The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How is he a more complete player when he scored less goals than Chiasson? 

How is Usain Bolt a lesser athlete than, Damian Warner when Bolt is so much faster in the 200 and 100 meters.

Perhaps it is because Damian can also shot put, javelin, long jump,  high jump, and run longer distances  better than Usain?

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How is he a more complete player when he scored less goals than Chiasson?  He's an overpaid 3rd liner at this point in his career.  His body has been severely abused and he will probably be on LTIR before he finishes that contract.  Boeser meanwhile hasn't even hit his prime yet.

Habs have several toxic contracts that they will try and dumperoo.  Gallagher, Hoffman, Anderson, Dvorak.  :sick:

Missed Drouin. :sick:

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

How is Usain Bolt a lesser athlete than, Damian Warner when Bolt is so much faster in the 200 and 100 meters.

Perhaps it is because Damian can also shot put, javelin, long jump,  high jump, and run longer distances  better than Usain?

True.  But you are comparing two athletes who are both in their primes where one can do alot more than the other and still run the 100 and 200 in very good times.  Gallagher is past his prime and isn't even considered a goal scorer any longer, so you can't compare him to a 25 year old top 6 forward who is just hitting his prime years regardless of what other attributes Gallagher may still have.

Not even Jim Benning would be dumb enough to trade Brock Boeser for Brendan Gallagher right now...

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  But you are comparing two athletes who are both in their primes where one can do alot more than the other and still run the 100 and 200 in very good times.  Gallagher is past his prime and isn't even considered a goal scorer any longer, so you can't compare him to a 25 year old top 6 forward who is just hitting his prime years regardless of what other attributes Gallagher may still have.

Not even Jim Benning would be dumb enough to trade Brock Boeser for Brendan Gallagher right now...

Merely pointing out that different players help in different ways.

Goal scoring is important- but it is not the complete measure of a player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yes, totally agree my friend...

I would trade a 25 year old Brendan Gallagher for Brock Boeser.  Just so you understand my point.  I wouldn't trade today's version of Brendan Gallagher for Brock Boeser, if that makes sense...

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not to chime in on whether each player is better or not but I agree with your statement above. A player who is valuable in the regular season may not be as valuable in the playoffs and vice versa. Take for example play along the boards. If you go in the corners and come out empty handed, it makes it very difficult for you to be able to score without the puck or make a play. You would be hard pressed to maintain possession of the puck for that matter.

Boeser many times relied on a player like Miller to dig the puck out for  him and dish him the puck to be effective. 

If we are in game 7 in the SCF and 1 minute left in the 3rd? The decision of which player I may want on the ice might prove more difficult to decide.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Not to chime in on whether each player is better or not but I agree with your statement above. A player who is valuable in the regular season may not be as valuable in the playoffs and vice versa. Take for example play along the boards. If you go in the corners and come out empty handed, it makes it very difficult for you to be able to score without the puck or make a play. You would be hard pressed to maintain possession of the puck for that matter.

Boeser many times relied on a player like Miller to dig the puck out for  him and dish him the puck to be effective. 

If we are in game 7 in the SCF and 1 minute left in the 3rd? The decision of which player I may want on the ice might prove more difficult to decide.

This comes off like you've never watched Boeser play. Dude has no issues getting into scrums for loose pucks. I can actually remember numerous times his forecheck caused a turnover that lead to a goal for. I truly think he could have had at least 5 more assists at a minimum from his forechecks leading to a goal for. People really act like Boeser is some scrub perimiter player that won't grind in the corners. The only knock I give Boeser haters is Boeser isn't fast. But the idea he won't muck it up in the corners for pucks or won't forecheck is not true. I have seen him battle for pucks lots of times. He does it way more often than Petey does too FYI, but we never say anything bad about Petey here.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Gallagher is everything this club needs.  Dont care that hes smaller.  He plays bigger than any of our players.

Plays "bigger" in what way? Among players with 20+ games he was 10th on the Habs for hits per 60 minutes and his number fits 10th on the Canucks just ahead of Hoglander. Better than Boeser, who was dead last among our forwards.  But his ppg is about 65% of Boeser's and neither is a penalty killer. I will say Gallagher is better defensively. But add it all up and I wouldn't mind seeing Boeser moved because he just doesn't do much when not scoring. But I definitely wouldn't swap him for Gallagher at his salary. The money could be much better spent than on a player slightly more physical than Hoglander.

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Wearing my signed (lucky) BB6 jersey (my daughter's old mirror is filthy!). Sooo glad he's back...I don't know if people understand that he's a big time team player and this group likes playing together. It matters.

