The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Miller to NJ

Miller to New Jersey for 2OA, 2nd round pick in 2023, and Sharangovic.

Miller gets them a playoff leader. We select a young RHD that could possibly be ready to step in right away. We get a added 2nd round pick next year. And we get a big young serviceable 20 to 25 goal forward to offset the void left by losing JT. The money we save we can then  go after a UFA defenseman like Manson or Zad. And then, we can add to that shopping total, by dealing Dickinson 2.6M$ and maybe even Myers 6M$ for cheaper defenseman  like Ruuta or J Johnson.

Jack Hughes will have an experienced forward to lean on. And, we won't have to deal with Miller in our own division come playoff time.

After what Copp and Tofu got I think this is fair. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2nd overall is worth more than half a dozen late first rounders. I find it hard to believe NJ will trade it for Miller, let alone add to it.

Then again, try keep saying there are no clear star players at the top of this draft, which would lower the value of the pick compared to other years. But still…

Edited by D-Money
  • Thanks 1

More realistically would be Miller + our 1st overall for the 2nd overall + maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Miller alone isn't worth the 2nd overall. Could end up being Wright who may well be a top line center for 10 years there.

That being said, we haven't had a pick that high since the Sedins, and the Avs and TBL have proven that you need those high picks to win cups, so as damaging as it would be in the short term, I'd be pretty tempted. Only problem is that the 2nd OA wouldn't exactly match up too well with the rest of our core.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Miller to New Jersey for 2OA

NJ hangs up a soon as they hear this. Miller is too old to fetch the #2, it would cost Pettersson or Hughes.

JR doesn't want picks either, he wants good, young players

17 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

More realistically would be Miller + our 1st overall for the 2nd overall + maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Miller alone isn't worth the 2nd overall. Could end up being Wright who may well be a top line center for 10 years there.

That being said, we haven't had a pick that high since the Sedins, and the Avs and TBL have proven that you need those high picks to win cups, so as damaging as it would be in the short term, I'd be pretty tempted. Only problem is that the 2nd OA wouldn't exactly match up too well with the rest of our core.

For me a sweetener would be a NHL roster player like Pearson or Hogs. Or a decent pp prospect like Rathbone. But after Copp's 1st, 2nd and a 5th rounder, I think Miller has more value than that. We could even add IF they get past the first round of the playoffs.  Miller is a 100 leader and a pit bull in the locker room.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

NJ hangs up a soon as they hear this. Miller is too old to fetch the #2, it would cost Pettersson or Hughes.

Yes, I guess it hinges on how much they are in the 'win now' mode. If they feel they are 3 or 4 years away then yeah I tend to agree.

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Miller to New Jersey for 2OA, 2nd round pick in 2023, and Sharangovic.

Miller gets them a playoff leader. We select a young RHD that could possibly be ready to step in right away. We get a added 2nd round pick next year. And we get a big young serviceable 20 to 25 goal forward to offset the void left by losing JT. The money we save we can then  go after a UFA defenseman like Manson or Zad. And then, we can add to that shopping total, by dealing Dickinson 2.6M$ and maybe even Myers 6M$ for cheaper defenseman  like Ruuta or J Johnson.

Jack Hughes will have an experienced forward to lean on. And, we won't have to deal with Miller in our own division come playoff time.

After what Copp and Tofu got I think this is fair. 

No way NJ trade 2nd/ OA for Miller...

Miller -  Hoglander -- NJ Devils---

Vancouver -

A - Package --Holtz, 20, 6'0 -- Zacha  24, 6'3 -C/ W ---- 2nd rounder

B - Sharangovich 24, 6'2 - LW, RW- C -----Zacha 24, 6'3--C/W ----Bahl 22-6'6 - LD --- 2nd rounder 2023 -- 4th rounder 2022

NJ Devils have lots of young talent just no young RD man

NYR could get back in and offer --- Schneider 20, RD, 6'2 -- Kravtsov 23, 6'3 -W -Vancouver --------   NYR-- Miller

Columbus - Ceulemans 19--6'2 RD --Peeke 24 6'3 RD---1st rounder 2022 ---- Vancouver --- ( -Columbus -   Miller- -- Rathbone )

As I said in another thread, realistically no team is gonna move their Top 5 pick this year.  The top 5 are pretty set, you will get one of Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec, or Jiricek.  Would YOU move the pick knowing you will get one of those studs?

From #6 down, I'd say the most likely thing that COULD happen is a team will trade down and acquire a 2nd round pick or something. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

For me a sweetener would be a NHL roster player like Pearson or Hogs. Or a decent pp prospect like Rathbone. But after Copp's 1st, 2nd and a 5th rounder, I think Miller has more value than that. We could even add IF they get past the first round of the playoffs.  Miller is a 100 leader and a pit bull in the locker room.

