The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Apr. 23, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Except the reply form above your post :lol:

But I can see people defending Myers over other players from other teams. We are Canucks homers after all. How long did it take us to realize Juolevi was a bad pick 2, 3, or 4 years lol?

We don't what OJ could have been had he been healthy

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Nope!  You weren't dreaming. Obviously Podz was one of the Flames main targets for the evening. They were on him quickly all night. He hung in there though.

His progression over the last two months in particular have been nothing less then stellar.  Having Boudreau has been fantastic for him.  

Welcome aboard!!

Thanks :). I didn't get to see a replay but the live version had me thinking that it would have been called by today's standards. I thought the Flame that hit him high was intent on getting him from the get go and took some steps, but ....it is what it is. haha

11 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Nope!  You weren't dreaming. Obviously Podz was one of the Flames main targets for the evening. They were on him quickly all night. He hung in there though.

His progression over the last two months in particular have been nothing less then stellar.  Having Boudreau has been fantastic for him.  

Welcome aboard!!

Oh for god's sake, I read it initially as I WAS dreaming. Not off to a good start!:lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Myers is full value in my books. I don't think people understand how much our team relies on Myers play. 

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s not important. The allocation of cap space is the main issue though.

I think there’s plenty of examples of players that play his role that make 4-5 million. We need to save every bit of cap space we can.

Right now Myers is essentially a shutdown defensemen. His offensive game is weak. You can’t pay a shutdown guy 6 mil unless he’s an elite shutdown guy, which Myers isn’t.

You also have to ask how his game is likely to trend. It’s likely we just saw maybe his best season. If you can unload him on a team before his downfall we’ll save ourselves even more future cap problems.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

5 minutes....haha

Haha same for me though I was willing to give the kid a chance but there were already warning signs on him the next year that he wasn't really improving after he got drafted. 

Irony here is that the Juolevi pick would have been negated if Benning didn't trade for Baetrschi the year prior and used the 2nd round pick for Rasmus Andersson. Now I know people will tell me there's no guarantee Benning was going to pick Andersson. But, you have to admit, how unlucky Benning is for the 2nd round pick he gave away panning out better than what we could have imagined. :lol:

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Oh come on, we're missing our Captain and a key player. 

We certainly CAN beat "the big boppers". You only have to look as far back as Feb. 24 to see us clobber Calgary 7-1. How quickly people forget.....

People also forget that we were playing our 4th game in 6 nights after months of playing intense “must win hockey”.

I don’t care what team it is that’s gonna grind them down.

• Upvote 2

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canucks will be eliminated from playoff contention today if the Golden Knights win against the Sharks.

However…

The Canucks will make the playoffs if they win their final three, Dallas loses their final three, and Vegas loses three out of their final four!

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People also forget that we were playing our 4th game in 6 nights after months of playing intense “must win hockey”.

I don’t care what team it is that’s gonna grind them down.

Yep, if we changed nothing I would expect us to be a playoff team next year, maybe 3rd in out division.

PODz , HOGS, Petey, Hughes will be better while Horvat, Miller, Garland, Boes, Demko, Boes would probably be comparable.

BUT not a contender or even pretender. 

Must find a way to unload salary with Myers, Dickenson, Poolman, while getting Miller on a favorable contract (7.5-8M) or trade him for a studly young Dman.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We certainly CAN beat "the big boppers". You only have to look as far back as Feb. 24 to see us clobber Calgary 7-1. How quickly people forget.....

Agree here Deb. without Bo, Miller has to take all the D zone faceoffs. Everyone is out of sync trying to do things they didnt have to before.

Alfs fixation on our MVP this season has been warped for a while. Every game you could say if our goalie out worked their goalie we would have won.Demko has been lights out especially having no back up this season to relieve him a few nights.

Too many mistakes by the younger players, not enough drive and really this team just ran out of gas. It was bound to happen. Once Bo went down it changed the make up of the team. Healthy this team is competitive. One of the key things during their run of winning hockey was that we didnt lose a center to injury for a long period. Miller Bo and Petey despite his lower standard of play for a while we didnt have to adjust to a center being out. That is what changed everything.

