The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And didn’t Juiolevi live and breathe Fortnight? 

IT would be interesting to see if he did a candid interview about what went wrong for him.

I think timely injuries and video game addiction def got the better of him.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Is he tearing the league up?

I mean hes been impressive dont get me wrong. But he hasn't played a full season yet, he hasn't even hit 50 pts and hes already had brutal shoulder injuries and surgery.

His contract would scare me TBH If he was a knack and we signed that deal.

I like betting on talent but lets not talk about Caufield like hes a sure thing super star here.

IT is still projection. 

Boeser at a similar time in his career we projected safely and it hasn't gone that way.

Caufield could very well have a similar experience. And shoulder injuries have a way of coming back. And when hes the size he is I wouldn't feel som confident in his long term durability.

Just my opinion.

Could contain: Hockey, Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey Stick, Rink, Skating, Sport

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

My top 10 as of right now I do need to watch more film on some players tho 

1. Bedard 

2. Fantilli 

3. Carlsson 

4.Michkov 

5.Smith

6.Leonard

7. Benson

8. reinbacher

9.moore

10. Dvorsky 

leaves us wood, Danielson, Willander one of those 3 in my opinion 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, hammertime said:

Could contain: Hockey, Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey Stick, Rink, Skating, Sport

Fair. But when you are an undersized guy, you are going to take more abuse than bigger frame guys.

Or your shoulders wont be getting pinched and pushed down as often.

Caufield in puck battles or off the boards will regularly have larger guys weights baring down on to his shoulder.

Im 5 11 and last night even in a ball hockey games I played I had a 6 4 guy 220+ putting his weight on my shoulder throughout the game. even using my shoulder as leverage to push off. Lots of that kind of contact is even more extreme, powerful and heavy in the NHL and. lot of it goes undetected.

I just dont see Caufield having a long successful career or even living up to that contract he just signed as a sure thing at all.

Not saying hes not skilled, not capable or an elite goal scorer. I just dont know if hell have sustained success in the league and be able to stay healthy

Hronek I hope so! I am def nervous. But much less nervous about Hronek than I would be with Caufield at the start of his lengthy big ticket.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

My top 10 as of right now I do need to watch more film on some players tho 

1. Bedard 

2. Fantilli 

3. Carlsson 

4.Michkov 

5.Smith

6.Leonard

7. Benson

8. reinbacher

9.moore

10. Dvorsky 

leaves us wood, Danielson, Willander one of those 3 in my opinion 

3 of my favourites! Would love that outcome

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Fair. But when you are an undersized guy, you are going to take more abuse than bigger frame guys.

Or your shoulders wont be getting pinched and pushed down as often.

Caufield in puck battles or off the boards will regularly have larger guys weights baring down on to his shoulder.

Im 5 11 and last night even in a ball hockey games I played I had a 6 4 guy 220+ putting his weight on my shoulder throughout the game. even using my shoulder as leverage to push off. Lots of that kind of contact is even more extreme, powerful and heavy in the NHL and. lot of it goes undetected.

I just dont see Caufield having a long successful career or even living up to that contract he just signed as a sure thing at all.

Not saying hes not skilled, not capable or an elite goal scorer. I just dont know if hell have sustained success in the league and be able to stay healthy

Hronek I hope so! I am def nervous. But much less nervous about Hronek than I would be with Caufield at the start of his lengthy big ticket.

I was just poking fun. I'm hopeful Yzerman didn't take Alvin to the woodshed. 

I like Hronek we haven't had the threat of a shot from the point in years. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Why do we need to hit on every pick when we can just over pay for free agents and then complain about it only to larger rinse and repeat every time we get any small amount of cap space?

We don't have any assets or cap space to enjoy this constant flow of good players available at any time and haven't since about 2009

This makes every pick we have literally invaluable as we need quality players in ELC and bridge contracts 

I get the theory but the best teams arent actually built this way.. as nice and and straightforward as the theory sounds.

Look at how many ELCs Vegas had on their roster this year.. exactly 1. Kaden Korczac. 

And Florida? 1 as well  - Anton Lundell.

As for drafting? Florida's only impact players that they drafted were: Barkov, Lundell, and Ekblad. 

Vegas obviously has basically none but ill ascribe that to the fact that its a new franchise. 

Look at the regular seasons top team as well- Boston. Pastrnak, Marchand, Mcavoy, Carlo are the only significant players that they drafted. 

We have: Petey, Hughes, Demko. You could argue Brock as well (55 points in a bad year). Thats 3 incredible players and 1 good player. Already on par with Boston, and ahead of Florida. 

What we've stunk at is building a good supporting cast around them via trade and UFA. Benning went for the flashy names instead of looking for value. OEL was a flashy name who regressed massively from his early success. King Loui is beyond reproach so i have nothing negative to say about him. Myers, Pearson, Poolman, Beagle, Roussel etc etc all overpaid and underdelivered. 

