The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

In 2012 I was 10 years younger; but things change.

In 2012, the Sedins were but one year older than JT Miller is today.:wacko:

Eder was 25.

Bieksa & Hamhuis were younger than either OEL or Myers.

Tanev was 22.

Kesler was 28 (younger than JT Miller is today).

etc., etc.,

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What is far more important is that the vast majority of the public do not trust media. That situation predated Trump. When the public does not trust what they are reading or hearing it undermines our society. Those on the left or right can take advantage. Media was supposed to be the unbiased medium that could expose excesses that inevitably happen. I suggest that if media was the pillar we expect then people like Trump never would have got traction in the first place. Many on the left also get away with preying on public ignorance of their actions. BLM is a classic as the principals pocketed millions of $. The excesses of a few cannot be the standard that the majority aspire too. 

Our society has descended from great aspiration to being 'influencers'. The idea that being an 'influencer' would have the highest hit rate in a poll versus the Chinese where being an astronaut was #1 is incredibly sad.  

I remember this story being floated months ago and when I asked for proof, it was not forthcoming. What I did find was several fact checks that debunked the theory that one of it's principals used BLM donations to purchase homes:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/04/19/fact-check-misleading-claim-blm-co-founders-real-estate/7241450002/

The core question here is whether Khan-Cullors' purchases are linked to her BLM role, as the post implies.

For this claim, like any others we fact-check, the burden of proof is on the speaker. The post provided no proof of such a connection, the author did not respond to provide any, and we found none in our research, though documents are limited given the nature of the organization and Khan-Cullors' employment history.

So, again....if you can back up this claim with some evidence, please do so....

• Cheers 2

So I wake up this morning to find that myself and a few others who do mind that the richest man in the world is a dink are part of some cabal with a vendetta to bring him down. Interesting, but I have to admit kind of exciting as I’ve never been part of something so devious!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I think @Warhippy floated this in one of the threads. That Elon might be the guy that benefits down the road of by the devaluation of crypto. I don't play with that 'currency' nor do I do the twittty but something about the fact that he is so much an influence in both these digital arenas makes me raise an eyebrow and wonder what his game really is. 

He absolutely does/will.

At some point he'll slyly dump a bunch of money in to some form of crypto currency, he'll rave about it again.  Stock will rise, he'll dump a bunch at 30% and 60% and then claim it's trash a day later

See Doge.

It's a super easy way for the guy to make a ton of bank doing very little.

As for investigating "FTX" for their scams, are we also going to investigate Musk for his hand in it all?  He single handedly pushed then devalued digital currency to the tune of tens of billions to his benefit.  He cost a lot of people a lot of money

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

You don’t have any left media in US.

Only middle to right… The left isn’t visible for me anyway. 
Or do you call ”treat people with respect” left?

What are you talking about Timra? That is the FAR LEFT.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

I have to think there's a huge opportunity for another tech company with tons of resources to roll out a Twitter replacement in the next few months. A company like Meta that has unsuccessfully spent $15B  on creating a viable metaverse could surely switch some of those resources over to create product that people actually want to use. I would think they could have a very simple working beta version out by the end of the year, leveraging existing technology underlying Facebook.

37 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I have to think there's a huge opportunity for another tech company with tons of resources to roll out a Twitter replacement in the next few months. A company like Meta that has unsuccessfully spent $15B  on creating a viable metaverse could surely switch some of those resources over to create product that people actually want to use. I would think they could have a very simple working beta version out by the end of the year, leveraging existing technology underlying Facebook.

Ex-Twitter employees pitching investors next week....

FhzutOmXwAYUfQ5.thumb.jpg.10e6b06fd2204d30b474a28c8679a4ac.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Apparently, that was just "an opinion", but if you want any evidence to back it up, you're supposed to go find it yourself.....

are you unfamiliar with the concept of an opinion? you guys crack me up. And yes, go do your own homework please. I told you, go click on one of the many twitter threads posted in this topic. 

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

You don’t have any left media in US.

Only middle to right… The left isn’t visible for me anyway. 
Or do you call ”treat people with respect” left?

I think it really depends on your pov. For Americans, many ideas are "left" that seem just like basic societal good to most other G20 nations. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

How about we start another thread based on the crimes of FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried? Where did Sam hide his billions? How many jobs did he cost people? Was his company ever legitimate? Mush versus Bankman-Fried? Which person has benefited mankind the most? Questions to ponder.  

Please start such a thread.

I’d be very interested in this  although I admit I know virtually zip about crypto. I never even heard of Sam Bankman-Fried until a few days ago when I posted a graph of the largest political donors in the US politics thread. I wondered who he was and why he was one of the largest donors to the Dems.

I like to think I can criticize a dink like Musk and be open to the possibility of massive fraud by a Democratic donor all at the same time. Repealing Citizens United should be  step one in the US.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

are you unfamiliar with the concept of an opinion? you guys crack me up. And yes, go do your own homework please. I told you, go click on one of the many twitter threads posted in this topic. 

Maybe it's just me, but I have always been of the opinion that the person making the claim is the one who is responsible for backing it up.

I guess not everyone agrees....:unsure:

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe it's just me, but I have always been of the opinion that the person making the claim is the one who is responsible for backing it up.

I guess not everyone agrees....:unsure:

now you're just being disingenuous. I never said it was a "claim." 

I know I'm taking my life in my hands not towing the lefty line on CDC, but its OK for people to have opinions Rup. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

now you're just being disingenuous. I never said it was a "claim." 

I know I'm taking my life in my hands not towing the lefty line on CDC, but its OK for people to have opinions Rup. 

You didn't? Didn't you tell me I just had to click on any of the twitter threads to find the examples of the left wanting to tear down Musk? :huh:

I totally get the opinion part, but the above suggested to me that I would find evidence to back what you were saying, if only I would go looking for it.

I'm genuinely confused now....:unsure:

• Cheers 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

You didn't? Didn't you tell me I just had to click on any of the twitter threads to find the examples of the left wanting to tear down Musk? :huh:

I totally get the opinion part, but the above suggested to me that I would find evidence to back what you were saying, if only I would go looking for it.

I'm genuinely confused now....:unsure:

then maybe drop it? not sure why you're harping on me over it, tbh. 

I hold a view that you don't, can you leave it there?

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

then maybe drop it? not sure why you're harping on me over it, tbh. 

I hold a view that you don't, can you leave it there?

I guess. Thing is, I was genuinely trying to find evidence of what you were claiming. If you had just said in the first place that it was just your opinion and that you didn't have any evidence, I would have dropped it several posts ago....

• Cheers 1