me because they didn't love me that would live with me forever.

Take it from me, it happened to me when I was a kid,and while a don't dwell on it, I can still remember the kid that said that to me and how much it hurt.

I am glad you have popped up again in this topic. I know you are a smart empathetic person.

Do you think Will should have done it? over a joke. Chris claimed he didn't know about the condition, so I will take him at his word

Do you think Chris might have some emotional scaring from the slap?

He was attacking in front of millions.... what does that do to his psyche?

Would he have been reminded that he was a small person that had to just take it from a bully?

• Vintage 3

5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Actually some words and the feelings they impart have a far deeper and longer lasting effect  than a physical attack. 

As my father told me bones and bruises heal, you hurt/ impact negatively someone's mind that can last forever. 

Words do this.

We were taught sticks and stones can break my bones and words can really hurt/ me others.

If you told me that my biological parents dumped me because they didn't love me that would live with me forever.

Take it from me, it happened to me when I was a kid,and while a don't dwell on it, I can still remember the kid that said that to me and how much it hurt.

The words CR used were hurtful. But, that’s not the point.  It’s the attack by WS that is of concern.  WS attacked someone and nothing was done as a consequence.  That’s a bad message sent to an already screwed up US citizenry.  

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Words do this.

C'mon IIluga...you're paraphrasing JM here.

Your mental abuse experiences that are much more serious, I'm sorry to hear, isn't near close in comparison

to this instance of two celebrities...one jabbing...the other EXPLODING.

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, AfterMath35 said:

Making fun of someone for getting something wrong due to a disability isn't even remotely comparable to a comedian saying he cant wait for G.I Jane 2...

Support your sentiments but is hair loss a disability?

55 minutes ago, JM_ said:

knock off the escalating please, you've been doing this all day. 

words are not worse than a physical attack :picard:

Its clear to me that you care far more about being a white knight, defender of feelings. We live in a free society where yes people get to make jokes. Get over it, no one needs you turning them into victims. 

Maybe you should knock off the rationalization of the very public humiliation of a human being who has a medical condition beyond her control.

I don't think I'm the one who should feel bad here

• Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I am glad you have popped up again in this topic. I know you are a smart empathetic person.

Do you think Will should have done it? over a joke. Chris claimed he didn't know about the condition, so I will take him at his word

Would he have been reminded that he was a small person that had to just take it from a bully?

No one thinks will Smith should have done it, but the "don't be so sensitive, it's just a joke" rationalization is the core foundation of every single bully out there.  It's victim blaming, pure and simple.

• Vintage 2

59 minutes ago, JM_ said:

knock off the escalating please, you've been doing this all day. 

words are not worse than a physical attack :picard:

Its clear to me that you care far more about being a white knight, defender of feelings. We live in a free society where yes people get to make jokes. Get over it, no one needs you turning them into victims. 

I can tell you that both teenagers that I taught who ended their lives didn't do it because they were getting physically beat up.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Cuz Chris Rock declined to press charges.

In California are charges required for a very public assault?  In every circumstance that assault happens, the attacker is arrested, and then (after an investigation) the victim is asked if he wants to press charges?  

9 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Support your sentiments but is hair loss a disability?

Not under the normal understanding of the term…though I guess for an actor not having hair could effect your career (wigs are an option though).

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Maybe you should knock off the rationalization of the very public humiliation of a human being who has a medical condition beyond her control.

I was trying to get your response earlier: why no outrage over this “public humiliation” of Lebron James concerning his androgenetic alopecia, that also occurred during the Oscars ceremony?  

Edited by Coda
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Regardless of the hurtful words, is physically assaulting the other person (who spoke those words) acceptable?  

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Coda said:

Not under the normal understanding of the term…though I guess for an actor not having hair could effect your career (wigs are an option though).

I was trying to get your response earlier: why no outrage over this “public humiliation” of Lebron James concerning his androgenetic alopecia, that also occurred during the Oscars ceremony?  

I agree completely.  There should be, that just reinforces my point.

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Well he made the conscious decision to set that in motion for entertainment vslue

• Vintage 1

Wow this is some thread.

Deer Popcorn GIF

Is Chris gonna have PTSD from getting slapped. Really now we're making Chris the victim. If it was my wife I'da slapped him too soo.

For those of you

are words not weapons too. 

The slap so sassy

it made paparazzi 

a million or two. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1