The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You know how to get both? 

Good drafting. 

Ya it would help if we weren't giving away our first round picks.

Edited by J-23

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

JB handcuffed us with that 7.5M QO. We were in a position of weakness for trades and paying that QO would have hurt. This neutral site you speak of also does not recognize that Brock’s mental game was off while dealing with a dying dad this last season (which coincidentally was his worst).

As a Canuck fan, you should be more aware of these important factors and be aware that these sites can’t pick up on when assessing value for contract, 

This contract is good.

(1. I did acknowledge what Brock has been dealing with.

(2. My entire point is that players should be paid for their production. NOT their "Maybe, sorta, kinda, could be, might be" production.

(3. He likely would not get $7m anywhere in the league and if he accepts that QO he risks having another off year, tanking his own stock, and never being paid highly again. Taking $6.65m x 3 is a win for him, especially if he doesn't increase his production at all. Once again, no player should be paid based off hype, they should be paid based on factual productivity numbers.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Brock has been at times; a top 20 RW in the NHL, arguably flirting with top 10?  A good balance of risk, less than his QC but not THAT much less...  

I still like it. Cuz I like Brock!

If Brock were healthy he’d be in my top 5.  He would have scored 30 plus goals in every season that he’s been here. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t think Garland is moved, but what do I know. 

Still think Miller is moved by the draft. 

Allvin can keep his mouth shut and doesn't mind letting the media know that he's not answering.  Look at how quiet it was about signing Boeser and the media said the signing wasn't on but it was.  Then there was Mike Yeo.  Silence, and now he's the assistant coach.  Silence over Miller means nothing.   We'll see what happens.  Allvin was asked about a trade tonight in a media availability and he says that there's no pressure to sign or trade because he's signed for another year.  It all means nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But then we wouldn't have Miller...who we hopefully trade for a RHD ++ Funny that.

At the time I wasn’t too excited with the Miller trade. Of course happy he turned out and hopefully we can take of advantage of this and acquire a RHD++. As much as I love Garland and OEL I would take the 1st and cap space. Could have someone like Clarke in our system with the space.

JB had his W’s but lost sight of the rebuild imo. I still think this team needs a rebuild but that’s for another day. Regardless everything looks good in hindsight.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser is a pure goal scorer.  Those players are hard to find.  Garland is not a pure goal scorer.  Boudreau called him a 3rd liner.  3rd liners can be easily replaced.  30 goal scorers cannot. 

Garland was our best player 5on5 outside of Miller. Miller got 1 more PT at 5on5 than Garland. 

Garland was used so poorly last season. If he got PP time he would have had a 70-75 PT season which for 4.95 is a steal.

Trading Garland is a mistake

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Outsiders said:

Garland was our best player 5on5 outside of Miller. Miller got 1 more PT at 5on5 than Garland. 

Garland was used so poorly last season. If he got PP time he would have had a 70-75 PT season which for 4.95 is a steal.

Agree 100%. Look at his last season on Arizona when he was given a chance on the PP and that’s on the worst team in the league. Here’s hoping the do utilize him more in offensive opportunities. Garland was easily our best player under Green. Give the man the opportunity and he’ll have one of the best contract in the league. I’m glad we signed Boeser today but I would have kept Garland if it meant one or the other 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Deals have to be made.  We cannot keep the status quo.  It's not 100% certain that Garland will be traded, but it is 100% certain that at least one, or maybe 3 forwards are traded this summer.  There is a scenario where we can keep Garland, it depends on how the other pieces are moved around on the chess board.  Garland also has good trade value, so he could be moved to fill a hole on defence,

Edited by Elias Pettersson

14 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Allvin can keep his mouth shut and doesn't mind letting the media know that he's not answering.  Look at how quiet it was about signing Boeser and the media said the signing wasn't on but it was.  Then there was Mike Yeo.  Silence, and now he's the assistant coach.  Silence over Miller means nothing.   We'll see what happens.  Allvin was asked about a trade tonight in a media availability and he says that there's no pressure to sign or trade because he's signed for another year.  It all means nothing.

I heard the Canucks are finally able to bring back Kirill Koltsov. :gocan:

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Deals have to be made.  We cannot keep the status quo.  It's not 100% certain that Garland will be traded, but it is 100% certain that at least one, or maybe 3 forwards are traded this summer.  There is a scenario where we can keep Garland, it depends on how the other pieces are moved around on the chess board.  Garland also has good trade value, so he could be moved to fill a hole on defence,

I think you have to trade Garland now no? Kuzmenko and Boeser are your top 6 RW. What's the point of Garland on your third line?

Unless they put guys in pairs

Miller-Garland

Horvat-Kuzmenko

Petey-Boeser 

But then how to you improve the defence? We can't bring everyone back.

Ultimately I think Miller goes for the help we need on defence. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Devron said:

Agree 100%. Look at his last season on Arizona when he was given a chance on the PP and that’s on the worst team in the league. Here’s hoping the do utilize him more in offensive opportunities. Garland was easily our best player under Green. Give the man the opportunity and he’ll have one of the best contract in the league. I’m glad we signed Boeser today but I would have kept Garland if it meant one or the other 

Boeser had his worst year ever last year, and still had 12 even strength goals and 11.8% shooting percentage.  If he can come back next year in great shape there is no reason he can't hit 35 goals under Boudreau.  Garland is not a 35 goal scorer.  His shooting % is only 9.4%.  He wouldn't have enough shots to ever hit 35 goals.  Boeser also has more size and better board play.

Boudreau called Garland a 3rd liner.  I'm not saying he couldn't get 20-25 goals playing in the top 6, but he is not a true goal scorer like Brock Boeser is.  And I don't think he would be a top playoff performer given his size.  I could be wrong, but that is how I see it.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I think you have to trade Garland now no? Kuzmenko and Boeser are your top 6 RW. What's the point of Garland on your third line?

Unless they put guys in pairs

Miller-Garland

Horvat-Kuzmenko

Petey-Boeser 

But then how to you improve the defence? We can't bring everyone back.

Ultimately I think Miller goes for the help we need on defence. 

Yes Garland most likely would be a 3rd liner next year, that is why I think they move him.  Unless you play both Podkolzin and Kuzmenko on the left and trade Miller.  But then you're top 6 is too small.  I don't think we have the depth and luxury to have a $5 million player on the 3rd line.  Garland would be better used in a trade for help on defence.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, three years isn’t that long, you’d hope the team is contending by that point. Petey will have been 26 years old, still young. Hughes about the same age. Their window to contend technically would and should still be open. 

Completely wide open. 4th year making the playoffs. Massive experience gained.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I easily do the OEL trade again. Guys a stud.

It's easy to hate on that trade, and for me the $7.26 million is a bit rich for a 2nd pairing guy.  But theoretically speaking, if you eliminate OEL from the team and add back the cap space, who is going to take his spot?  An overpaid UFA?  Rathbone?  Dermott?  Who can take the minutes of Hughes when he is out of the lineup?

It's easy to rag on OEL and say we would be better off without that trade, but honestly Garland can easily be moved for a RHD as he's on a good contract and still young.  And the cap space from OEL not being around would really be needed to help fill his spot if he wasn't around to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2