The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Seattle Kraken at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 26, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Muttley said:

You're doing enough speculating for everyone :).  Massively I might add. 

just like everyone else with their below market low terms but it fits ur narrative so therefore i'm making massive speculation while others are throwing reasonable suggestions.

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

But you can't go by the last 3 years, they weren't with the Canucks.  New team makes a big difference.  Especially since Arizona isn't very good.

sure but this year's OEL isn't night and day different from his Arizona days.. if anything his production dropped off a cliff albeit he doesn't get the PP1 time but it's only 5 less pp points than last year

Edited by wai_lai416

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

sure but this year's OEL isn't night and day different from his Arizona days.. if anything his production dropped off a cliff albeit he doesn't get the PP1 time

He's played much better defensively than he did with Arizona.  He was pretty much our shutdown D with Myers all season.  If we needed to, couldn't we also just buyout OEL's contract?  I heard it wasn't buyout proof.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those hundreds of players out of the league did not get 100 points in a single year. They were not top 10 in scoring. 

You are trying to compare an average NHL player’s career with a guy who is a borderline superstar right now. 

Those examples I gave are for elite top end superstar players. Miller is a top 10 player in the NHL right now. Those players don’t just fall off a cliff production wise at 30 years old. 

And you are trying to compare generational talents, first overall multi time mvp candidates to a guy who has had a career year.  If I am laying down big money for long-term I am hedging my bets on the former.  Miller is a top 10 scorer in the league this year, he isn’t even the top player on a non-playoff team, Demko is. 
If I was a GM I would not trade Demko, Petterson or Hughes for him straight up even if ages were similar. Calling him a top 10 player in the league is homerism and ignores the big flaws in his game. 
He is a very good player and I am glad he is with us and had a career year but too many players get contracts based on a career year, not their body of work. The last one we signed after a career 30+ goal season  went great for us (Out of respect I will not use his name).

I have no problem giving JTM for big money for 3-4 seasons. Past that is lunacy and when combined with OEL’s massive boat anchor contract would weigh this team down worse than even Benning’s worst years. 

• Like 3

Man looking at our overtime record kills me. 

We are 7-11 for OT and shootout

Dallas is 15-6

Vegas is 9-8

Nashville is 9-7

LA is 9-10

I think our guys played way too loosy goosy in OT like securing a pt was good enough. 

A good OT record would have given us a solid chance and there's really no reason for our record to be so bad with the talent in the lineup. 

Even play keep away for 5 min and go to shootout with Petey, Bo, Brock Millsy 

I hope they realize how valuable those extra points were for next season

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Man looking at our overtime record kills me. 

We are 7-11 for OT and shootout

Dallas is 15-6

Vegas is 9-8

Nashville is 9-7

LA is 9-10

I think our guys played way too loosy goosy in OT like securing a pt was good enough. 

A good OT record would have given us a solid chance and there's really no reason for our record to be so bad with the talent in the lineup. 

Even play keep away for 5 min and go to shootout with Petey, Bo, Brock Millsy 

I hope they realize how valuable those extra points were for next season

Boudreau mentioned in his presser after one OT loss that our guys were getting trapped on the wrong side of the puck.  A training camp with BB coaching should clean up what he wants.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boudreau mentioned in his presser after one OT loss that our guys were getting trapped on the wrong side of the puck.  A training camp with BB coaching should clean up what he wants.  

Totally. 

I'm baffled at how this team was coached prior to BB. 

When JV came into the league, I saw him pursue the puck taking wrong angles and routes quite frequently. 

Other guys like Petey came in already making the right plays and taking the correct routes. 

I wonder how much coaching actually took place.

It seemed Travis' motto was play them if they are ready and sit them if they are not. There wasn't much coaching or development otherwise. 

Same with Hughes. TG would never have thought to put him on the pk. 

The guy is too old school and one dimensional in his coaching. 

Now if our guys make the same mistakes in OT next year, maybe the players are just not bright but all the improvements we've seen this year makes me think these guys are coachable. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland's skating mobility impressed in the more open ice, can't understand why Boudreau preferred Brock in OT.

A full BB training camp will be the key for next year success.

Would pay good money to watch.

Hope he brings 'em in early.

It seemed Travis' motto was play them if they are ready and sit them if they are not. There wasn't much coaching or development otherwise. 

