The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sharks vs Canucks | April 9th @ 7 PM | Rogers Arena | SNET 1, SNET Pacific, City

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You gotta give both him and Chiasson some props who have both played well despite a lot of unwarranted hatred for bottom line replacement players. In fact both stepped up and delivered when needed on several occasions.

I still think people conflate their hate of Green with these guys. Most teams have a couple players like this somewhere at the bottom of the line-up. For me personally I still couldn't care less that we lost Zac MacEwen, hate the way he plays even though he's got a whopping 7 points ... but -14 with 101 pim lol. Gadjovich is younger but he doesn't even look like he's going stick in the NHL so big yawn on that one.

I'm super excited to see if Rathbone gets a game or two. This is the exact definition of deserving of a call up to see what you got at the NHL level. Especially after a year in the AHL and his success at that level.

I’d urge folks to find some Rathbone highlights from recent Abby Canuck games. Kid plays with a flair that is very entertaining. In his “tryout” to begin this season I think Green and his staff were trying to coach his innate hockey instincts out of him. When he gets up here I hope he’s told to do what he does best…which is skate fast and shoot hard. While of course trying to be defensively mindful. :)

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Do you think it's acceptable to allow Petan, Chiasson, and Hunt to play in the NHL for any reason?  Yes or no question.

Of those 3 I’d only really consider Chaisson. But I’d prefer they try to upgrade beyond him.

Seen all I need to see with Petan, and while Hunt has been great in his role, time to replace him with Rathbone.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

100% filler. This team just has no depth. 

They're not acceptable filler though.  All 3 are worse than useless and are actively hurting the team every time they are gifted unearned minutes.  Petan especially is an absolute disgrace to the franchise with his atrocious play in both ends of the ice, while Hunt is yet another defenceman who can't play defence.  We have Green to thank for cutting actual NHLers in favour of this trash.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

So what’s your favourite teams bottom six like?

Ummm. what do you mean? My ideal bottom 6 or the team who has the best bottom 6 in the NHL? Florida and TB both have excellent bottom 6 set ups. 

Unfortunately with us even though it's been a rough year we only have one player there I would consider a long term option plus Hoglander(?).

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Ummm. what do you mean? My ideal bottom 6 or the team who has the best bottom 6 in the NHL? Florida and TB both have excellent bottom 6 set ups. 

Unfortunately with us even though it's been a rough year we only have one player there I would consider a long term option plus Hoglander(?).

I would rather have a tougher bunch but I’m not sure the old grind you into the ice bottom six is possible with so many bidders taking the cream and spreading it across the league.

8 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’d urge folks to find some Rathbone highlights from recent Abby Canuck games. Kid plays with a flair that is very entertaining. In his “tryout” to begin this season I think Green and his staff were trying to coach his innate hockey instincts out of him. When he gets up here I hope he’s told to do what he does best…which is skate fast and shoot hard. While of course trying to be defensively mindful. :)

Yeah I really have no idea what Benning was thinking on this one. He had Juolevi/Rather penciled in with no other vet ... cept Hunt. Then he cuts Juolevi with no LD replacement and expects Rathbone to play shutdown D. Way too much pressure but something I'm sure he's become way more accustomed to now. 

Like you said I think he'll be at his best when left to figure out certain elements of the NHL on his own. Now that he has some experience of course.

I definitely think there is something to the rumours that Boudreau might not be back next year. His demeanour in his pressers is much less animated than previously. I’d almost describe him as “dour” these days. Then you have the rather lukewarm endorsements by Rutherford’s padawan Allvin. From Bruce’s side, he’s more an East coast guy than West coast….so he may be interested in some jobs that might be available back East, closer to home for him. 

But then again, it could be I could absolutely be reading into something that’s not there. When you’ve lived as long as I have you just tend to get “gut feelings” about things based on a lot of life expereince.

• Cheers 1

Can't lose any games. Not one. If they do, well, they tried with little runway they had left.

I don't mind the Canucks makeshift bottom 6, they play hard anyway. Dickinson, though, is terrible.

