The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change of scenery [Proposal]

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It depends on if Arizona sees any value to bringing in Poolman. The fact that he isn’t guaranteed to be on LTIR and the way his contract is structured makes him a lot less attractive to Arizona. 

If their goal is to pick up an actual player the possible LTIR status puts an end to that.  

If they just want help hitting the cap floor then they wouldn’t be putting him on LTIR.  The way his contract is structured he’ll be paid roughly the same as his cap hit this coming season  and more than his cap hit for the last 2 seasons.  He’ll be paid $8.25m over those 3 seasons with a total cap hit of $7.5m. 

By comparison they could bring in Weber from Montreal. Pay him $6m total over the next 4 seasons, and have a cap hit of over $31m.  

I guess what I’m saying is that if you want Arizona to take on Poolman’s contract for the next 3 years it’ll probably cost a decent asset for them to do it. 

Weber certainly takes care of AZ's cap floor needs, and Weber just has to go home and collect cheques. 

We might end up being stuck with Poolman, unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rathbone + McDonnough to the Devils for Zacha + Severson. 

Fitzgerald was not interested in trading Severson at the TDL because 'RHDs don't grow on trees and he helps them win'.  They finished near last in the standings and want to take the next step.  They have quite the step to take to make the playoffs.  Severson would create such a hole in their lineup which they can't easily fill and it's not a position they should be downgrading on if they want to take a step forward.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think JR has a deal ready for Garland.  Likely something talked about during the last TDL.  

Garland + Poolman for Crouse.  

Arizona didn't want to extend Garland.  Himself even said they never had extension talks.  Crouse has trade interest.  Coyotes don't seem to care about competing in the next little while.  They are trying to hoard draft picks/prospects to accelerate their rebuild. 

Armstrong was on Seravalli's podcast.  They've compiled a list of teams with problematic contracts and Armstrong has been actively calling those teams to offer their help.  Seravalli jokes that he's offering a life vest that's really a weighted anvil.  They probably are not taking contracts back for free and want futures in return. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

First of all. We don't have to decide anything on McDonnough until August. 15th, 2023. Second we need to move salary. 3rd were not giving up nearly enough in your proposal neither player has proven anything at the NHL level. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

McDonnough is not signed he is playing his last season of College? Free to sign anywhere after his college season is over.. I guess Canuck have inside track if they can't sign they can't trade his rights like Calgary did with Fox years ago..

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think JR has a deal ready for Garland.  Likely something talked about during the last TDL.  

Garland + Poolman for Crouse.  

We’d probably have to throw in the 2022 1st round pick to do that deal. Honestly I probably would as this is a weak draft and Crouse is a stud and exactly what we need. However it’s going to be tough for JR to trade our 1st round pick as we’ve already done it the last 2 years. 

However if Miller is traded for a package that includes a 2022 1st then it opens that door I think. 

20 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I like Poolman, I don't think he was healthy very much last year but after watching Wpg, I think we could trade him back on the cheap. It would work for them because they know him and he had some success there. Plus their D looks terrible. 

For us it would be a minor cap savings.

Hmmm interesting. How about Dickie + Poolman for Wheeler 1m retained.

Wheeler is a big dumperoo for them but I see it as we gain roster space and a former Captain power forward for 2 years who can still put up 50-60 pts and put the puck on a tee for Pete. I think Wheeler though on the decline can still be a very complementary player for our Squad and seeing the direction of the Jets might waive to come here in a supporting role. Instead of Captaining a sinking ship. 

We pay an extra 2.1m but we get better and they save money and get younger. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, hammertime said:

Maybe something around Brock Rathbone?

22 hours ago, mll said:

He talks of boxing out players in front of their net and being more physical.  I don't think that's Rathbone.  NJD has young Ds that are pushing for a roster spot just like him - I don't see him moving the needle over what they already have when he's not an established NHLer either. 

Doesn't sound like Vancouver wants to trade Boeser.  Rutherford again indicated that their projections show that they could fit him on 1-year QO under the salary cap.  

IMO, NJ would want to improve with a proven, veteran guy. They were the 4th worst team in the league defensively, while being middle of the pack offensively.  

I don't really see a fit for a deal to help them improve defensively.  They have a great LD prospects in Luke Hughes and a solid one in Kevin Bahl, while in our case we don't really have an abundance of RD to trade away except for Myers.  

Tyler Myers + 15th overall for the 7th overall might be doable as long as Allvin has a backup plan for acquiring a cheaper RD.  

JT Miller would be a good fit anywhere, but especially on the young Devils' team.  He's lived before in the area when he was with the Rangers, so he may agree to sign an extension with them and add value to the deal from our point of view.  If Pavel Zacha can be had for a cheap extension...  

JT Miller for 7th overall + Zacha might be a good deal to make as well.  7th overall this year is not going to be the same as the 7th overall next year or one from 2011. 

If I was a betting man, New Jersey would be going for a top notch goalie as that's their biggest need.  As soon as Allvin hears Thatcher, the phone's getting hung up. 

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Hmmm interesting. How about Dickie + Poolman for Wheeler 1m retained.

Wheeler is a big dumperoo for them but I see it as we gain roster space and a former Captain power forward for 2 years who can still put up 50-60 pts and put the puck on a tee for Pete. I think Wheeler though on the decline can still be a very complementary player for our Squad and seeing the direction of the Jets might waive to come here in a supporting role. Instead of Captaining a sinking ship. 

We pay an extra 2.1m but we get better and they save money and get younger. 

As much as I like Wheels I think 8M cap hit gets us into OEL range for those 2 years.

I'd rather be cap flexible than that. I'd think they'd do Poolman for a 5th or 6th round pick. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

As much as I like Wheels I think 8M cap hit gets us into OEL range for those 2 years.

