The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep. The coach was playing Lysell like he was some kind of superstar.

This was not Lekkeramaki’s tournament anyways. He’ll have two more where he should be the guy.

The fact that he played every game as one of the youngest players in his draft class is a win.

Wow I didn't realize lekkeramaki is a full 1.5 years younger than Lysell. Really looking forward to watching his development

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

What???? Why is that great. 

homer-simpson-glass1.png

Well he's already representing his country in a defensive role which is great for development and he has lots in the tank ... as in a lot of improvements can be made on both sides of the game. I'd imagine we're not seeing anything close to the final product. 

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well he's already representing his country in a defensive role which is great for development and he has lots in the tank ... as in a lot of improvements can be made on both sides of the game. I'd imagine we're not seeing anything close to the final product. 

I completely agree. These are very good things you love to see but acting as though " it's a great sign if he has the speed but isn't using it" is a positive. I mean I guess it's better than not having the speed at all. 

People acting like the 3 month age difference between Lekkerimaki and Kemell is a factor in Kemell quadrupling Maki's points and a +4 vs -1 

@HighOnHockey comparing Kemell to Ho Sang to support his narrative is a joke. 

This thread is just goofy. Realistically at this time Kemell is a much better player. Now a lot can change in the next 3-5 years that's literally a quarter of these kids lives so far. But after watching this tournament anyone still ranking Lekkerimaki over Kemell just has conformation bias. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I completely agree. These are very good things you love to see but acting as though " it's a great sign if he has the speed but isn't using it" is a positive. I mean I guess it's better than not having the speed at all. 

People acting like the 3 month age difference between Lekkerimaki and Kemell is a factor in Kemell quadrupling Maki's points and a +4 vs -1 

This thread is just goofy. Realistically at this time Kemell is a much better player. Now a lot can change in the next 3-5 years that's literally a quarter of these kids lives so far. But after watching this tournament anyone still ranking Lekkerimaki over Kemell just has conformation bias. 

Yeah that wasn't my intention at all. I was just commenting on Lekk. I mean maybe he was there to win hockey games and not showcase his game for CDC to settle a debate though?

As you stated, I guess it's better he's fast as compared to slow right? One guy played on an elite top line and the other was an afterthought. I do believe coaching and playing on different teams in different situations affects the results as well.

Kemell might be the better player right now but he didn't really impress me either. I thought he was rather pedestrian out there. I'm not a draft guru though so I don't care who liked who before the draft or anything. You almost seem happy he didn't have a better showing. I'm not going to write him off quite yet myself.

52 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I didn't compare Kemell to Ho-Sang. Don't be silly.

35 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah that wasn't my intention at all. I was just commenting on Lekk. I mean maybe he was there to win hockey games and not showcase his game for CDC to settle a debate though?

As you stated, I guess it's better he's fast as compared to slow right? One guy played on an elite top line and the other was an afterthought. I do believe coaching and playing on different teams in different situations affects the results as well.

Kemell might be the better player right now but he didn't really impress me either. I thought he was rather pedestrian out there. I'm not a draft guru though so I don't care who liked who before the draft or anything. You almost seem happy he didn't have a better showing. I'm not going to write him off quite yet myself.

Lekkerimaki is our guy I want nothing more than to see him succeed. I'm frustrated to see him used as you say an afterthought. I was really hoping to get excited about this player in this tournament. He had a fantastic u18 though. 

Disappointingly Djurgardens was relegated to the Allsvenskan this year so we won't be able to see him against top competition in the SHL next year. Hopefully Lekkerimaki can be a huge contributor in a larger role to lead the charge for them to get that legendary hockey franchise back into relevance over the next few years as I wouldn't expect him to jump the pond for 3 ish years. 

20-23 year old Lekkerimaki  on a full elc would be a huge boon for us.

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 2

On 8/15/2022 at 11:29 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Lol appreciate that. I mean in a sense it is just my opinion, but it will be pretty clear to anyone to has watched the players substantially. Don't need to go too far back and talk about Ho-Sang, Milano, etc., but just in the past couple drafts I said exactly the same sorts of things about Cole Perfetti and Fabian Lysell that I said about Kemell this year, and I correctly predicted all three getting drafted later than the consensus expected. NHL GMs just do not like taking a lot of risk with high draft picks. How they turn out long-term is still to be determined, and surely some of them will turn out to be superstars. I don't have anything against any of them per se, but I couldn't believe so many people were talking about Kemell as a potential top 3 pick at times throughout the season. But it will be interesting to watch when one of them hits big, fans will flock to say "I told you so" and "how did this player ever fall as far as they did?" and "it should have always been obvious to everyone how skilled he was and that he would be a star in the NHL."

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Basing your assessment of prospects on one tournament is a really bad idea.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Lekkerimaki is our guy I want nothing more than to see him succeed. I'm frustrated to see him used as you say an afterthought. I was really hoping to get excited about this player in this tournament. He had a fantastic u18 though. 

Disappointingly Djurgardens was relegated to the Allsvenskan this year so we won't be able to see him against top competition in the SHL next year. Hopefully Lekkerimaki can be a huge contributor in a larger role to lead the charge for them to get that legendary hockey franchise back into relevance over the next few years as I wouldn't expect him to jump the pond for 3 ish years. 

21-24 year old Lekkerimaki  on a full elc would be a huge boon for us.

I hear ya 100% I was also hoping for an electric performance but to be honest this Sweden team kind of sucked lol. I remember that pre tourney game they were just rubbish. I also desperately want to see Lekk on an ELC as soon as possible too. I think it's critical to our success in the cap world.

I think it should actually be pretty beneficial to see him in the Allsvenskan where he can play a bigger role and be a difference maker. Smaller progressions are better for some players. Hopefully they can win promotion and get back up. He's got a couple of years here to round out his game.

Hey the good news? We get to see him back in 3 months for a redo but he'll be a year older somehow. ;)

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Basing your assessment of prospects on one tournament is a really bad idea.

Here you are discrediting my opinion. So weird. Obviously I'm not and you know this. But if you had the 2 close before the tournament you'd obviously have to say Kemell's performance has moved the needle. regardless of Lekkerimakis deployment.  

Edited by hammertime

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I also desperately want to see Lekk on an ELC as soon as possible too. I think it's critical to our success in the cap world.

;)

I absolutely agree with the bolded part. The first part however I think it's imperative that we are patient with bringing him over to NA we don't want to burn years off his elc before he is ready to make an impact. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1