The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big time disappointment this off-season so far?

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It just feels like same old, same old. It makes no sense to keep JT Miller right now. There is a good chance he regresses this year and the years to follow. It’s just such a big risk. We really needed a dman. This just change the team at all if they don’t trade him and I don’t get how you can bring everyone back. I know there is time but man it always feels like we are always the team looking and drooling over other teams  moves. I am tired of hearing how they couldn’t get something done. No picks added and no trade. Where are these so called big moves.? Might still happen but today was a big disappointment.  For those of you who think we need him, you need to give your heads shake. We are not anywhere near contention and our defense sucks. What are we keeping him for then?

....I'm pretty sure we still have a lot of the offseason left. 

draft day was by no means "deadline day" to move jt.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well, I guess not going into a rebuild has worked for us in the past. Why not try again. I am sure it will work one of these days. You can’t expect to improve at all with this defense and prospect system the way it is right now.

I understand your point of view, but our core is much better then you give it credit for.  

Elias, Demko, Quinn, Podz, Boeser, and Horvat are a really strong core.  

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

If he gets injured or has a down season, they have lost that bet. It’s dumb to try to go through another season and so risky. It could easily blow up in their faces.

And if he was traded for Kravstov/Lundqvist and a meager pick every GM in the league would be laughing knowing that Allvin and JR have no spine for the deal.

He could get hurt, he could also put up 50 points in 35 games.

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

I understand your point of view, but our core is much better then you give it credit for.  

Elias, Demko, Quinn, Podz, Boeser, and Horvat are a really strong core.  

The problem I have is that it is going to be so hard to fix the defense. To get an impact dman, they can really only deal Miller.

• Like 1

Steady improvement culminating in his best year ever, going into a contract year, and there’s a good chance he regresses?  I think there is a good chance he improves along with a few others of our young core and we make the playoffs. Then if we manage to stay healthy, who knows?  

you need to get your mind out of oilers rebuild mentality because I could see them regressing next year. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It just feels like same old, same old. It makes no sense to keep JT Miller right now. There is a good chance he regresses this year and the years to follow. It’s just such a big risk. We really needed a dman. This just change the team at all if they don’t trade him and I don’t get how you can bring everyone back. I know there is time but man it always feels like we are always the team looking and drooling over other teams  moves. I am tired of hearing how they couldn’t get something done. No picks added and no trade. Where are these so called big moves.? Might still happen but today was a big disappointment.  For those of you who think we need him, you need to give your heads shake. We are not anywhere near contention and our defense sucks. What are we keeping him for then?

Good thing you're not impatient or understand how it goes. 

If we live today, this team’s defense is still really bad. So that’s the way I am looking at it. If they go into the season with the same defense. Oh god.

If we wait until next trade deadline to deal Miller, we aren’t getting more. He will be older and most likely have a hard time reaching 99 points again.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There will be opportunities once the big UFAs get signed and teams miss out.  I'm not worried until we start the season without a trade or extension.

So, against my better judgement, I decided to look -  then again, If you keep this up (rational and intelligent posts), I’m thinking I may remove you from my ‘ignore’ list haha …

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Force a deal just to appease the fans?

Last thing I want from management.

No that's happened enough before, and waiting, if it gets us a better deal is worth waiting for and saying our D sucks is not that observant.  Our D depth sucks and so does team D but that's getting better. 

However score one with JR first round pick who over half the scouting reports had him as high as 6th and we snag him at 15, after a bit of research, not only has what is called the best shot in this year's draft also has a respectable D game and can skate well. 

And snagging Kuzmenko and Karlsson. Op needs to relax dude.. and I didn't even mention Klim. 

D depth isn't a huge deal... And we have some bait and THEN whatever we get for JT 

Dial it down a bit, it's not going to do anything flipping about it. It's not that bad, Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Edited by iceman64

Honestly, Allvin/JR's just getting started, but at the same time, the amount of praise he's been given for doing almost nothing is hilarious. This is still largely built by Benning, the same man that this fanbase has accused of "destroying" the team's futures. Lmfao. Now that reality's set in - I hope people start to realize that the early over-the-top praise was misguided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, iceman64 said:

No that's happened enough before, and waiting, if it gets us a better deal is worth waiting for and saying our D sucks is not that observant.  Our D depth sucks and so does team D but that's getting better. 

However score one with JR first round pick who over half the scouting reports had him as high as 6th and we snag him at 15, after a bit of research, not only has what is called the best shot in this year's draft also has a respectable D game and can skate well. 

And snagging Kuzmenko and Karlsson. You need to relax dude.. and I didn't even mention Klim. 

D depth isn't a huge deal... And we have some bait and THEN whatever we get for JT 

Dial it down a bit, it's not going to do anything flipping about it. It's not that bad, Rome wasn't built in a day. 

The team that almost made the playoffs was once thought to be a bottom feeder under Green. It wasn't Benning that was the entire problem - it was Green, who Benning had EXTENDED.

This is about taking things into perspective.

If we wait until next trade deadline to deal Miller, we aren’t getting more. He will be older and most likely have a hard time reaching 99 points again.

With that kind of skill? Seriously? You listen and watch too much media...

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

Since the arrival of new management now going through a trade deadline and draft I give them at this point 4/10 

the only 4 points they get is hiring Bruce.

to this day it’s very well bennings team on the ice 

Location Calgary

39 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

If he gets injured or has a down season, they have lost that bet. It’s dumb to try to go through another season and so risky. It could easily blow up in their faces.

ANY player can get hurt or not live up to expectations.

I get the thinking that his value is the highest now....but maybe that's worth considering in keeping him? I mean, trade him away for picks and prospects and that's not a sure fire guarantee either. There's always risk involved.

I think people feel like he's going to abruptly hit a wall and fall apart. I just don't see that being a realistic view...he's ultra competitive and, like Burr, his desire to win is his driving force. He HATES losing and wears that on his sleeve. You don't just get rid of those guys and, if you do, you better be getting what they're worth. There's a reason he created some hype out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1