The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Podz hasn’t even shown he can be a regular in the lineup in the regular season let alone win battles in the playoffs.

Caufield put up 12 points in the playoffs in his first season on the way to the finals.

Comparing the two is silly. Caufield has way

more value than Podz and was a miss by management. That doesn’t mean Podz can’t be a good role player for us but there’s no debate on who the better player is.

- Thus spoke DeNiro about a player who is still 21...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo. That's another 4 years. Are we really willing to wait that long with Petey, QH and Demko? Or more importantly are they willing to wait? 
Not saying you are wrong, but if this is the case, then signing Hronek now doesn't make any sense at all. Might as well just let us sink to the bottom and cash in on Petey and Demko and start a total rebild. 

Unless we some how get a Calsson or Fantilly to replace Miller, I don't see us getting rid of Miller. 
To me at least it looks like the future is to push for play offs at all costs, and see if Petey, Miller, Demko and QH are able to carry the team into the play offs. 

They definitely need to find out now, if they are the future or not. 

For myself yes if I we're running the team I would operate like Petey and Hughes are going to be here long term and our best chances will probably be in 2-4 years. Once the crap cap is off the books we will have a legit chance to compete on an even playing field with other teams. It will also give time for our top prospects to mature. I wouldn't make poor near sighted decisions to suit the possible wishes of two young players who are under contract. If at some point either of them don't like the direction and want out I'd deal with it then and take a high price in return. I think that's the only way to run a team. You have to build together with every one pulling their share without cutting corners and minimizing overall team strength.

We'll see if it's playoffs or bust this year. Realistically I think that approach would be the wrong one.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Caufield is the same age and tearing up the league…

Whats the argument?

Is he tearing the league up?

I mean hes been impressive dont get me wrong. But he hasn't played a full season yet, he hasn't even hit 50 pts and hes already had brutal shoulder injuries and surgery.

His contract would scare me TBH If he was a knack and we signed that deal.

I like betting on talent but lets not talk about Caufield like hes a sure thing super star here.

IT is still projection. 

Boeser at a similar time in his career we projected safely and it hasn't gone that way.

Caufield could very well have a similar experience. And shoulder injuries have a way of coming back. And when hes the size he is I wouldn't feel som confident in his long term durability.

Just my opinion.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I mean hes been impressive dont get me wrong. But he hasn't played a full season yet, he hasn't even hit 50 pts and hes already had brutal shoulder injuries and surgery.

I like betting on talent but lets not talk about Caufield like hes a sure thing super star here.

IT is still projection. 

Boeser at a similar time in his career we projected safely and it hasn't gone that way.

Caufield could very well have a similar experience. And shoulder injuries have a way of coming back. And when hes the size he is I wouldn't feel som confident in his long term durability.

Just my opinion.

Caufield is one of the most overrated young players in the league, imo.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My 1st Round Mock Draft

ROUND 1 TEAM ORIGINAL PLAYER DETAILS

Nice list. The graphics were also appreciated. 

Can't wait for Willander to win the Norris for Detroit with out old Isles pick. :lol:

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

IT is still projection. 

Just my opinion.

He has like 45 goals in his last 82 games

or something.

So yes.

10 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Why do we need to hit on every pick when the salary cap era means that there’s a constant flow of good players available for free or dirt cheap (asset wise) via UFA or trade with teams that need to unload cap? 

Better off shooting for the stars and trying to draft a special player that no team in their right mind woule trade away, without it costing an absolute haul 

Why do we need to hit on every pick when we can just over pay for free agents and then complain about it only to larger rinse and repeat every time we get any small amount of cap space?

We don't have any assets or cap space to enjoy this constant flow of good players available at any time and haven't since about 2009

This makes every pick we have literally invaluable as we need quality players in ELC and bridge contracts 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah I'm higher than most on Wood, I think the skill, size, shot package is very enticing. He also just seems like the kinda guy who's idea of a good time on a Saturday night is firing off pucks in his garage. 

Him and Bedard lived with each other and thats what they did for fun. Not a coincidence they both have great shots and obsessed with the game!

Guys who live and breath hockey every day are the best kids to draft for sure

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Him and Bedard lived with each other and thats what they did for fun. Not a coincidence they both have great shots and obsessed with the game!

Guys who live and breath hockey every day are the best kids to draft for sure

Pretty sure they all live and breath hockey