The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

That’s great. Who do you play in the top six if you are acquiring bottom six players?

Podz is probably one of the guys stepping up.

Petey/Boeser gets a lot of the points Miller got this season and so on.

Bottom six is for depth and you forget about the risk of Miller becoming an anchor when he reach 35.

56 minutes ago, JM_ said:

people have decided there's only one correct way to build the team, and thats losing a top player not just here but on any team instead of building around your best talent. No point in trying to move them off it, it would be like trying to take a hamburger from my beagle. 

So that's why Beags was so ornery the last couple games.

No burger for you Beagle!

- Ronald The Burger Nazi MacDonald. 

10 Things Sid The Regal Beagle Is Most Likely Carrying In That Paper Bag -  BARK Post

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

I still don't think so. By all accounts, he's very happy in Van with his family.  Another move would be four.  Gut feeling is he'll make it hard for Alvin and JR not to keep 

him on board.  I wouldn't be worried keeping him on for next year.

Plus he gets to be the alpha without the responsibilities of being captain... which i think is a role that is perfect for him....  on a young talented team that is poised to be a contender for the rest of his career.

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Nope, Landeskog has proved more than Miller over the years and still is on a seven mill contract that ends when he is 36.

Is Miller worth more than Landeskog and two bottom six players til he’s 38 on a 9 mill contract? 

Landeskog has never been a top 10 scorer in the league and has never scored 100 points.  He has never even scored 90 points, even while playing on a superior team.  Imagine if Miller was playing right now with MacKinnon and Rantanen?  He might be the top scorer in the entire NHL.

Miller right now is a better player than Landeskog and is worth more on the open market.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

A new Miller contract would abolutely cripple this team. 

Chances are this team won't win the Cup once they're good enough to go on actual playoff runs. Having Miller eating up so much cap for someone who's likely to regress back to a 40pt guy would limit any chance to improve this roster. 

It's like some of you don't want the Canucks to win the Cup and just like the 2.5 hour distraction in your day. 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Podz is probably one of the guys stepping up.

Petey/Boeser gets a lot of the points Miller got this season and so on.

Bottom six is for depth and you forget about the risk of Miller becoming an anchor when he reach 35.

Yet in your previous post you said you be happy to have Miller for the next 7 years.

Boeser had a horrible year for what was expected.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Myers is a plus 19, a right hand D, and a pk minute muncher along with OEL. This after this team was down and out before the 20 game mark of this season. There is no way PA or JR are thinking of trading him, or Miller. I haven't checked the stats since BB took over this team, but, currently they are 9 games over .500. Miller is going to get paid, no doubt, but I think he's going to be a stud for a minimum of 5 or 6 years, so well worth the $ he's going to get.

Meyers has had an outstanding season.  He is very underappreciated around here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

San Jose kept Hertl and extended him.  Same with the Rangers and Zibanejad.  I can see the Canucks doing the same thing with their star player.  The Leafs are the poster child of what not to do.  No other team is dumb enough to do that.

So what is wrong with signing Miller to a similar deal as the Rangers did with Zibanejad?  Are the Rengers in cap trouble?  Are they being mismanaged?  Some are wanting to trade Miller to the Rangers, but why would they want Miller if they have Zibanejad?

So, they still paid those contracts out.  There will always be takers.  Always

5 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Chances are this team won't win the Cup once they're good enough to go on actual playoff runs. Having Miller eating up so much cap for someone who's likely to regress back to a 40pt guy would limit any chance to improve this roster. 

It's like some of you don't want the Canucks to win the Cup and just like the 2.5 hour distraction in your day. 

The last time Miller had 40 points or less in a season was when he was 22...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, BCNate said:

Meyers has had an outstanding season.  He is very underappreciated around here.

Top 4 RHD are extremely hard to acquire.  Myers would be one of the last guys I'd trade just for thr sake of making cap space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine trading a 100 point player thinking you can replace him with picks and prospects.  Imagine thinking that a team is going to give you the farm in a trade for a player that is one year removed from being a UFA.  Sometimes I just have to shake my head.  People want to plant their feet into the cement and never give an inch or look at the other side of the equation.  It's like trading Miller is an absolute with no 2nd or even 3rd option.  No dissenting opinion can be tolerated.  He doesn't fit the core, he's too old.  His contract will be an anchor and he won't be productive into his mid 30's.  

Hey, if a team wants to sell the farm I am all for trading Miller.  I can actually look at the other side.  But no one has actually made a trade proposal that actually makes sense for both teams.  The best I saw was Miller to the Rangers for Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st round pick.  Not sure I would pull the trigger on that deal, but even if I was considering it, why would the Rangers do it?  Especially now in the summer when Miller only has one year left on his deal?  And why would the Rangers want to sign Miller to an 8 year deal when they already have signed Zibanejad to that deal to be their #1 centre?

Who is saying "replace" him.  It's building and strengthening in areas that are currently weak

6 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

You don’t win cups by trading away your top scorer. You build around that.

Also, we have plenty of young skilled players.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The last time Miller had 40 points or less in a season was when he was 22...

He should be a 3rd line centre at 33, which is realistically when a cup is realistic. 

If he's putting up more than 40-50 points by then I'd be surprised

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You don’t win cups by trading away your top scorer. You build around that.

Also, we have plenty of young skilled players.

You also have to realize when a player is having a one off season. 

JT has NEVER been a 90 point player before, and I'd be willing to bet he doesn't reach that again. Sell as high as you can this offseason. 

12 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

It's like some of you don't want the Canucks to win the Cup and just like the 2.5 hour distraction in your day. I

I don't know why you'd think that kind of regression is likely after 3 years at 1.07 ppg as a Canuck.   And very few season in a pro-rated 40 pt range (even on Tampa's 3rd line)

image.png

Edited by Jayinblack

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who is saying "replace" him.  It's building and strengthening in areas that are currently weak

Like I said, I am all for trading Miller if the right deal comes along, but as of yet no one including yourself has put out a trade proposal that makes sense for both teams.  And the clock is ticking...