The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ty Young | G

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hey buddy. Is this our new backup/succession goalie we wanted?

probably more like insurance on Silovs or Mikey D not panning out. 

Looking back on the draft, I might have preferred to pick a goalie next draft with our extra 4th and rolled the dice on a RHD this time, but if Ian Clark liked this kid then thats fine. 

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Fred65 said:

What happened to Matthew Thiessen ?

Still Canucks Property until Aug. 2023. He's playing back up at the University of Maine, numbers unspectacular (20/21 8 games, 4.23 GAA. .878 SV%, 21/22 12 game .888 SV%, 3.11 GAA. Only 1 win in 2 seasons), but so is his team. To really progress he needs to seize the starters job this year, or we may just let him walk next August 

23 hours ago, Fred65 said:

What happened to Matthew Thiessen ?

He spent the last 3 years playing for one of the worst teams in NCAA Hockey at the University of Maine. See post, from above, quoted below by CR7 lol

1 hour ago, CR7 said:

Still Canucks Property until Aug. 2023. He's playing back up at the University of Maine, numbers unspectacular (20/21 8 games, 4.23 GAA. .878 SV%, 21/22 12 game .888 SV%, 3.11 GAA. Only 1 win in 2 seasons), but so is his team. To really progress he needs to seize the starters job this year, or we may just let him walk next August 

As a little extra note, I believe he has transferred to a top hockey school at University of Minnesota-Duluth, where he is expected to compete for the starters job in his senior season. I don't expect him to be offered a contract after this season though.

It so nice having Ian Clark back on this teams coaching staff. Thiessen was the last goalie drafted before Clark came back and he was a swing as 7th rounder but has hasn't been good at all whereas now with Clark identifying the proper talent we end up with late round goalie picks that look really good in Silovs, Koskenvuo and now Young.

• Like 1

it's interesting that he was born a year later than the #1 ranked NA goalie, who just happens to play on the same team as him, and had slightly worse stats than Young. Really like what Clark said about his competitiveness. Would like to see him give Brennan a run for his money this year in Prince George.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

it's interesting that he was born a year later than the #1 ranked NA goalie, who just happens to play on the same team as him, and had slightly worse stats than Young. Really like what Clark said about his competitiveness. Would like to see him give Brennan a run for his money this year in Prince George.

I was hoping we would draft the 'other guy' who was ranked so high and played for PG and thought at first we had chosen him.

Jersey took Brennan in the 4th, ahead of us; it will be interesting to see which has the best career.

6 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I was hoping we would draft the 'other guy' who was ranked so high and played for PG and thought at first we had chosen him.

Jersey took Brennan in the 4th, ahead of us; it will be interesting to see which has the best career.

Yea fair - I was kind of hoping Mason Beaupit would fall to the Canucks, but I now that I know more about Young, I think he might be just as good of a pick.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 8:00 PM, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I sure hope Young gets his fair amount of starts with Brennan there with 68 game. I hope Young gets at least 25-30 or even takes over #1 goalie position..

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:00 PM, Ilya Mikheyev said:

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I sure hope Young gets his fair amount of starts with Brennan there with 68 game. I hope Young gets at least 25-30 or even takes over #1 goalie position..

He got 23 games last year. He should get his fair share of opportunity. To be honest it looks like a good natured competition for both players. Good environment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

8 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

He got 23 games last year. He should get his fair share of opportunity. To be honest it looks like a good natured competition for both players. Good environment.

now that he's been whispered to by Ian Clark he'll be number 1 by November :P

• Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...