The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

Very young draft pick.  Was sick this summer.  mono is not the same for each player.  

Injured and sick for his training,  

it’s not possible at his age, to overcome that lag after the season has started.  

there are too many things that have derailed this kid that are not on the ice in a very important part of his pre for the season.

it can happen, I don’t know if it’s worth investing too much foresight into this season for this kid. 

Faber may have to look around for another under 19 to tweet about.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

love how we just keep drafting wingers, I would have thought JR/PA would understand the hierarchy better, sure BPA but letterimaki was not head and shoulders BPA necessarily other interesting Cs and Ds there - Ohgren, Bischel, whatever

Clearly they thought he was head and shoulders better than those players, that's why they had JL ranked 7th on their own draft board. 

As for the players you mentioned, Öhgren is also a winger, I'm assuming you meant Östlund and he's been injured for the last 4 of Djurgärdens games but I can't find any info on that. Either that or he's been a healthy scratch for 4 games in a row. And Lian Bichsel is bouncing between the 2nd and 3rd pairing for Leksand, he's -3 (tied for worst on his team) with 1 assist in 20 games and averaging a penalty a game. Doesn't exactly scream NHL lock.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Clearly they thought he was head and shoulders better than those players, that's why they had JL ranked 7th on their own draft board. 

As for the players you mentioned, Öhgren is also a winger, I'm assuming you meant Östlund and he's been injured for the last 4 of Djurgärdens games but I can't find any info on that. Either that or he's been a healthy scratch for 4 games in a row. And Lian Bichsel is bouncing between the 2nd and 3rd pairing for Leksand, he's -3 (tied for worst on his team) with 1 assist in 20 games and averaging a penalty a game. Doesn't exactly scream NHL lock.

fair enough

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I have to admit, I was really high on the idea of Lekkerimaki playing for Djurgardens rather than coming over to play junior. It is looking now like that was the wrong decision.

I dunno if he lost weight from the mono or what but it's been pretty clear from the start that he's not really physically ready for this level. At this point I think the best thing for him would be to get him over to the Giants ASAP.

Very much agree!

17 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I have to admit, I was really high on the idea of Lekkerimaki playing for Djurgardens rather than coming over to play junior. It is looking now like that was the wrong decision.

I dunno if he lost weight from the mono or what but it's been pretty clear from the start that he's not really physically ready for this level. At this point I think the best thing for him would be to get him over to the Giants ASAP.

From the hockey development prospective I prefer the CHL route. However there is cultural aspects which are likely player specific. Hope the concussion is a blip.