The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] full dumperoo

[proposal] full dumperoo   

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It'd be like dominoes, once one star goes, you keep dealing...

1-Van: Quinn H & Myers   NJ Devs: #2 OA pick, Mercer, Severson, Bahl

2 & 3- Then would dangle Bo & Millsy out east. Perhaps NYR, Bos, or OTT would bite. You prob net 6 more youth/top picks(varied assets) there, between the 2 players.

4- Boeser or Garland for a young D

5- Bring back Big Nik the Siberian Bear. Also sign that Kuzmenko bloke

Build the fwds around EP40 & Podz.

Tbh, wouldn't mind watching a young team grow.. with size, speed, extra picks & cap space.

On defence: You roll with OEL for about 3 more seasons. Then retain & trade, or buy out..whatever. Commit many high picks in the coming yrs to the blueline.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It'd be like dominoes, once one star goes, you keep dealing...

1-Van: Quinn H & Myers   NJ Devs: #2 OA pick, Mercer, Severson, Bahl

2 & 3- Then would dangle Bo & Millsy out east. Perhaps NYR, Bos, or OTT would bite. You prob net 6 more youth/top picks(varied assets) there, between the 2 players.

4- Boeser or Garland for a young D

5- Bring back Big Nik the Siberian Bear. Also sign that Kuzmenko bloke

Build the fwds around EP40 & Podz.

Tbh, wouldn't mind watching a young team grow.. with size, speed, extra picks & cap space.

On defence: You roll with OEL for about 3 more seasons. Then retain & trade, or buy out..whatever. Commit many high picks in the coming yrs to the blueline.

I would definitely do the first maybe with a little swap of players from NJ though. #2 OA, Severson, Sharangovich & Foote.

• Vintage 1

Even if I thought we could start afresh AND DEFINITELY become better for it, I just don't have the stomach to watch us suck any longer...

We need something, fast, but blowing it all up would add say another 6 years to become really relevant again.

And with our lotto luck we would draft no higher than third...

Nah a few tweaks here and there, and lets see where we end.

Some bigger stronger 3rd/4th liners and a better RHD, and we should be on the road to better times...

If that fails, then by all means consider it, cause BO and EP will seek new adventures if we have to blow it up again, and Demko/Hughes will either be on higher contracts or gone as well...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Even if I thought we could start afresh AND DEFINITELY become better for it, I just don't have the stomach to watch us suck any longer...

We need something, fast, but blowing it all up would add say another 6 years to become really relevant again.

And with our lotto luck we would draft no higher than third...

Nah a few tweaks here and there, and lets see where we end.

Some bigger stronger 3rd/4th liners and a better RHD, and we should be on the road to better times...

If that fails, then by all means consider it, cause BO and EP will seek new adventures if we have to blow it up again, and Demko/Hughes will either be on higher contracts or gone as well...

We’ve been bad for the Benning years.  That’s 8.  We missed the playoffs with several guys (Miller, Bo, Hughes and more) having career years.  

Why should we follow this same course?  

This should be a slow Kaboom.

This summer trade Miller, Garland, and Demko for picks and prospects.  (Get as many 2023 picks as possible, and teams’ top prospects)

Next year trade Hughes, Bo (TDL for Bo) for huge returns.

The following year trade Myers (TDL) 

Draft High 4 years in a row and have a lot of picks in rounds 1,2,3.

Keep Petey.  If he doesn’t like the direction, then move him too. 

The key to the Kaboom is to have a slow burn.  Do it gradually over three years to maximize return on all guys and spread out the picks across three to four drafts.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

We’ve been bad for the Benning years.  That’s 8.  We missed the playoffs with several guys (Miller, Bo, Hughes and more) having career years.  

Why should we follow this same course?  

This should be a slow Kaboom.

This summer trade Miller, Garland, and Demko for picks and prospects.  (Get as many 2023 picks as possible, and teams’ top prospects)

Next year trade Hughes, Bo (TDL for Bo) for huge returns.

The following year trade Myers (TDL) 

Draft High 4 years in a row and have a lot of picks in rounds 1,2,3.

Keep Petey.  If he doesn’t like the direction, then move him too. 

