The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Seattle Kraken at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 26, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Salacious Crumb said:

No love for Klimovich?

For sure Klimovich helps too but I believe he will be in Abby one more year before joining the big club. But who knows, maybe a strong camp in the fall will find his way up the depth chart. Regardless, it’ll be nice to have some countrymen comrades for these kids to get accustomed to the North American ice and way of life here. Something that was learned from Trymkin and not having anyone to lean on for guidance/advice. Very excited to see Klimovich make his debut whenever that may be.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

here's the thing, these are the best officials in the world, what does that tell you?  Officiating a game as fast and fluid as hockey is almost impossible to do with any consistency.  I'd like to know what solution the people who incessantly whine about refs have.  There are, literally, no officials on the planet better than the ones they have in the NHL.........so if there's no better personnel choices, what's the solution?

Here's the bigger problem.  Go to a BCHL game and the refs will at least conduct themselves appropriately.  Same with the WHL.  We need to go back to one ref and implement a veto list for known problem officials.  There is no excuse for the league continuing to assign vermin like Sutherland to our games.  The problem is that the management of the league doesn't care about the integrity of the sport.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I think you just bought into what some of us are saying.

If you don't feel bias is shown, that's an opinion that some don't personally share. Not right or wrong. You're going out of your way to "prove" something here but I'm not sure what it is. The reffing has been fairly atrocious....no, not just for our team but of course it's more glaring to us so we're going to comment on our observations. It's not a crime to not fully support the refs because they're somehow the cream of the crop. Then ref like it.

I can't count the number of times I've seen slashes and slewfoots in the past handful of games that should have been called but weren't. Yet a phantom reach in is a hook, a good solid check at the boards is interference. They don't even know what to call anymore and it's like a random wheel of "what is this called?".

More than this, it's also about how calls are timed. Haphazard and willy nilly. Not really cream of the crop.

I'm over it, as I always am. But it's ok not to stroke the ref's egos or pretend they're somehow above criticism. There's a group of cool kids who like to point out how uncool it is to "blame the refs". It's a go to for some to dismiss everything by immediately slotting it in to a homer, blind, don't know the game category. Poopoo'ing it as "here we go again" (but that same token applies).

Some of these hits and misses are obvious, even to the untrained, never played before eye. You only have to know the rules to notice when things aren't really lining up.

I'm still curious as to what JT's penalty was for...anyone? I am not 100% and somehow missed that.

but some on this board rarely, if ever, mention the ones that go uncalled against Vancouver

While I get there are people that are "extreme homers" - when they post without an objective viewpoint they come across like petulant children, and even though they may have a great deal of intellect and knowledge of the game, I find they end up on my ignore list when possible.

9 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Dan Klim doesn’t have nearly the cachet of Podz. Yet.

Speaking of Podz, I wouldn’t be at all shocked if he doesn’t end up going to Abby for the playoffs. I think when they “papered” him down to the NHL so he could be eligible he was still kinda finding his footing in the NHL. Well, since then he has found it big time. Would not be shocked if he made it known he’d rather shut things down for the year….it already being the longest grind he’s ever experienced as a hockey professional..and according to @RomanP, who knows stuff, Podz is going back to Russia in the off season, whereas Dan Klim isn’t going back to Belarus. I don’t think management would force him to play in Abby if he didn’t want to. But the kid loves hockey so much maybe he’s dying to play some more. People tend to speak of him playing in Abby like its a foregone conclusion. Hopefully we will get some clarification soon. I’d love to see Podz play in Abby if indeed he does.

Is anyone else wondering how or if the Russian invasion of Ukraine will affect Podkolzin?  Maybe its a non factor.  But it must be difficult for Russian players who have relatives and friends back home.  Podz gets the Western news now for a year, and I'm sure can understand the reality of Putin's aggression. I just wonder if he will have to deal with relatives back home are brainwashed by State TV.  And how much a young man like that will be affected by the confusion in his own circle back home.  How much he has to button his lip. Or heck.....he might be a Putin supporter, who knows? 

