The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Burkie was an awesome GM. 

Gillis did a good job bringing in some great support for those guys.

But it was Burkie's team.

Burke did some good things for the club, but don't give him credit for things he didn't do. The 2004 draft was Nonis' first draft. Nonis was responsible for drafting Schneider, Edler, Hansen, and Raymond, for signing Burrows, and for trading for Luongo.

Gillis still inherited much of the core, but as you said did a good job bringing in the support pieces to push the team over the top. Our back-to-back Presidents Cup winning teams had key pieces acquired by all 3 GMs which is pretty interesting. 

• Cheers 1

I'm excited to have Boeser back. Based on last year's play the cap hit is a little bit of an overpayment but based on his total body of work I think it's pretty fair. Also, him signing for almost a million under his QO says he really wants to be here.

Hopefully he can get some closure this summer on his dad's passing. If he gets back to a 30-35 goal 60-70 point pace I think the contract is more than worth it.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If JR was brought in to do what Gillis did then hopefully he does as good a job and we are Cup contenders.  

MILLER - HORVAT - BOESER

KUZMENKO - PETTERSSON - PODKOLZIN

GARLAND - RICHARDSON - HÖGLANDER

DRIES - LAMMIKKO - CHIASSON

OEL - __________

HUGHES - SCHENN

DERMOTT - MYERS

DEMKO

MARTIN

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

MILLER - HORVAT - BOESER

OEL - __________

HUGHES - SCHENN

DERMOTT - MYERS

DEMKO

MARTIN

I’d like to see Chaisson back, but I thought it was reported he signed in Europe?

• Vintage 1

Just now, Diamonds said:

I'm excited to have Boeser back. Based on last year's play the cap hit is a little bit of an overpayment but based on his total body of work I think it's pretty fair. Also, him signing for almost a million under his QO says he really wants to be here.

Hopefully he can get some closure this summer on his dad's passing. If he gets back to a 30-35 goal 60-70 point pace I think the contract is more than worth it.

Me too! His play in the bubble was awesome. I think with all of this heartache behind him, he will be back playing like that again.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't think there was a way to sign Markstrom and move him.  He wanted trade protection and would be able to command it with his upcoming contract.  It was keep Demko and lose Markstrom for nothing, or sign Markstrom and move on from Demko.

Markstrom had no reason to want to sign with the Canucks just to be traded.  He was a UFA.  Why not just sign somewhere he wants to be with trade protection.

Plus people keep forgetting there was an expansion draft.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

He certainly seems to have the best chance at a resurgence and outperforming his new contract. 

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

MILLER - HORVAT - BOESER

OEL - __________

HUGHES - SCHENN

DERMOTT - MYERS

DEMKO

MARTIN

MILLER - HORVAT - BOESER

PEARSON - DICKINSON - GARLAND

HÖGLANDER - LAMMIKKO - HIGHMORE

LOCKWOOD

HUGHES - OEL

DERMOTT - MYERS

RATHBONE - SCHENN

DEMKO

MARTIN

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He certainly seems to have the best chance at a resurgence and outperforming his new contract. 

MILLER - HORVAT - BOESER

PEARSON - DICKINSON - GARLAND

HÖGLANDER - LAMMIKKO - HIGHMORE

LOCKWOOD

HUGHES - OEL

DERMOTT - MYERS

RATHBONE - SCHENN

DEMKO

MARTIN

With the coaching and management team

we have, this is a playoff-bound team.

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

what really hurts is losing Markstrom and Tanev, Taffoki for nothing?? That kind of stuff can't happen.. Even if we signed Markstrom and then moved him?

Very very poor asset management previous years..

Love new management team, they will never let someone walk for nothing just look at Motte..

Great job by Allvin signing Boeser 3X 6.6 -- Rathbone 2 yrs X 850,000, Juulson , Lockwood along with coaches busy productive day by management team..

Toffoli was good for 1 season in Montreal and bad the next. Even with Calgary, he was not good. If he were on the Canucks last season he would have struggled like everyone else and we’d all be screaming for him to be traded. Time to move on. Losing toffoli was not a big deal. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

Toffoli was good for 1 season in Montreal and bad the next. Even with Calgary, he was not good. If he were on the Canucks last season he would have struggled like everyone else and we’d all be screaming for him to be traded. Time to move on. Losing toffoli was not a big deal. 

It's not a huge deal but he played a significant role in getting the Canadiens as far as the Canucks have ever gotten in their 50+ year history.  In Canucks terms for Montreal, that was like being Jeff Brown, Christian Ehrhoff or Murray Craven.  All short time Canucks who nobody complains about having acquired and without whom we may not have had our Cup runs.  Would Toffoli have been enough to take the playoff missing Canucks that year to the Cup final...probably not.  But losing Toffoli and/or Tanev was done in the name of keeping Virtanen and others.  It turned out to be a bad move.  One I can put in the rear view mirror easily enough though.

• Cheers 1

Okay. So I gave this signing a little more thought. While I'm still happy with the signing, he's signed until he's 28 years old, meaning that he'll be a UFA? 

Can the Canucks resign him before he hits the market? 

25 minutes ago, Me_ said:

With the coaching and management team

we have, this is a playoff-bound team.

oh man. Höglander on the fourth line. I don't see that playing out very well. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

But losing Toffoli and/or Tanev was done in the name of keeping Virtanen and others.

not just a bad move. this was a really bad move by Benning. What was he thinking keeping Virtanen over Tanev? 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Okay. So I gave this signing a little more thought. While I'm still happy with the signing, he's signed until he's 28 years old, meaning that he'll be a UFA? 

Can the Canucks resign him before he hits the market? 

He can sign an extension in the last year of his deal - same situation as with Miller/Horvat.

Extensions can be signed 1 year ahead for players on multi-year contracts (1 July on a normal schedule - 13 July this year).  For players on a 1-year deal it's 6 months before (1 January).

Edited by mll

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

not just a bad move. this was a really bad move by Benning. What was he thinking keeping Virtanen over Tanev? 

Yeah I mean it certainly looks worse after the stuff that followed with Virtnanen.  But the Canucks have been scared of losing the next Cam Neely for the last 30 years.

• Vintage 1

Apparently Cammy Granato was behind this. Good for her. It's not a fantastic deal based on Brock's performance last season, but compared to what we would have paid, it's a steal. If he's a 30 goal, 50-60 point player next year, it's more than worth it. He just has to stay healthy. Maybe we need a big, modern enforcer. If we can unload Myers for a cheaper, younger player whose primary role is to kill penalties, play sound defensively and stand up for teammates, I'd be all over that. 

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

oh man. Höglander on the fourth line. I don't see that playing out very well. 

He has to start scoring. He second guesses himself too much and has failed to pull the trigger effectively.  Especially chances in close, in the slot. Shoot it!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Thornycroft said:

Apparently Cammy Granato was behind this. Good for her. It's not a fantastic deal based on Brock's performance last season, but compared to what we would have paid, it's a steal. If he's a 30 goal, 50-60 point player next year, it's more than worth it. He just has to stay healthy. Maybe we need a big, modern enforcer. If we can unload Myers for a cheaper, younger player whose primary role is to kill penalties, play sound defensively and stand up for teammates, I'd be all over that. 

Geersten out of NJ. Big and mean dman.League minimum.