The key to the Kaboom is to have a slow burn.  Do it gradually over three years to maximize return on all guys and spread out the picks across three to four drafts.  

Sorry Alf, but I am totally against this...

Its all great and super if we get to pick in the top 3, but how likely is this?

Its not all picks that glitters.. JV and OJ springs to mind, and sell every thing to get a bunch of garbage or average players at best back in 2-5 years would not be something, I'd look forward to.

What's the point of building through the draft, if we are just gonna ship the whole lot out and start a fresh. If the players, we hope will be our star players, were older, then yes maybe, but they aren't they are on good contracts growing into their primes...

Are you for another 3-6 years at least without any play offs? All the talk about we'll get this and that... Think the Miller case showed its a little harder than that. 

Finally, I may be wrong, but I think you'll find it hard to sell seats at Rodgers, if they start to dump all the stars... Most fans are fickle, and they want to see decent hockey.. Not a bunch of LE's, Beagles and Roussels on the ice for the next 3-4 years until the picks starts to mature... Maybe....

• Upvote 1

@JM_

This is definitely a plan from Melmac, and it's chances of being successful are like................Alf not drinking.............not a chance!

But....here I go!

Hughes to New Jersey for Severson, and 2022-1st (2nd OA)

Garland to LA for Faber and 2022-1st (19th OA)

Pettersson to Arizona for Chychrun, 2022-1st (3rd OA) 

Miller to Columbus for Kent Johnson and 2022-1st (6th OA)

Hogklander to Arizona for Lawson Crouse

Draft..................2022-1st (2nd OA) Juraj Slafkovsky LW

Draft..................2022-1st (3rd OA) Simon Nemec RHD

Draft..................2022-1st (6th OA) Cutter Gauthier (LW)

Draft..................2022-1st (15th OA) Pavel Mintykov LHD

Draft..................2022-1st (19th OA) Marco Kasper C

UFA signing.............Max Domi LW/C

UFA signing.............Troy Sketcher RHD

2022-2023 Roster

Pearson...............Horvat............Boeser                     

Slafkovsky..........Johnson..........Podkolzin                   

Crouse..................Domi.............Lockwood                 

Highmore..........Lammikko.........Dickenson                  

Chaisson                                      Total 34 Million (Approx.)

Chychrun................ Severson              

OEL.....................Nemec                  

Rathbone.................Myers                   

Sketcher                                       Total 27 Million (Approx.)

Demko

Martin                                           Total 6 Million  (Approx.)                                  Team Cap...........67 Million (Approx.)

Players Acquired and not playing..............

Faber (RHD) ranked 40 best player not playing in the NHL

Cutter Gauthier plays a tough north south game.......think Stone 

Mintykov (LHD) offensive Defenseman who takes over from OEL in a couple of years

Marco Kasper (C) Plays alot like Horvat

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Sorry Alf, but I am totally against this...

Its all great and super if we get to pick in the top 3, but how likely is this?

Are you for another 3-6 years at least without any play offs? All the talk about we'll get this and that... Think the Miller case showed its a little harder than that. 

You illegal aliens raise some interesting points.

Alf-man: Slow kaboom vs a big, dramatic sell-off. How would we categorize what Ottawa did? I'd argue you could land a combo of picks or skaters at various stages of development. By being BAAAaaaaad, Mtl(for example) just received a nice variety of younger assets at the TDL.

BECAUSE they were willing to limbo lower than JB ever went, their end-product may well turn out more competitive than whatever we build.

The correct strategy(wayy back in the day) would've been to sell off the twins back around 2013, 2014ish. Sink lower to bounce back higher.

& 007, can only speak for myself, but would say fans can get strongly behind a thorough, comprehensive rebuild, provided there's a sensible, consistent & smartly timed approach. Should we keep rolling out what we have(vets too) injuries could hit early, & we're back here(missing PO's) but a yr or two older, wiser & pissier!

There's no option to go back(as they say: no do-overs)..it's basically whether to get younger/cheaper, or not?

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@JM_

This is definitely a plan from Melmac, and it's chances of being successful are like................Alf not drinking.............not a chance!

But....here I go!

