The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Boudreau coming back?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

https://vancouverhockeynow.com/2022/05/11/exclusive-bruce-boudreau-vancouver-canucks-jim-rutherford-patrik-allvin/

May 11, 2022 By Rob Simpson

Vancouver Canucks Head Coach Bruce Boudreau told Vancouver Hockey Now on Wednesday that preferably by early next week he hopes to confirm the option to return to the club for the 2022-’23 season with Canucks President of Hockey Operations Jim Rutherford and General Manager Patrik Allvin.

There are a couple of important minor details to work out. He’s not waiting for any particular tactical reasons or for any leverage of any sort.

Otherwise, Boudreau has been simply taking a break after what he again referred to as a ‘perpetual game-7 since December’.

‘Gabby’ has until June 1st to make a commitment, but with no other opportunities of interest in existence, nor any real desire to pursue one, Boudreau would like to be back to “complete what we started.”

He’s still under contract to the Vancouver Canucks and has not spoken to other clubs.

“I have as special a relationship with these players in Vancouver as I did with the guys in Washington on my first NHL job,” Boudreau told VHN.

He’s been on the go since heading back east last Wednesday, visiting with friends and family, including his mom in Toronto, and making arrangements for summer hockey camps.

“I’m just taking a breather here, the plan and desire is to come back,” he added.

As for the dream scenario of coaching his childhood team and the club he played 134 of his 141 NHL games for, the Toronto Maple Leafs, that remains simply a dream, even if the Leafs were to collapse again in the first round. It’s not a realistic scenario for him to pursue nor has he been thinking about it.

“It will remain a dream,” Boudreau said. “My dream now is to win as much as possible with the Vancouver Canucks. We started something special here and I want to see it to fruition.”

Between Covid setbacks and injuries, and employing AHL players in the line-up over the final weeks of the season, he believes the Canucks otherwise would have been a playoff team.

“We accomplished a lot, it was quite a challenge,” Boudreau said. “I’m proud of the guys.”

Boudreau hopes to nail down a couple of items with management next week and would like to have things settled within the next ten days if possible. The items do not involve his term or salary.

The club to this point has not wavered on its commitment to the timeline, while the Vancouver Canucks players have given Gabby their overwhelming endorsement.

How the f$&k did that all of a sudden become about the Maple Leafs??

If Leafs fans ever wonder why the rest of Canada hates them…This…this is why.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Muttley said:

https://vancouverhockeynow.com/2022/05/11/exclusive-bruce-boudreau-vancouver-canucks-jim-rutherford-patrik-allvin/

Vancouver Canucks Head Coach Bruce Boudreau told Vancouver Hockey Now on Wednesday that preferably by early next week he hopes to confirm the option to return to the club for the 2022-’23 season with Canucks President of Hockey Operations Jim Rutherford and General Manager Patrik Allvin.

There are a couple of important minor details to work out. He’s not waiting for any particular tactical reasons or for any leverage of any sort.

Otherwise, Boudreau has been simply taking a break after what he again referred to as a ‘perpetual game-7 since December’.

‘Gabby’ has until June 1st to make a commitment, but with no other opportunities of interest in existence, nor any real desire to pursue one, Boudreau would like to be back to “complete what we started.”

He’s still under contract to the Vancouver Canucks and has not spoken to other clubs.

“I have as special a relationship with these players in Vancouver as I did with the guys in Washington on my first NHL job,” Boudreau told VHN.

He’s been on the go since heading back east last Wednesday, visiting with friends and family, including his mom in Toronto, and making arrangements for summer hockey camps.

“I’m just taking a breather here, the plan and desire is to come back,” he added.

As for the dream scenario of coaching his childhood team and the club he played 134 of his 141 NHL games for, the Toronto Maple Leafs, that remains simply a dream, even if the Leafs were to collapse again in the first round. It’s not a realistic scenario for him to pursue nor has he been thinking about it.

“It will remain a dream,” Boudreau said. “My dream now is to win as much as possible with the Vancouver Canucks. We started something special here and I want to see it to fruition.”

Between Covid setbacks and injuries, and employing AHL players in the line-up over the final weeks of the season, he believes the Canucks otherwise would have been a playoff team.

“We accomplished a lot, it was quite a challenge,” Boudreau said. “I’m proud of the guys.”

Boudreau hopes to nail down a couple of items with management next week and would like to have things settled within the next ten days if possible. The items do not involve his term or salary.

The club to this point has not wavered on its commitment to the timeline, while the Vancouver Canucks players have given Gabby their overwhelming endorsement.

"There are a couple of important minor details to work out. He’s not waiting for any particular tactical reasons or for any leverage of any sort.

Boudreau hopes to nail down a couple of items with management next week and would like to have things settled within the next ten days if possible. The items do not involve his term or salary." 

Cool. He's not asking for more money or term. Could be related to support structure/resources he needs.  My initial guess was performance bonuses, but sounds like that is not the case.  If he performs well, the reward will be an extension.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

"There are a couple of important minor details to work out. He’s not waiting for any particular tactical reasons or for any leverage of any sort.

Boudreau hopes to nail down a couple of items with management next week and would like to have things settled within the next ten days if possible. The items do not involve his term or salary." 