If the war escalates through the Summer into training camp,, especially if NATO gets more and more involved, I also wonder if embargoes on Russian flights in and out of their country may have an effect as well.

But all of this sure doesn't help a young rookie, trying to make a living across the pond, have to deal with this extra complication, even psychologically.  Thanks Putin you %$#$%&$  POS.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I still say we’d have far better reffing if we replaced all NHL officials with lower league ones. The current crop has been immersed in the “keep games close” idea instead of the proper “call games fairly regardless of score or team” way to officiate. I don’t care about a missed or bad call, it happens, it’s always been and always will be a part of hockey, but what I have a problem with is continuous bad or missed calls. If we’re committing more infractions then our opponents we deserve to have more penalties called against us. The opposite should also be true. I don’t think that’s unreasonable to ask out of the people deciding what penalties to call.

Yep, there's definitely a comfort in knowing your job's secure because there's no one to replace you.

I don't believe that because someone's been hired as the top tier it guarantees anything. I don't buy that for a second...I've seen some piss poor examples of cream of the crop employees who don't deliver at that level. There are a lot of factors that can come into play....you just look at Burrow's experience to see how "top level refs" can sink low like the average Joe. 

It's having a consistent standard and applying it. Not evening out or keeping score (they're refs, we have scorekeepers). Even the chatting with players and pats on the bum is getting a little much...get on with it. Tkachuk had FAR too long of a whine session involving the ref that should have been cut off...the game's being delayed at that point. I won't ever be convinced that the power assigned to refs can't go to their heads like anyone else. 

Whining is used for emphasis but to be totally pro ref is a little naive (and suspect).

Apropos of nothing, but I was reading the comments section from a McIntyre article after the game and saw something that made me laugh....

The guy was complaining about a certain Canucks' player, whose name I won't mention: "I was watching him all night.....he was invisible!"

Kevin Hart Wtf GIF - Kevin Hart Wtf What The Fuck - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Here's the bigger problem.  Go to a BCHL game and the refs will at least conduct themselves appropriately.  Same with the WHL.  We need to go back to one ref and implement a veto list for known problem officials.  There is no excuse for the league continuing to assign vermin like Sutherland to our games.  The problem is that the management of the league doesn't care about the integrity of the sport.

I'd actually love to see them go back to one ref and three officials, but I suspect that would make you more upset because there would be far more missed calls than there is now.  For me, the game is horribly over officiated and I can't stand watching games decided by special teams.......there's nothing more boring to watch than endless powerplays

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I still say we’d have far better reffing if we replaced all NHL officials with lower league ones. The current crop has been immersed in the “keep games close” idea instead of the proper “call games fairly regardless of score or team” way to officiate. I don’t care about a missed or bad call, it happens, it’s always been and always will be a part of hockey, but what I have a problem with is continuous bad or missed calls. If we’re committing more infractions then our opponents we deserve to have more penalties called against us. The opposite should also be true. I don’t think that’s unreasonable to ask out of the people deciding what penalties to call.

how in the world do you figure that?  The NHL has the absolute best officials in the world for hockey, why would you think less qualified is "better"?

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd actually love to see them go back to one ref and three officials, but I suspect that would make you more upset because there would be far more missed calls than there is now.  For me, the game is horribly over officiated and I can't stand watching games decided by special teams.......there's nothing more boring to watch than endless powerplays

I don't have a problem with missed calls as long as the one ref isn't openly rigging the game.  When I'm checking the officials before I place a bet, that's a sign that the league has a huge problem on their hands.  Right now there seems to be zero recourse against the corruption.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I don't have a problem with missed calls as long as the one ref isn't openly rigging the game.  When I'm checking the officials before I place a bet, that's a sign that the league has a huge problem on their hands.  Right now there seems to be zero recourse against the corruption.

no one is rigging anything

37 minutes ago, rychicken said:

but some on this board rarely, if ever, mention the ones that go uncalled against Vancouver

While I get there are people that are "extreme homers" - when they post without an objective viewpoint they come across like petulant children, and even though they may have a great deal of intellect and knowledge of the game, I find they end up on my ignore list when possible.