We played well with the big teams, beating Colorado in their barn, beating the Flames 7-1 at home. Beating the laffs twice, we beat a lot of good teams this season and played well for the most part. We need depth players that out play their contracts. Every team has their core players. It is what they surround those players with that will decide their success. Miller, Petey , Horvat, Podkolzin, Garland, and Boeser if he comes back are a solid top 6. They have too heavy contracts at the back end for what we get from the players. No the players fault but they need to reduce some payroll on D while improving what they get fro the back end. We need more offense and better protection for the front of the net.

Hughes, Schenn, who has played above his contract.

OEL Myers

Burroughs and ??

the rest are up for opinion.

Please dont let Hunt ever see the ice again.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

You know whats funny? Myers is our only player to play every game this year, 22min a night and a +16
hmm

There’s no doubt he plays a big role. As he should being one of our top paid guys.

Ask yourself how many times Myers has had a clean look at the net in important situations and shot it wide?

How many times did we need a key clear and he just throws it away to the other team?

How many times in the final minutes did he get caught up ice or out of position that lead to a goal against?  

I know no defenseman is perfect but he has definitely earned the nickname chaos giraffe. In key moments instead of bringing a calming presence he’s the one running round out of position and losing the puck. If the goal is to be a playoff team those kinds of plays will lose series for you.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It would be interesting to know how many are playing sick, too.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

All I care now is Edmonton,  Toronto, or Calgary not winning the Cup 

11 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Add Toronto on that list please 

They've been planning the parade route for almost a decade.......https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/maple-leafs-ceo-literally-planned-stanley-cup-parade-135908765.html.           https://editorinleaf.com/2021/07/16/parade-toronto-maple-leafs-ideas/

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

It would be interesting to know how many are playing sick, too.

We honestly had so much adversity thrown at us this season Im surprised we were in it for as long as we were, seriously.

Like no team had as much s@$t thrown at it this season (other than the Habs), and they just kept rolling. 

As much as it sucks right now, I think this group grew a huge amount as a team. I don’t think there’s anything they can’t get through now.

Which is why I hope management doesn’t go too crazy with moves this offseason. A couple smart trades and signings is all they need. This core has shown they know how to win.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, J-23 said:

Hard re-took around Petey, Hughes, Bo, Demko and Podz. Throw in Garland as well. This is Pettersson’s team. Move BB. Move Miller out for a Schneider++ or a Lysel++. Love both of these guys but it’s time to move on, especially from BB. Get rid of Myers ffs. Something also has to happen with with Dickinson and Poolman.

Management has a lot of work to do and I’m not too optimistic about the off-season tbh. Don’t want a mediocre team that relies on Demko almost every game, but likely what we will get next season…

Agree with most of your recommendations .    Not sure if Garland will be kept, as we need to get bigger but he certainly can skate, stickhandle and draws penalties - aside from scoring.  So he's a maybe.

Also, although Bo is one of our top players, don't be surprised if JR trades him if the mgmt group is truly intent on changing the leadership & culture of this team.  That would not surprise me.  Everyone else is up for review and possible trade.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why people think Myers would be hard to move.  He's a workhorse, can play in all situations, has size, plays physical, can skate and his salary isn't nearly as bad as people think.

They'd have a tough time replacing him for cheaper

We can beg to differ, but your points do have some validity....I just think his lateral/pivot isn't great, definitely far from his Calder days (or even since his WPG stint), and when pressured his decision making can be a real head scratcher....and for $6M his 1g and terrible shot ain't cutting it....again, just my opinion cheers.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

We can beg to differ, but your points do have some validity....I just think his lateral/pivot isn't great, definitely far from his Calder days (or even since his WPG stint), and when pressured his decision making can be a real head scratcher....and for $6M his 1g and terrible shot ain't cutting it....again, just my opinion cheers.

At this point even if we didn’t save money on a replacement I think a D man with different skill sets is needed.

At 6 million we need someone with really good defensive numbers or another D man that can move the puck up the ice and create offense.

Having a D man that isn’t really good at either element isn’t gonna cut it.

• Cheers 1