I'd rather be cap flexible than that. I'd think they'd do Poolman for a 5th or 6th round pick. 

My thinking is if we were to add Wheeler 1m retained 7.25 x2 yes OEL territory. This would free up a Pearson trade and Wheeler Myers would come off the books just in time to re up Pete Podkolzin leaving enough money available to make a big move when JR and CO are projecting us to become contenders.

Pete Miller Wheeler

Kuzmenko Bo Podkolzin 

Karlsson Paul Garland

Lammiko Richardson Lockwood

We're much harder to play against and we gave up nothing of consequence.  

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

IMO, NJ would want to improve with a proven, veteran guy. They were the 4th worst team in the league defensively, while being middle of the pack offensively.  

I don't really see a fit for a deal to help them improve defensively.  They have a great LD prospects in Luke Hughes and a solid one in Kevin Bahl, while in our case we don't really have an abundance of RD to trade away except for Myers.  

Tyler Myers + 15th overall for the 7th overall might be doable as long as Allvin has a backup plan for acquiring a cheaper RD.  

JT Miller would be a good fit anywhere, but especially on the young Devils' team.  He's lived before in the area when he was with the Rangers, so he may agree to sign an extension with them and add value to the deal from our point of view.  If Pavel Zacha can be had for a cheap extension...  

JT Miller for 7th overall + Zacha might be a good deal to make as well.  7th overall this year is not going to be the same as the 7th overall next year or one from 2011. 

If I was a betting man, New Jersey would be going for a top notch goalie as that's their biggest need.  As soon as Allvin hears Thatcher, the phone's getting hung up. 

NJD has 2nd overall.  It's Ottawa that has 7th overall.

Myers would be a 3rd pairing D on NJD - they have Severson and Hamilton ahead of him.  

Don't really see why Miller, who is nearing 30 and has yet to win a Cup, would want to sign with such a young team who could be several years from competing.  They don't even have a reliable starting goalie.

Miller can only sign an extension in free agency - not at the draft.  He gets to chose his team with 1 year to free agency unless they trade him as 1-year rental.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Don't really see why Miller, who is nearing 30 and has yet to win a Cup, would want to sign with such a young team who could be several years from competing.  They don't even have a reliable starting goalie.

Miller can only sign an extension in free agency - not at the draft.  He gets to chose his team with 1 year to free agency unless they trade him as 1-year rental.

@mll

Do we know the dates yet for when teams can sign their own July 2023 UFAs?  Is it before or after the 2022 draft?  

Alf is confused about the JR comments that he will know before the coming draft where they stand with extending Miller and Bo.  How can he know if we can’t negotiate until after the draft?  :blink:

Just now, Alflives said:

@mll

Do we know the dates yet for when teams can sign their own July 2023 UFAs?  Is it before or after the 2022 draft?  

Alf is confused about the JR comments that he will know before the coming draft where they stand with extending Miller and Bo.  How can he know if we can’t negotiate until after the draft?  :blink:

After.  They can discuss similar to the interview period that use to precede free agency.  

Players on multi-year deals can sign an extension in the last year of their deal - ie the earliest is at the start of free agency as that's the start of the final year of their contract. It's 13 July this year while the draft is 7-8 July.  For a player on a 1-year deal - it's 6 months before so 1 January on a normal schedule.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

After.  They can discuss similar to the interview period that use to precede free agency.  

Players on multi-year deals can sign an extension in the last year of their deal - ie the earliest is at the start of free agency as that's the start of the final year of their contract. It's 13 July this year while the draft is 7-8 July.  For a player on a 1-year deal - it's 6 months before so 1 January on a normal schedule.

So JR can talk contracts with Miller and Bo for only two days before the draft?  That's not a heck f a lot to find out if we can work out contracts.  Yet, he did say we will know about Miller and Bo before the draft.  Maybe JR already knows what he’s doing with these two guys?  Trading Miller and signing Bo.  

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, mll said:

Myers would be a 3rd pairing D on NJD - they have Severson and Hamilton ahead of him.  

Honestly have you seen their roster, and pipe line they are ready to flip the switch like the Avs did. Addind a Miller should be exactly what they want!

Bratt Miller Hughes

Sharangovich Nico Holtz 

Mercer Macleod Zacha

In whatever order is a serious top 9. Ready to take the next step. 

Legit  have D envy.

Edited by hammertime

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Honestly have you seen their roster, and pipe line they are ready to flip the switch like the Avs did. Addind a Miller should be exactly what they want!

They’re not ready to do anything until they address their goaltending. Also. 1 year of Miller at the cost of 2nd OA is one step forward, 2 steps back 

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They’re not ready to do anything until they address their goaltending. Also. 1 year of Miller at the cost of 2nd OA is one step forward, 2 steps back 

They have the cash to re sign him for what he's worth so ya... I'd do Holtz + for Miller. They go ahead and draft 2oa Wright or Slafkovski and forget all about Holtz.

Edited by hammertime

55 minutes ago, hammertime said:

My thinking is if we were to add Wheeler 1m retained 7.25 x2 yes OEL territory. This would free up a Pearson trade and Wheeler Myers would come off the books just in time to re up Pete Podkolzin leaving enough money available to make a big move when JR and CO are projecting us to become contenders.

Pete Miller Wheeler

Kuzmenko Bo Podkolzin 

Karlsson Paul Garland

Lammiko Richardson Lockwood

We're much harder to play against and we gave up nothing of consequence.  

I would like to see if we could get Paul at less dollars first. 

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

They have the cash to re sign him for what he's worth so ya... I'd do Holtz + for Miller. They go ahead and draft 2oa Wright or Slafkovski and forget all about Holtz.

You’re assuming Miller would even consider extending with Jersey