I don’t know if this was directed towards me, but I was actually arguing the opposite: that Vancouver should have had more penalties called against them in the game against Seattle if the reffing was consistent. Canucks had trips, hooks and interference plays at the same frequency of prior game minutes, we took out their goalie for crying out loud, but the refs decided to put away the whistle suddenly.

Heres what I want:

Either don’t call the soft calls they did earlier (we deserved every single tripping penalty called) or continue making calls against us into the 3rd period. If they did that it would just be a biased or off game, which happens to every team. We got the benefit of some games like that too, fully admit that! I didn’t like it then either.

Just don’t decide to officiate the game differently part way through the game or from team to team. Again I don’t see that as an unreasonable ask of the people making calls. Also someone who disagrees with your opinion isn’t a petulant child, perhaps consider it might actually be your view of someone you disagree with that’s petulantly childish.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

how in the world do you figure that?  The NHL has the absolute best officials in the world for hockey, why would you think less qualified is "better"?

What exactly makes them the best officials in the world? Is there any evidence? Or is it just an assumption that the NHL only hires the best because it’s the top league? Because if it’s the latter then there’s a plethora of examples to choose from of top companies and organizations not hiring the best people. Heck at your job right now I’d bet there’s at least 1 person who’s higher ranked then you that’s a far worse employee then you are. People aren’t always hired or promoted based on capability or work ethic.

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

What exactly makes them the best officials in the world? Is there any evidence? Or is it just an assumption that the NHL only hires the best because it’s the top league? Because if it’s the latter then there’s a plethora of examples to choose from of top companies and organizations not hiring the best people. Heck at your job right now I’d bet there’s at least 1 person who’s higher ranked then you that’s a far worse employee then you are. People aren’t always hired or promoted based on capability or work ethic.

are NHL players the best in the world?  How do you know that?

30 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Is anyone else wondering how or if the Russian invasion of Ukraine will affect Podkolzin?  Maybe its a non factor.  But it must be difficult for Russian players who have relatives and friends back home.  Podz gets the Western news now for a year, and I'm sure can understand the reality of Putin's aggression. I just wonder if he will have to deal with relatives back home are brainwashed by State TV.  And how much a young man like that will be affected by the confusion in his own circle back home.  How much he has to button his lip. Or heck.....he might be a Putin supporter, who knows? 

If the war escalates through the Summer into training camp,, especially if NATO gets more and more involved, I also wonder if embargoes on Russian flights in and out of their country may have an effect as well.

But all of this sure doesn't help a young rookie, trying to make a living across the pond, have to deal with this extra complication, even psychologically.  Thanks Putin you %$#$%&$  POS.

Hockey wise, nux will need to make sure he doesn't get stuck abroad before next season. Can understand if he wants to go home and see his family. But these are different times. 

He's gonna get time in Abby first, he should be good in playoffs. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I’m not the conspiratorial type, at all, but man oh man did the refs sure change their calls after Vancouver was eliminated from playoff contention. I recorded the game to watch after work and rewound to the point the new guy announcer said so during the game.

Up until 8:28 pm (approx time of Vegas/Dallas going into OT) or approx 12:30 into the 2nd period these were the number of penalties called:

VAN: 7

SEA: 2

After Canucks were officially eliminated these were the number of penalties called:

VAN: 1 last penalty called at 15:12 into the 2nd period against Schenn for tripping

SEA: 1

Dont get me wrong, I’m glad we won the game, but it sure seems the refs threw everything at the Canucks to keep Seattle in the game, which had they won also would have resulted in Vancouver’s elimination.

It’s far more concerning to me that the whistle went away exactly after that point then had the refs continued making soft calls on the Canucks, at least then you can say they had an off or biased game. With how it went in the timing of the drastic change it makes me even more suspicious.

You did watch the game right? Sure there were soft calls, but in no way more biased against us. It was just one of those games where we had a few extra accidental tripping calls etc. Even BB said so after the game (i.e. that all Canucks penalites were warranted).