Well, other than bag-skating a young player with a known injury history, and just recovering from covid.

Shameful and embarrassing.

Old-school ignorance.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol I thought I just saw someone compare Miller to Ovechkin, Kane, and Stamkos :picard: And to t op it off i also thoght I saw he was supposed to top this season at 32 years of age. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D::D It's delusional time :frantic:

Boudreau is coming back.  650 saying it’s close to done and should be announced by Monday.

That means we are coming back with the same team.

So do we sign Miller this summer to a huge deal, or play it out until he’s a UFA July 2023?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boudreau is coming back.  650 saying it’s close to done and should be announced by Monday.

So do we sign Miller this summer to a huge deal, or play it out until he’s a UFA July 2023?

He's our Kane/Stamkoss, that's all what matters.

If Bo and Petey continue their end of season form, Miller might put up Ovechkin-like points.

He'll deserve a big-pay-day last contract, just can't be from us, cap-wise.

But we can enjoy having his leadership mentoring, for one more year.

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

how do you know miller is aging nicely? he's suppose to be hitting his prime now which he is.. but remains to be seen whether he hit the plateau or still have couple years to go. we won't know if miller aged nicely or not till he's 32 33.. he may very well age nicely or he may not age nicely at all.. if the canucks didn't already have another bad contract in OEL sure they can probably take the risk on miller even if he declines.. but we already have 1 anchor contract.. we simply don't have the capability to take on 2 big contract and have them not perform to their cap hit.. OEL right now probably would cost you a 1st + 50% retained to even move which is not worth it. if u can magically rid OEL and not retain anything and rebuild your defense? by all means sign miller.. we can eat one of those contracts.. but the risk of 2 of them and want to still remain competitive in this ultra tight league? prolly ain't happening

Miller is not Loui. He has drive, passion, and he works his tail off. Outside of some major injury I don't see him falling off a cliff numbers wise. Management will talk with his agent in the summer. Talk extension and see where it goes. Anything else is guesswork. Let's let the people in charge do their job. 

• Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

Garland's skating mobility impressed in the more open ice, can't understand why Boudreau preferred Brock in OT.

A full BB training camp will be the key for next year success.

Would pay good money to watch.

Hope he brings 'em in early.

Who handles the special teams anyways? Is it Walker? Is it King? Because there's been some head scratchers on the PP/PK/ and especially OT. 

6 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

If games were called properly players would know what a penalty was at all times of the game and all times of the season. I can't stand watching games decided by refs putting their whistles in their pockets and not calling anything or using make up calls to even up the penalties. If refs don't want to be responsible for deciding the outcome of a game then they should call games according to the rulebook.

do you realize what hockey would look like if there were no "game management"?  It would be unwatchable

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ok let's looks at Jonathan Toews as a Miller comparable. He had a career high in points at age 31, at 81. His point totals have been dropping since. But it is that due to age catching up to him? Or the team falling apart around him? 

Probably a bit of both.

BUT he’s paid that big $$$ cuz he helped them win a couple of cups.  What would he be paid if CHI didn’t win and were consistently missing the playoffs?  I’d wager far lower than what he’s currently making.  Looking at his stats, I’d say it be in the $7M range and not $10.5M.

7 hours ago, Viper007 said:

We shouldn't jump to conclusions on saying it's an anchor contract until it actually becomes an anchor.  Until it happens, let's just see how it plays out.  1st season, so far so good, played a little better than I thought he would, so definitely not an anchor contract so far.

OEL has quietly put together a very nice ending to the season. It takes a lot of players up to a year to acclimate to a new team. He's been a stud lately I'm not seeing an anchor contract. 29 points while not playing on the PP much is pretty damn good for an off year. @wai_lai416 He's not at all that bad or as unmovable as you think.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I would play it out and either re-sign him next year or trade him at deadline if he hasn't signed by then. 

Seems dumb to sign him when he's had his best year of his career and could potentially take a dip next year. 

I mean look at Brock... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Who handles the special teams anyways? Is it Walker? Is it King? Because there's been some head scratchers on the PP/PK/ and especially OT. 

Walker got sick there for a while, and we hit a losing phase.

The improvement to PP/PK was noticeable upon his recovery.

Perhaps its simply coincidence ..... 

• Cheers 1