The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Not a chance.  i'm confident this mgmt group will make their final offer known well before the TDL and he will either sign or be traded.

(exactly how it should go if he doesn't re-sign over the summer)

Yeah sounds about right...

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Enough for us regular folks.  

But it’s never enough for sports players.  If it was, then you wouldn’t have such high paid players.  Athletes need to make money now as they won’t be making that much when they retire.

As replied to guntrix earlier. The average person grosses just over 2.2 million in their LIFETIME!
Anyone who can’t live on 21 million for the rest of their life has serious money management issues.

50 minutes ago, guntrix said:

The cap hit is proportional. Miller's not signing for anything less than $9 million. 

Miller's decline will also be noticeable over time. People have to realize 2022 Miller won't be the same as 2028-2029 Miller. But we'll be stuck with the same contract. That, essentially, is the core of the problem and why we can't be using tunnel vision when signing 7+ year contracts. 

What JT wants (and deserves) may not be what he gets.  You and others have been listing all the reasons why signing Miller would be a mistake; based on what you think the contract will

look like (+9m x 8yrs).  If that is the case, it seems that there would be few takers on a trade.

I have been combing through the teams that have the salary cap and assets to make such a

trade are there are very few (if any).  All the teams that would really want Miller, are in cap hell.  One by one, I can see a reason why each team would drop out of the Miller race.

I will be really surprised if he gets that much $ or term in his new contract; not because he's

undeserving, but due to the current market and the prolonged covid cap hit.  Of course there

my be a team out there that can find a way to cheat the salary cap (like Vegas has managed)

but that remains to be seen.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

What JT wants (and deserves) man not be what he gets.  You and others have been listing all the

reasons why signing Miller would be a mistake; based on what you think the contract will

look like (+9m x 8yrs).  If that is the case, it seems that there would be few takers on a trade.

I have been combing through the teams that have the salary cap and assets to make such a

trade are very few (if any).  All the teams that would really want Miller, are in cap hell.  One by

one, I can see a reason why each team would drop out of the Miller race.

I will be really surprised if he gets that much $ or term in his new contract; not because he's

undeserving, but due to the current market and the prolonged covid cap hit.  Of course there

may be a team out there that can find a way to cheat the salary cap (like Vegas has managed)

but that remains to be seen.

Or a team that has a key player have a long-term injury....  which happens every year

18 minutes ago, BPA said:

Enough for us regular folks.  

But it’s never enough for sports players.  If it was, then you wouldn’t have such high paid players.  Athletes need to make money now as they won’t be making that much when they retire.

If even the average player invested a portion of their earnings into some solid dividend paying investments they’d have a steady stream of income greater than any of us in here could fathom. A retirement on cruise control. I get the feeling that most hockey players are smart with their money….the Evander Kane’s are the outlier I think.

1 minute ago, Jayinblack said:

Or a team that has a key player have a long-term injury....  which happens every year

Perhaps, but do they want the 8yr term that (supposedly) comes with Miller?

Or maybe there will be a taker that will keep him for 1 season and then trade him at

deadline.  They would still have to have the ++ assets that gets the trade done. 

What a game. Didn’t catch this one but what a performance. Miller had a big night notching 5 assists. Huggy Bear with a 3 assist night. Podz had himself a night as well getting 2 goals and a assist. Chiasson continues his hot run with 2 goals. Dries, Petey and Garland all get on the board as well. Let’s go and keep this win streak going! GCG!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I also get tired of the definitive statements that are put out there like fact, but are only guesses and opinions. Doesn't make them any truer. I would imagine people with this kind of accuracy in foresight have won the lottery several times by now. Reality is: no one know's what he's signing for (or not). No one knows that he'll have a noticeable decline or not be the same. Hell, he could be better. His game uses his edges more than speed. He can very well keep improving over the next couple of years.

Miller's not signing for anything less than $9 million. 

Miller's decline will also be noticeable over time

Miller won't be the same 

So very true.  Thanks Deb.  I get so annoyed with it too.  

• Vintage 1