Next shot'll be my "#9's re-signed and is so fine" jersey shot.

image.png

Super happy to have Brock staying right where he belongs. Duke's team. 

Maybe some Canuck’s socks? spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This comes off like you've never watched Boeser play. Dude has no issues getting into scrums for loose pucks. I can actually remember numerous times his forecheck caused a turnover that lead to a goal for. I truly think he could have had at least 5 more assists at a minimum from his forechecks leading to a goal for. People really act like Boeser is some scrub perimiter player that won't grind in the corners. The only knock I give Boeser haters is Boeser isn't fast. But the idea he won't muck it up in the corners for pucks or won't forecheck is not true. I have seen him battle for pucks lots of times. He does it way more often than Petey does too FYI, but we never say anything bad about Petey here.

I don't disagree with you in that the effort is totally there, his foot speed gets the best of him though and you can really see it on the PP when he gets pressured. Petey has the same concern too but Petey is a little quicker which gets him out trouble most of the time. 

And by the way,  I watch EVERY GAME for your information. 

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

That's because you are not allowed to or you will get banned.  It's in my contract...   -_-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Wearing my signed (lucky) BB6 jersey (my daughter's old mirror is filthy!). Sooo glad he's back...I don't know if people understand that he's a big time team player and this group likes playing together. It matters.

Next shot'll be my "#9's re-signed and is so fine" jersey shot.

image.png

Super happy to have Brock staying right where he belongs. Duke's team. 

So is the #40 Petey jersey still in the closet or did you want me to sign it before you take it out and wear it?   :)

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So is the #40 Petey jersey still in the closet or did you want me to sign it before you take it out and wear it?   :)

It's safely stored in my closet, waiting for your sig Petey.....

(That's the black skate jersey...my favourite)

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't disagree with you in that the effort is totally there, his foot speed gets the best of him though and you can really see it on the PP when he gets pressured. Petey has the same concern too but Petey is a little quicker which gets him out trouble most of the time. 

And by the way,  I watch EVERY GAME for your information. 

Never said you don't watch, but it does seem like you're missing what Boeser can actually do away from the puck. He doesn't "need" Miller to be effective like you suggest. Arguably the best Boeser we seen so far was his rookie season without Miller. He's not a superstar play driver, but Boeser isn't a passenger that needs to be carried either. He is not a negative defensively and he can grind in the corners and he's borderline an automatic 20 goal scorer with 30 goal upside. Boeser is a very good player that gets more heat than he deserves.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Haters gonna hate. It won’t matter what Boeser does. Score 30 or even 40. you’ll see the same comments from that guy

I believe it will be “he only got 30-40 goals because he plays with _____ and get power play goals that anybody else can duplicate”.

:rolleyes:

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Never said you don't watch, but it does seem like you're missing what Boeser can actually do away from the puck. He doesn't "need" Miller to be effective like you suggest. Arguably the best Boeser we seen so far was his rookie season without Miller. He's not a superstar play driver, but Boeser isn't a passenger that needs to be carried either. He is not a negative defensively and he can grind in the corners and he's borderline an automatic 20 goal scorer with 30 goal upside. Boeser is a very good player that gets more heat than he deserves.

Boeser is a much different player since his rookie season. I seriously thought he was the second coming of Bure in the pace he was scoring when he first came on the scene. He has changed since then, whether his wrist injury did anything or not, but that wrist shot is not the same.

Still he is a good player and yes he is not a "superstar play driver" for sure. I just look at a player who is making close to 7 million a season as having more attributes such as size, speed and grit to their game. I see Garland as a similar type player who makes considerably less money.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Boeser is a much different player since his rookie season. I seriously thought he was the second coming of Bure in the pace he was scoring when he first came on the scene. He has changed since then, whether his wrist injury did anything or not, but that wrist shot is not the same.

Still he is a good player and yes he is not a "superstar play driver" for sure. I just look at a player who is making close to 7 million a season as having more attributes such as size, speed and grit to their game. I see Garland as a similar type player who makes considerably less money.

I see Boeser and Garland are very different players.  Boeser (I think) is a guy who can score, from distance, with a wrist shot, and not need a screen.  He’s a pure goal scorer.  

Garland is a nifty little winger who is great below the dots.  

IMHAO replacing what Boeser can do is much more difficult than replacing what Garland can do.

Garland is going back to Arizona for two seconds.  Where’s my bottle? 

And Brock!  You’re a far better player under 200 pounds.  Lose some weight!

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1