The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

On 6/8/2023 at 10:44 PM, Alflives said:

On the stick and off the stick with unbeatable quickness and accuracy.  And the losers say he’s too skinny or isn’t fast enough. But the losers said exactly the same about Mike Bossey. 
Losers gonna have their loser views. 

The losers said the same thing about me too.

Hopefully he's closer to Bossy on that spectrum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 year deal, yikes but I guess he's only 18 now and been set back by injuries a couple of times. You see so many skilled wingers break into the league as 19-20 year olds, I suppose Lekkerimaki will be 21 when we think about it. Would have been nice to get him to North American hockey after a year but I guess Allvin trusts their development over there and has a keen eye on everything that's going on. Playing with Petey certainly won't hurt.

I wonder if he comes straight over after this deal is up as a 20 year old to make the team off training camp then? In 2 years time who knows how our forward group will look, I expect it to look quite similar but he'll have a spot in our middle-6 for sure if he continues to improve.

2 years from now seems the transition period for the new management group. 
OEL’s penalty balloons Boeser off the cap, Myers long gone. 
JL, D-Pettey will be getting first NA experience, Willander will likely be looking to turn pro. Raty and Klimovich should be in the middle of the transition to NHL from the AHL if things work out. Lots of youth and cost controlled potential players coming in when we need them most. 
JL pretty much assures Brock is gone when his contract is up if he makes it that long. 
For now they just seem to be patching things together with assorted odds and sods and hoping desperately that something fits and this bad team starts to click. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, R3aL said:

I just want reiterate my faith in JL as a prospect going forward.

I do believe last year was a blip.

And here is why!

1. He has shown well in the SHL in a limited appearance as a draft eligible

2. He has an elite shot

3. He has high end offensive IQ

4. He is a better playmaker than he is given credit

5. He is working on his game diligently

6. Samuelsson is working with him a lot especially in regards to battles, puck protection and board work. 

7. I believe he performs best when with higher end forwards and will thrive in the SHL where players are on average more positionally sound

8. He will be a top 6 fixture for a full season in the SHL (if not then we have a problem)

9. He is healthy and will go into next season after a proper off season training 

10. His injuries, sickness etc are all valid reasons for having an Asterix of a season. The fact he finished strong when it mattered most, with the most pressure in the playoffs was a great sign. And gave the kid some positive momentum to go into his offseason. 

11. He will have his final WJC appearance this winter, and he will be expected to be a play driving impact offensive force for Sweden and its hosted in his hometown. Stage is set.

I am excited for JL season and I think everyone here should be as well.

@HighOnHockey What do you think?

A lot of reasons still to be excited about the kid. He was drafted just over a year ago and has a late birthday - he's still so young.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

A lot of reasons still to be excited about the kid. He was drafted just over a year ago and has a late birthday - he's still so young.

And when recovered from illness he dominated. And he plays the right way too. He is great without the puck. He doesn’t cheat the game for offence. The kid will be a beauty. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/3/2023 at 10:20 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

What do you mean by 2 year deal?

Lekkerimaki’s ELC (signed this May) is for three years.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-lekkerimaki

And he’s on a loan to Örebro.

The Canucks control his rights. If they want him in North America, he comes over here. And as a first round pick, he’s exempt from age limits for AHL assignment under the transfer agreement. Basically, he plays wherever Vancouver wants him to. Next season, they’ve decided that’s in Sweden. And I think that’s the best choice for his development right now But if they want him over after one year and play in North America for 2024-25, then he comes over here, and can join either the NHL or AHL Canucks. 

(And even if he wasn’t signed and on loan, his contract in the SHL would immediately get replaced by the ELC when he signed to the NHL. That’s the basis of the transfer agreement. The NHL contract takes over and the Swedish team receives financial compensation. Any Canucks Euro draft picks (other than Russia) who aren’t yet signed to ELC’s are in this situation. So long as the Canucks hold rights, they can sign these players, regardless of their contractual situation in Europe. They just have to negotiate a contract during the prescribed window (from end of season until June 15th, or July 15th in year drafted), and any European contract is set aside, regardless of any years remaining on the deal, and replaced with the NHL contract. The player can then be loaned back, but the NHL club controls where their signed players will play hockey.)

Great news. We could see him here in 2024/25 then!

34 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Clip:

Nice goal, but if I’m the Västerås (team

in yellow) coach, I’m definitely having a word or two with the forward who came back and then basically stopped, lightly tapped Lekkerimaki’s skate, and then halfheartedly feigned a stick lift after Lekkerimaki had already got his shot off. That guy could have (a) kept skating and hit Lekkerimaki, (b) engaged physically and tied him up, or (c) actually done a properly timed stick lift and taken away the shot, among other options. At the same time, I like how Lekkerimaki sees that guy coming, widens his stance, gets lower, and appears to angle his body in anticipation of possible physical contact or having his shot contested. Good instincts there that should serve him well in the NHL. Against stiffer competition, he might still have been able to use his body position to protect the puck, maintain possession, and get his shot off, even if that opposition player had decided to engage and actually play some defence.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3