2022-2023 Roster

Demko

Martin                                           Total 6 Million  (Approx.)                                  Team Cap...........67 Million (Approx.)

Mintykov (LHD) offensive Defenseman who takes over from OEL in a couple of years

now that is one big dumperoo. 

But its fascinating to play the game of rolling the dice like this. Last time we drafted 2nd and 3rd it ended up in cup final. 

I wonder what the fan base would do if JR actually did all of this? I suspect people would be pretty happy with the lineup you've created here. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@JM_

But....here I go!

2022-2023 Roster

Demko

Now that's what Alf calls serious GMing!  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You illegal aliens raise some interesting points.

Alf-man: Slow kaboom vs a big, dramatic sell-off. How would we categorize what Ottawa did? I'd argue you could land a combo of picks or skaters at various stages of development. By being BAAAaaaaad, Mtl(for example) just received a nice variety of younger assets at the TDL.

BECAUSE they were willing to limbo lower than JB ever went, their end-product may well turn out more competitive than whatever we build.

The correct strategy(wayy back in the day) would've been to sell off the twins back around 2013, 2014ish. Sink lower to bounce back higher.

& 007, can only speak for myself, but would say fans can get strongly behind a thorough, comprehensive rebuild, provided there's a sensible, consistent & smartly timed approach. Should we keep rolling out what we have(vets too) injuries could hit early, & we're back here(missing PO's) but a yr or two older, wiser & pissier!

There's no option to go back(as they say: no do-overs)..it's basically whether to get younger/cheaper, or not?

Yeah maybe you're Tomodachi...

I just feel, we've wasted 3-4 years if this is the way forward. We may have to, if this setup fails, but there is no guarantee that the picks we get will turn into something special... We are going to drift around another 3-5 years, before we can see, if we are going to get better or not.... 

Just fear we are going to end up like Sens, Oilers of old, Florida etc... 

The time to purge, if we went down that road, were exactly as you said in 2013-2014 ish... with a total tear down. 8 years have passed, and while we can quickly agree on we have some missing pieces, I do believe we have good building blocks as well... I think the fans deserve to see, if these players are able to mount a challenge.

I don't fancy looking at another 3-5 years before we are getting in to the play offs again.... (but if we have to, we have to...)

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@JM_

But....here I go!

2022-2023 Roster

Demko

Well that is a proper turnaround Jan... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah maybe you're Tomodachi...

I just feel, we've wasted 3-4 years if this is the way forward. We may have to, if this setup fails, but there is no guarantee that the picks we get will turn into something special... We are going to drift around another 3-5 years, before we can see, if we are going to get better or not.... 

Just fear we are going to end up like Sens, Oilers of old, Florida etc... 

The time to purge, if we went down that road, were exactly as you said in 2013-2014 ish... with a total tear down. 8 years have passed, and while we can quickly agree on we have some missing pieces, I do believe we have good building blocks as well... I think the fans deserve to see, if these players are able to mount a challenge.

I don't fancy looking at another 3-5 years before we are getting in to the play offs again.... (but if we have to, we have to...)

Without getting too long-winded, I feel turnarounds can be executed more swiftly in this cap era. & it can be very exciting, watching dynamic young groups progress & develop chemistry.

There's no perfect parallel/comparison, but I see selling off a few nice pieces in the context of say, a '98 Linden(to Isles) type deal. It's painful to send off fan-favs, but benefits to a franchise can(sometimes) follow, even for decades. What if 2 or 3 of these sorta' deals were executed in short order?

- How do the guys remaining feel?

- Can you get 3 or 4 rivals bidding in each case?

- OR, do you start resembling a dilapidated, roadside flea market?

- How many other GM's are attempting a similar ploy(& that effect upon buyers/sellers)

JM's lighthearted title aside, would say going down this(somewhat treacherous) path, is an option that should be weighed.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Without getting too long-winded, I feel turnarounds can be executed more swiftly in this cap era. & it can be very exciting, watching dynamic young groups progress & develop chemistry.

There's no perfect parallel/comparison, but I see selling off a few nice pieces in the context of say, a '98 Linden(to Isles) type deal. It's painful to send off fan-favs, but benefits to a franchise can(sometimes) follow, even for decades. What if 2 or 3 of these sorta' deals were executed in short order?

