The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I hope you're wrong but it's not that far fetched to think 8th or even 9th overall.  

To drop to 10th would be extremely unlikely though. We're not the only ones with players coming back and an easier schedule. 

The only way I see them in 4-6 range is if they make some major moves in the next week.  If they don't, i.think they'll start winning pretty regularly when demko gets back

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

The only way I see them in 4-6 range is if they make some major moves in the next week.  If they don't, i.think they'll start winning pretty regularly when demko gets back

Who is to even say demko comes back and plays well?

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think this might be a distinct possibility. If Demko is broke maybe the best thing would be to sell him to a div rival. (LA/Vegas)

I agree. Especially with they’re willing to pay a solid price. We take a contract like Cal Petersen back they might give us extra. 

Now is the time to be adding picks/prospects. 

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I agree. Especially with they’re willing to pay a solid price. We take a contract like Cal Petersen back they might give us extra. 

Now is the time to be adding picks/prospects. 

If they trade demko, it's a full on tear down, imo 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they trade demko, it's a full on tear down, imo 

And? 

As much as I have been frustrated with the process the team is finally trending in a positive direction. Pete and Hughes will be pushing 30 by the time we bear fruit of the moves we make now. Maybe we do need to have this mindset.  

• Upvote 2

I’m loving that the Islanders keep on hovering around 13th spot in terms of point percent. I know there’s still a long way to go until the end of the season, but if we could pick 13th overall with their pick that would be amazing! There’s going to be so many solid players left to choose from at that spot. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, their defensive system is tightening up, which will cost insulate him from the kind of mess he was dealing with earlier in the season.

I definitely think having two legends in Foote and Gonchar in our coaching staff is helping our defence in a big way. 

As sad as I was to see Budreau go in the way that he did, I’m really liking our coaching staff, Tocchet included. 

I know we've got some Oliver Moore fans around here so I wanted to mention Moore has a couple new linemates. Moore had been pretty slept on for most of the season up until fairly recently, largely because he's played all season on the second line with lesser talents and hasn't put up the same kind of numbers as the top line. That all changed tonight against Lindenwood University when lo and behold Moore was centering the second line but now flanked by Cole Eiserman (my #4 ranked player for 2024) and James Hagens (my #1 ranked for 2025). Up from the U17 team, Eiserman finished the game with a hat trick, Hagens with three assists, and Moore led the team tonight with a goal and three assists for four points. Looking forward to see what Moore does for the rest of the season with some serious offensive firepower on his line.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

And on the topic of the NTDP, here's a look at some recent numbers from the program's top line, split between USHL, NCAA and the 4 Nations tournament: Ryan Leonard is currently on a 15 game point streak over which he has 16 goals and 16 assists for 32 points. That point streak also includes an active 6 game goal streak, over which he has 11 goals.

During that 15 game stretch, Smith and Perreault have each had multiple pointless games, but overall Smith has 16 goals and 18 assists for 34 points and Perreault has 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points. I will repeat that: Perreault has 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points in the last 15 games.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I definitely think having two legends in Foote and Gonchar in our coaching staff is helping our defence in a big way. 

As sad as I was to see Budreau go in the way that he did, I’m really liking our coaching staff, Tocchet included. 

Should we just have kept Bruce to command the tank? :( 

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

And on the topic of the NTDP, here's a look at some recent numbers from the program's top line, split between USHL, NCAA and the 4 Nations tournament: Ryan Leonard is currently on a 15 game point streak over which he has 16 goals and 16 assists for 32 points. That point streak also includes an active 6 game goal streak, over which he has 11 goals.

During that 15 game stretch, Smith and Perreault have each had multiple pointless games, but overall Smith has 16 goals and 18 assists for 34 points and Perreault has 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points. I will repeat that: Perreault has 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points in the last 15 games.

There's just something that rubs menthe wrong way with Leonard......like a Poeling or Wahlstrom.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

That would be a hugely risky, and unwise pick in the top 10, imo.  

He's flying up the boards. I really like the way this guy plays ... but I hear ya. It would be hugely risky to pass on one of the other talents there. Looks like a bunch of game changers there.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

He's flying up the boards. I really like the way this guy plays ... but I hear ya. It would be hugely risky to pass on one of the other talents there. Looks like a bunch of game changers there.

He's largely an unknown quantity and there's too many good fwds in the top 10 to take a chance, imo.

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Could you elaborate on that? Seem like three entirely different types of players to me.

I was just gonna say after going over the 4 Nations and how he’s been playing recently he could end up being the 1/2 best player out the program in a couple years.

edit: to confirm I’m talking about Leonard here ^

What you think about Moores 4 Nations 

Edited by R3aL

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

It Just dawned on me that the Canucks could potentially draft 2 of the top USHL prospects with the NYI pick. 
Are any of them expected to play together at college next year? 

Will Smith & Ryan Leonard 

Oliver Moore & Gabrielle Perreault

which combo would be the best case scenario ?

I was noticing that Scorch had Perrault ranked about 4th/5th in his D-1 season (4th/5th of all D-1 players).....not sure what it is this year...just found it interesting