The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Dakota Joshua

I have high hopes this guy can play and bring something to the table.

If you can imagine him with a couple of veterans like Dickenson and Lazar it would mean not too much is being asked of him., especially if Dickenson bounces back like I think he has a good chance to.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t they just pencil Rathbone down to the minors as well?

Pretty sure he’s waiver exempt. I don’t think they need to put anyone on waivers.

Ya, they have enough players to get really close to the cap.  Someone worked it out and it was within about $50k of maximizing Ferland’s LTIR.

It is also a myth that you need to fit LTIR players under the cap on day 1 of the season before being able to assign them.

In our case this year it seems like it works better to have players papered down and Ferland not in LTIR right away… then put him on LTIR and being the kids back up.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t they just pencil Rathbone down to the minors as well?

Pretty sure he’s waiver exempt. I don’t think they need to put anyone on waivers.

Yes for sure they can temporarily paper down Rathbone (and Hogs, Podz, Kuz, Lockwood) who are all waiver exempt and could be papered down and then brought straight back up in order to maximise the LTIR relief for Ferland and perhaps Poolman.

Of course technically VAN will need to waive quite a few players as they shape up their opening night roster. I'd guess the most likely candidates to be picked off waivers are: Dowling, Di Giuseppe, Keeper or Delia (but I don't think it is likely any of these guys are picked up off waivers and if so, probably not that big of a deal for VAN since they are most likely playing in Abby this season).

Other possible candidates to go on waivers are Dickinson and Poolman. But we'd probably celebrate if another team grabbed those guys...

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:40 PM, kanucks25 said:

Sounds like he was your prototypical NHL/AHL tweener in STL.

Just treaded water on the 4th liner whenever he was called up.

Canucks must think there is some upside. Would be a good get if so, tough to find physical guys that can actually play.

Wish Gino Odjick and Donald Brasheer were in their hayday, and Rick Rypien and the  Boogeyman were still alive. Any three of those would keep the other teams honest.  Oh well, nice to daydream. 

1 minute ago, The Colt 45s said:

Wish Gino Odjick and Donald Brasheer were in their hayday, and Rick Rypien and the  Boogeyman were still alive. Any three of those would keep the other teams honest.  Oh well, nice to daydream. 

Tiger Williams has to be on that line

Just now, The Colt 45s said:

Would make a ton of room open for all of our forwards and let Quinton have a lot of room out there.  

On 9/6/2022 at 10:55 PM, BigTramFan said:

Yes for sure they can temporarily paper down Rathbone (and Hogs, Podz, Kuz, Lockwood) who are all waiver exempt and could be papered down and then brought straight back up in order to maximise the LTIR relief for Ferland and perhaps Poolman.

Of course technically VAN will need to waive quite a few players as they shape up their opening night roster. I'd guess the most likely candidates to be picked off waivers are: Dowling, Di Giuseppe, Keeper or Delia (but I don't think it is likely any of these guys are picked up off waivers and if so, probably not that big of a deal for VAN since they are most likely playing in Abby this season).

Other possible candidates to go on waivers are Dickinson and Poolman. But we'd probably celebrate if another team grabbed those guys...

All teams have their own Dowlings, Di Giuseppes, Keepers or Delias who they will waive. So it will be a gong show of waived players and very rarely players are picked up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PuckFather said:

All teams have their own Dowlings, Di Giuseppes, Keepers or Delias who they will waive. So it will be a gong show of waived players and very rarely players are picked up.

Yeah exactly. Very unlikely we lose anyone to waivers and not a concern if any of those guys are picked up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1