Cool. He's not asking for more money or term. Could be related to support structure/resources he needs.  My initial guess was performance bonuses, but sounds like that is not the case.  If he performs well, the reward will be an extension.  

This interview sounds almost too good to be true (for us true Boudreau believers at least!). It makes it sound like a formality that he's coming back. I don't think he's given any other interviews since his end of season presser so I'm surprised this site got an exclusive scoop.

31 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

This interview sounds almost too good to be true (for us true Boudreau believers at least!). It makes it sound like a formality that he's coming back. I don't think he's given any other interviews since his end of season presser so I'm surprised this site got an exclusive scoop.

Rick Dahliwal on radio today said pretty the same thing. He spoke to Bruce last night.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

And if we trade Miller, Myers, and Garland for futures?  JR has said we will take a step back.  Bruce might be better off with a 3 year deal on another club.

Yeah I don't disagree there is a chance we are not as good next year. But I also see a scenario where we are better. 

I don't imagine we'll trade those 3 just for draft picks and not use that cap for other things. I think Meyers getting moved for a pick is possible, but I also think the team will be targeting a new top 4 Dman to sign with that cap we free up (Manson, Klingberg, etc). Moving Miller while it will hurt offensively, I think in that trade the team will be looking to acquire another top 4 Dman this time on the younger end and maybe a later 1st round pick. This should help solidify our D group and make it far stronger. Hughes and OEL both get new partners and Schenn moves down to 3rd pairing where he is a better fit and will play with Rathbone (Dermott also in the mix for that bottom pair). 

So we take a hit offensively, but we're better on the backend. Peaty should hopefully be better next year without the slow start he had and the big one is Boeser. I think they are trying to resign him and I have a feeling they will and at a decent cap hit too. This guy is clearly better then he showed this season based on his career so far (and we know now he was dealing with some very troubling personal stuff) and I think it is reasonable to expect him to be a solid top 6 winger again. 

In regards to Bruce, I think he'll be back. While I am with a lot of people and thought they would offer him a new 2-3 year contract, I don't hate that they have decided to wait before committing to see how he does next year (if he decides to return). JR wasn't wrong when he said their structure is weak and we rely on Demko for too many wins and JT having a career year. I want this organization to be better and not just right now. Nothing is a guarantee of course, but I appreciate the change in mindset so far that we've seen.  

Hmmmm..   perhaps JR’s statements from last week have become an elephant in the room..

anyone else think he was being a bit too “dictoral” in his thoughts ?

Edited by SilentSam

Hearing all the chatter on Twitter, makes me think this might not be a slam dunk as most thought it might be. 

What could be the hold up? He reportedly wants to be back, management has said they want him back, sooooooo? 

I can see some players be really frustrated with management if they screw this one up. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hmmmm..   perhaps JR’s statements from last week have become an elephant in the room..

anyone else think he was being a bit too “dictoral” in his thoughts ?

It's possible he pissed Bruce off. 

He better have a goddamn good back up plan for head coach. 

I wonder if one of the conditions with Boudreau coming back, is that JR wants to replace Brad Shaw?  They did comment on the D structure and how it's one of the worst in the league. New D coach next year?  Special teams were bad too, so who knows if King and Walker will be back too.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if one of the conditions with Boudreau coming back, is that JR wants to replace Brad Shaw?  They did comment on the D structure and how it's one of the worst in the league. New D coach next year?  Special teams were bad too, so who knows if King and Walker will be back too.

Didn't our structure (overall) improve when Walker got ill and Shaw took over?

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't our structure (overall) improve when Walker got ill and Shaw took over?

I'm not sure. Just thinking though, Brad Shaw wasn't Boudreau's guy, so he might not care as much. Maybe they want to replace Walker?  Bruce would not like that.

If Shaw is let go, I wonder if they'll hire Phil Housley as the D coach. Should be an interesting off season, everyone's job in question, everyone (except for Petey, Hughes and Demko) on the trade block, basically. 

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It's possible he pissed Bruce off. 

He better have a goddamn good back up plan for head coach. 

The team would be pissed if Bruce dosent come back,.  That was an excellent display of teamwork to Rally With Boudreau and create that amount of wins in that short of time.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:01 PM, Muttley said:

Putting all the speculation aside, this to me is what holds the greatest weight.

1) he loves it here and compares the player connection to that of Washington 

2) he has been under the gun in high stress situations since the get go and is not stalling, just taking a breather

3) he is proud of what he and the team has accomplished and wants to build on that

This is the most celebrated coach ever by Vancouver fans. When have any of you remembered cheers in the arena for a coach?

ice hockey what GIF by NHL

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This is the most celebrated coach ever by Vancouver fans. When have any of you remembered cheers in the arena for a coach?

Pat Quinn

Roger Neilson          2 guys with statues.

When Bruce gets his statue done, come back and talk about most celebrated.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Pat Quinn

Roger Neilson          2 guys with statues.

When Bruce gets his statue done, come back and talk about most celebrated.

That’s a long time ago Gurn,.  your dating yourself.  Especially if your talking statues.

I think that’s what @grandmaster is trying to get at.

• Upvote 1