Glad Hughes are Burroughs are both back. Going to need another stellar game from Demko

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

:lol: Hunt and Chiasson will 100% be playing in the NHL next year. So you're wrong there. They are simply in the fringe of the 736 NHL players required yearly in the NHL. Just a suggestion but perhaps something along the lines of 'these are some of the worst players in the league', is more accurate. Or are you arguing that the league size should be reduced?

Chiasson has been better than Gadjovich and it's not even close amigo.

Gadvovich has been far better and is actually useful, unlike Chiasson who is as useful as a Russian ballot box.  There are at least 5 guys on most AHL teams who are a massive upgrade over worthless trash like Chiasson, and Hunt is nowhere close to being able to play well enough in his own zone to be an actual NHL quality player.  I'm arguing that if a team resorts to using these bums, even in an emergency, they have already failed.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I would rather have a tougher bunch but I’m not sure the old grind you into the ice bottom six is possible with so many bidders taking the cream and spreading it across the league.

I definitely want to add two things to the bottom 6 next year. Some size/toughness but also some much needed leadership to help out Bo, OEL, Miller, and co, and get this team playing the right way in all three periods. It's a really nice developmental/succession plan when you can bring up young, talented, prospects and plop them on the third or fourth line to develop without pressure.

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gadvovich has been far better and is actually useful, unlike Chiasson who is as useful as a Russian ballot box.  There are at least 5 guys on most AHL teams who are a massive upgrade over worthless trash like Chiasson, and Hunt is nowhere close to being able to play well enough in his own zone to be an actual NHL quality player.  I'm arguing that if a team resorts to using these bums, even in an emergency, they have already failed.

Yeah, and I'm guessing a couple more teams will fail next year too. I bet if you go through the league your rating would indicate 75% of the league teams are failures. I get it though, you really hate Chiasson and Hunt as hockey players.

Disagree on Greenjovich, he's more useless than useless, so he has Chiasson beat there. Numbers and deployment back that up as well but respect your opinion.

37 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I definitely think there is something to the rumours that Boudreau might not be back next year. His demeanour in his pressers is much less animated than previously. I’d almost describe him as “dour” these days. Then you have the rather lukewarm endorsements by Rutherford’s padawan Allvin. From Bruce’s side, he’s more an East coast guy than West coast….so he may be interested in some jobs that might be available back East, closer to home for him. 

But then again, it could be I could absolutely be reading into something that’s not there. When you’ve lived as long as I have you just tend to get “gut feelings” about things based on a lot of life expereince.

I’m getting the same vibes as well. I can’t tell if he’s just resigned to the fact that they don’t really have a chance at the playoffs, if he knows he’s probably not back next season, or if the 3-month grind of trying so hard to make the playoffs has worn him down a bit and he’s just a little exhausted. 

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

I’m getting the same vibes as well. I can’t tell if he’s just resigned to the fact that they don’t really have a chance at the playoffs, if he knows he’s probably not back next season, or if the 3-month grind of trying so hard to make the playoffs has worn him down a bit and he’s just a little exhausted. 

Good points there. Whatever the reasons, he’s definitely no longer engaged in the “charm offensive” he had going on in the first half of his tenure here. Had the media and fans here positively enraptured. ::D

2 hours ago, lmm said:

Cheezy Ol Chiasson on the second line

woot!!

The Chiasson ant Hunt haters need to feel some shame

Not big fan and I am not feeling any shame. Their TOI should have gone to younger options. That said I am glad they are playing steady hockey. Chiasson has played some nice hockey lately. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Do you think it's acceptable to allow Petan, Chiasson, and Hunt to play in the NHL for any reason?  Yes or no question.

I know the question wasnt directed at me, but no, none of them should be in our lineup. 

Sort of the price we pay now for not having quality prospects that could be giving us great value on ELC's in their spots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

He's on fire in Abby, such good vision and IQ , but please leave him alone in Abbotsford they need him for the playoffs

Petey with a hatty tonight. He's been looking like his old confident self the last month or so and ripped it up on the 2 game road trip. Hope he continues to create for his teammates and bury his own chances!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2