The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Garland traded to LAK

To VAN: Helge Grans (RD) + Jaret Anderson-Dolan (C)

To LAK: Conor Garland

The Kings need some more offense added to their lineup and Garland is a 26 year old player locked in for 4 more years that has averaged 0.67 pts/gp over the past 3 seasons. Kings are stacked at RD and C, so I think this trade makes sense for them.

Reports in VAN seem to point to a resigning of Boeser, so for cap space reasons Garland may be traded. JR has talked about how VAN needs to add RD and C prospects into their pipeline. Grans is a big 6'3" 206 lbs Swedish RHD, just turned 20 years old and was selected in the 2nd round of the 2020 draft. No NHL experience yet but has performed well at the AHL and U-20 levels. Might be pushing for the NHL roster next season, but likely one more year logging big minutes in Abby.

Anderson-Dolan is a 22 year old former 2nd round pick who has played 50 games in the NHL and hasn't quite stuck. He had a breakout season in the AHL this season and looks poised to make a push to stick in the NHL next season. He would be a good option as a 13th forward (center depth) and potentially grow as a future 3C in the long term.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

The Kings need some more offense added to their lineup and Garland is a 26 year old player locked in for 4 more years that has averaged 0.67 pts/gp over the past 3 seasons. Kings are stacked at RD and C, so I think this trade makes sense for them.

Reports in VAN seem to point to a resigning of Boeser, so for cap space reasons Garland may be traded. JR has talked about how VAN needs to add RD and C prospects into their pipeline. Grans is a big 6'3" 206 lbs Swedish RHD, just turned 20 years old and was selected in the 2nd round of the 2020 draft. No NHL experience yet but has performed well at the AHL and U-20 levels. Might be pushing for the NHL roster next season, but likely one more year logging big minutes in Abby.

Anderson-Dolan is a 22 year old former 2nd round pick who has played 50 games in the NHL and hasn't quite stuck. He had a breakout season in the AHL this season and looks poised to make a push to stick in the NHL next season. He would be a good option as a 13th forward (center depth) and potentially grow as a future 3C in the long term.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of getting picks or prospects for Garland, but it seems like underpayment for Garland.
He was top-30 in the NHL for 5v5 scoring, tied with JT Miller, and has sparkling advanced stats. Garland is a proper top-6 forward that's worth a mid 1st round pick (or prospect equivalent) for sure.  

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Thoughts?

I’d be open to trading Garland, if L.A. is interested in him, and wants him. But we’d need some prospects coming back our way. 

What about instead of a C and RD, we just swing for two RHD’s. Faber and Grans for Garland. 

The Kings get immediate NHL production and help, and Vancouver gets two RHD prospects. 

41 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I like the idea of getting picks or prospects for Garland, but it seems like underpayment for Garland.
He was top-30 in the NHL for 5v5 scoring, tied with JT Miller, and has sparkling advanced stats. Garland is a proper top-6 forward that's worth a mid 1st round pick (or prospect equivalent) for sure.  

Great I'd be happy if Garland was worth a 1st round pick, but JR reportedly was looking for a 1st round pick for Garland at the TDL and no team would pay that price, so...

Edit: By the way Garland was 53rd in ES points in the league, not top 30.

Edited by BigTramFan

21 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’d be open to trading Garland, if L.A. is interested in him, and wants him. But we’d need some prospects coming back our way. 

What about instead of a C and RD, we just swing for two RHD’s. Faber and Grans for Garland. 

The Kings get immediate NHL production and help, and Vancouver gets two RHD prospects. 

I hear that Faber is near untouchable for LAK, so don't think they would even do Garland for Faber 1-for-1

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Why me?

Sorry dude, even though you've got the heart of a giant, you're just too small.  And that pushing the puck up the ice with one hand on your stick that you do so often, what's up with that?  Do like the way you spin around and around and lose the defender on the perimeter/along the wall to make plays to your linemates for back doors and high slot chances, though. 

JK.  I hope the Allvin doesn't move you. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Great I'd be happy if Garland was worth a 1st round pick, but JR reportedly was looking for a 1st round pick for Garland at the TDL and no team would pay that price, so...

Edit: By the way Garland was 53rd in ES points in the league, not top 30.

Inspect Jim Carrey GIF

I don't know where you get your stats. https://moneypuck.com/stats.htm has......

Garland was tied for 29th in the league for points 5v5 with Matt Duchene and Skinner at 47 points.

Garland drew 62 PIM only taking 26 himself for 7th in the league in differential, and 30th in min's drawn. 

22 of is 33 assists were primary assists. 

60th in 5v5 goals

He ranks between 30-80th in the league in most fancy stats putting him solidly in first liner territory. Garland doesn't get PP or PK so lets judge him on the mins he plays. 

In conclusion he's a far better player than anything we're getting back in your proposal. 

Jim Carrey Yes GIF

I'm perfectly fine keeping Garland if there isn't fair value coming back.  

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Brock for Grans?

Doughty says they need a guy that can put the puck in the net - that's more Boeser than Garland.  

Not sure Vancouver wants to part with Boeser though - much harder to replace.  They are discussing contract extension with Rutherford saying that he could even sign his 1-year QO but thinks he's young enough to take a 2-3 year bridge.

Doughty also says that they need to add toughness and bigger Ds.  Says that other than Edler they are all kind of little guys.  Maybe their management feel the same and hope that Grans can address some of their size issues.

Edited by mll

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Doughty says they need a guy that can put the puck in the net - that's more Boeser than Garland.  

Not sure Vancouver wants to part with Boeser though - much harder to replace.  They are discussing contract extension with Rutherford saying that he could even sign his 1-year QO but thinks he's young enough to take a 2-3 year bridge.

Doughty also says that they need to add toughness and bigger Ds.  Says that other than Edler they are all kind of little guys.  Maybe their management feel the same and hope that Grans can address some of their size issues.

I like Grans. Does LA even have interest in Garland? He can produce offense, and he comes cheaper than Brock would. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I don't know where you get your stats. https://moneypuck.com/stats.htm has......

Garland was tied for 29th in the league for points 5v5 with Matt Duchene and Skinner at 47 points.

Quanthockey.com for 2021-22 regular season filtered for ESP (even strength points):

image.thumb.png.476d40aa32dfced5230cde91ac6e6eb2.png

Edited by BigTramFan

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I like Grans. Does LA even have interest in Garland? He can produce offense, and he comes cheaper than Brock would. 

That's what I am questioning - wouldn't call Garland a guy that puts the puck in the net.  I am not sure they would see him as a target. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

That's what I am questioning - wouldn't call Garland a guy that puts the puck in the net.  I am not sure they would see him as a target. 

Yeah. But if cap construction is important, then I’d take Garland over Brock. Garland is cost controlled for the next four years. They know what they’re getting, and would get value for his production (assuming he produces).