- How do the guys remaining feel?

- Can you get 3 or 4 rivals bidding in each case?

- OR, do you start resembling a dilapidated, roadside flea market?

- How many other GM's are attempting a similar ploy(& that effect upon buyers/sellers)

JM's lighthearted title aside, would say going down this(somewhat treacherous) path, is an option that should be weighed.

If JR and Allvin decides, that, what we have, will never have a chance of a making a proper challenge, then yes a tear down should be considered.

And I have zero doubt, that trades may come flying left, right and centre, once they have made up their mind, what is needed. 

I'd take stripping things over spinning our wheels in mediocrity. I see Hughes, Pettersson, Podz, and Demko as the only untouchables. I'd prefer to keep Horvat. I don't see us contending sooner than later, so if I had to choose between a reset and trying to chase a cup in the near future I'd take the reset. 

I'd be looking at an extension on Pettersson sooner than later though. I really believe we could build something special if we're patient and play the long game over trying to go for it during the brief period of whatever's left of Miller's prime. 

• Cheers 2

@JM_

So, here is the flip side, Jimmy...................

Are we that far away? I mean we had the 11 best record in the last 60 games

So, lets flip Boeser and spend our next 2 firsts on young 22/23 year old players and let's get going........................

Boeser (RW) for Durzi (RHD)

2022-1st (15 OA) for another young Mayfield plus a 2nd (Noah Warren)

No step back, and have fixed our RHD

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@JM_

So, here is the flip side, Jimmy...................

Are we that far away? I mean we had the 11 best record in the last 60 games

So, lets flip Boeser and spend our next 2 firsts on young 22/23 year old players and let's get going........................

Boeser (RW) for Durzi (RHD)

2022-1st (15 OA) for another young Mayfield plus a 2nd (Noah Warren)

No step back, and have fixed our RHD

I'm with you on this one. I do think this core is close to being competitive, I think we lack some size too along with fixing some d issues. Just look at this 1st round, teams are far closer in talent than ever before. I really like Boeser, probably as much for his personality as anything else, but I don't think he's a "core" guy that can't be replaced. 

This thread is just a thought bubble on the full nuke option, which might be preferable to just trading enough talent to stay middle-meh for years. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm with you on this one. I do think this core is close to being competitive, I think we lack some size too along with fixing some d issues. Just look at this 1st round, teams are far closer in talent than ever before. I really like Boeser, probably as much for his personality as anything else, but I don't think he's a "core" guy that can't be replaced. 

This thread is just a thought bubble on the full nuke option, which might be preferable to just trading enough talent to stay middle-meh for years. 

Just a couple of thoughts.................

#1...you title conjures up many thoughts.............lol

#2...I think LA is our answer, whether it is Durzi or not....they have young RHD, all of which can not stay....Clarke,(19) Durz(23)i, Spence(21), Faber(19), Grans(20)...........that is not including Doughty ( 5 more years) , Roy (27 years old), Walker (27 years old) or Strand (25 years old) or UFA  Stecher(28)

Ultimately, LA only has spots for 2 of its 5 prospects, 1 if you include Durzi as a roster player that he is.....I would also imagine Clarke is up in a year, so even if they carry 4, that is still 2prospects that are available, so something has to give there eventually.........within a year, IMO

My understanding is they really like Garland, because of his play and contract....thoughts?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

More thoughts on LA

Doughty.................going no where

Roy........................defensive Dman +23

Clarke....................just killed the OHL this year........over point a game

Faber.....................was on team USA first pairing.........#40 best player not in the NHL (Rathbone was #48) Still in University....not signed!

Durzi......................first year in NHL......27 points in 64 games, -9........well thought of

Spence..................played 24 games for LA this year, just under a point a game in the AHL this season

Walker....................small, often injured, 6 games this year, 2 more years left on his contract

Grans.....................6'3" 206 lbs. +7 in AHL in first Pro year............IMO, he is ear marked for the #3 spot RHD, if his development stays on track

Stecher...................Tazmainian Devil like work ethic, fearless for his size (not an answer to our problems, but would be a great complimentary #3/4 RHD) 

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Vintage 1