You have to look at the details of the Copp trade before comparing it though.  It was 2 conditional 2nds.  (I’ll leave out the late pucks the teams exchanged and Barron who was a 5th round pick)

One of the 2nds became a 1st if they Rangers made it to the eastern conference final.  That ensured the puck would be in the very late 20’s. 

Yes. Miller is worth more than Copp. But the 2nd OA is worth far more than the 30th OA.  If you want to use Copp as the basis of value you need to factor in the fact that the 1st Winnipeg got is essentially a 2nd. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

As I said in another thread, realistically no team is gonna move their Top 5 pick this year.  The top 5 are pretty set, you will get one of Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec, or Jiricek.  Would YOU move the pick knowing you will get one of those studs?

From #6 down, I'd say the most likely thing that COULD happen is a team will trade down and acquire a 2nd round pick or something. 

Well none of those kids will help a team in the 'win now' mode. If they have patience for these aces they won't trade for Miller. Miller is game ready. We need a trading partner who wants to get past the first round at least. Miller is a proven leader you'll have to pay big for. 

Again I look at the Copp deal.

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You have to look at the details of the Copp trade before comparing it though.  It was 2 conditional 2nds.  (I’ll leave out the late pucks the teams exchanged and Barron who was a 5th round pick)

One of the 2nds became a 1st if they Rangers made it to the eastern conference final.  That ensured the puck would be in the very late 20’s. 

Yes. Miller is worth more than Copp. But the 2nd OA is worth far more than the 30th OA.  If you want to use Copp as the basis of value you need to factor in the fact that the 1st Winnipeg got is essentially a 2nd. 

Yes there are many factors to be factoring into this. The reality is a 1st a 2nd and a 5th was dealt for Copp. Where they are is important yes, but where the team is IA also important. Winnipeg is nowhere close to a win now mode like NJ. What is winning two playoff rounds worth? Which is what Miller may bring to the table. They can counter offer. Can we take a prospect instead of Sharangovic? Maybe. But I think the goal is to keep our 15th. We've been bleeding picks and we need to hang on to our first. We paid a first for Miller and we want a first in return because his value is high right now.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well none of those kids will help a team in the 'win now' mode. If they have patience for these aces they won't trade for Miller. Miller is game ready. We need a trading partner who wants to get past the first round at least. Miller is a proven leader you'll have to pay big for. 

Again I look at the Copp deal.

The Copp deal was basically a C+ or B-tier prospect at best, and a conditional 1st round pick in the late 1st round.

We're talking about a Top 5 pick in the 1st round.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

The Copp deal was basically a C+ or B-tier prospect at best, and a conditional 1st round pick in the late 1st round.

We're talking about a Top 5 pick in the 1st round.

Then they get in line and wait come playoff time.

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Then they get in line and wait come playoff time.

I just think we are all hoping for a mega return for Miller, so I think we may be disappointed at what the return actually looks like. 

NYR are the one team I could see bending on their offer simply because they got so close to the finals this year.  If they had Miller, they might just have been able to knock off TBL.  Perhaps they'd finally be willing to part with Schneider.

There's no reason for NJD to move their #2OA pick.  Their 2 best players are 21 and 23 years old.  Adding another top tier player to those 2 at #2OA would make a ton of sense.  If they want more veteran presence, they could simply dip into the UFA market.  Forsberg, Kadri, Malkin, etc

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I just think we are all hoping for a mega return for Miller, so I think we may be disappointed at what the return actually looks like. 

NYR are the one team I could see bending on their offer simply because they got so close to the finals this year.  If they had Miller, they might just have been able to knock off TBL.  Perhaps they'd finally be willing to part with Schneider.

There's no reason for NJD to move their #2OA pick.  Their 2 best players are 21 and 23 years old.  Adding another top tier player to those 2 at #2OA would make a ton of sense.  If they want more veteran presence, they could simply dip into the UFA market.  Forsberg, Kadri, Malkin, etc

Yes maybe NJ is too young a team to be a realistic trading partner. They should continue to build through  the draft. We want a team that's desperate to do damage in the playoffs. NYR might be have more incentive to pay for a Miller. 

50 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes maybe NJ is too young a team to be a realistic trading partner. They should continue to build through  the draft. We want a team that's desperate to do damage in the playoffs. NYR might be have more incentive to pay for a Miller. 

I think NYR, Carolina, Boston, Florida, Pittsburgh, Washington are all likely destinations.

I just don't see NJD, Philly, Colorado, Columbus, etc being interesting in a 30 year old Miller at this stage of their rebuilds.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think the reason NJ is rumoured to be dangling the 2nd overall pick, and that it’s connected to the Canucks, is they were talking a longshot at trying to acquire the 3rd Hughes.