Meanwhile, Florida acquired Sam Bennett for pennies on the dollar and turned him into a star. 

Vegas went out there and made a huge splash in trade - giving up young players and valuable futures to land a superstar in Jack Eichel.

This is why I completely disagree with picking players that have a nice save "will be a warm body in the nhl" floor. Its a complete waste of draft capital. Why would you waste a pick on a guy who projects to be a decent middle-6 forward when you can pick up a Tyler Motte for basically free. Or a guy who projects to be a bottom-4 D-pairing, when you can get an Ethan Bear from a team like Carolina for free.

Draft for a sky-high ceiling, or trade the pick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I get the theory but the best teams arent actually built this way.. as nice and and straightforward as the theory sounds.

Look at how many ELCs Vegas had on their roster this year.. exactly 1. Kaden Korczac. 

And Florida? 1 as well  - Anton Lundell.

As for drafting? Florida's only impact players that they drafted were: Barkov, Lundell, and Ekblad. 

Vegas obviously has basically none but ill ascribe that to the fact that its a new franchise. 

Look at the regular seasons top team as well- Boston. Pastrnak, Marchand, Mcavoy, Carlo are the only significant players that they drafted. 

We have: Petey, Hughes, Demko. You could argue Brock as well (55 points in a bad year). Thats 3 incredible players and 1 good player. Already on par with Boston, and ahead of Florida. 

What we've stunk at is building a good supporting cast around them via trade and UFA. Benning went for the flashy names instead of looking for value. OEL was a flashy name who regressed massively from his early success. King Loui is beyond reproach so i have nothing negative to say about him. Myers, Pearson, Poolman, Beagle, Roussel etc etc all overpaid and underdelivered. 

Meanwhile, Florida acquired Sam Bennett for pennies on the dollar and turned him into a star. 

Vegas went out there and made a huge splash in trade - giving up young players and valuable futures to land a superstar in Jack Eichel.

This is why I completely disagree with picking players that have a nice save "will be a warm body in the nhl" floor. Its a complete waste of draft capital. Why would you waste a pick on a guy who projects to be a decent middle-6 forward when you can pick up a Tyler Motte for basically free. Or a guy who projects to be a bottom-4 D-pairing, when you can get an Ethan Bear from a team like Carolina for free.

Draft for a sky-high ceiling, or trade the pick.

Exactly! And don’t hire a GM like Benning who signed so many toxic contracts. That’s the killer. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I was just poking fun. I'm hopeful Yzerman didn't take Alvin to the woodshed. 

I like Hronek we haven't had the threat of a shot from the point in years. 

haha ya but was a fair point with his shoulder we dont know how healthy he will be.

And it would be quite fitting if our new bomb of a shot from the point was injury prone, would give us that familiar Salo comforts

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We took Yzerboy to the woodshed. He had to explain during his season ending presser that it was on him got the club going into the dumper after he traded Hronek. SLO Mo just isn’t good enough to take on the #1 D that Hronek was playing. And when asked to go do he failed miserably and the Wings suffered as a result. We literally stole their best player and he’s only 25. Yzermsn will be fired very soon. As he was from Tampa. For being stupid. 
#hateallbutus. 

Haha I love the energy but Hronek wasn't their best player but he was one of them thats for sure.

I think the Honk move will work out well I like him and he will get a good balance of minutes and matchups with Hughes on different pairings. 

And im really excited to have a big point shot on the back end again. Myers slapping it just makes me sad.

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

The public lists are very different from the team lists lets just say that. And Bob Macs list will help illustrate this I think.

Fair point. When does it come out?

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

While the dinners obviously do mean something, as others have said it's often also with players the team is on the fence about. And it would make sense not to do them with guys like Leonard, Dvorsky or Reinbacher, because if they're there you obviously pick them, no questions asked. But it makes sense to do the dinners with the players you think will probably be there but you're just not quite as sure about and want a more complete picture of as people. And you have to imagine that it's not only at the team's discretion. Players can only have these extended meetings with so many teams. They and their agents/camps will hope to arrange these dinners with teams in their expected range.

Could be, yep. Makes sense - cheers

49 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Fair point. When does it come out?

Bob McKenzie’s top 12 draft lottery list came out May 5…

https://www.tsn.ca/plenty-of-intrigue-after-connor-bedard-in-bob-mckenzie-s-nhl-draft-lottery-edition-ranking-1.1956585

1. Connor Bedard

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Will Smith

4. Leo Carlsson

5. Matvei Michkov

6. Dalibor Dvorsky

7. Ryan Leonard

8. Zach Benson

9. Gabe Perreault

10. David Reinbacher

11. Colby Barlow

12. Matthew Wood

There were five others who received multiple votes from scouts as Top 12 prospects, including at least one vote each in the Top 10.

In alphabetical order, they were: Brandon Wheat King centre Nate Danielson (No. 15 at mid-season); Vancouver Giant left winger Samuel Honzek (No. 19 at mid-season); U.S. U-18 centre Oliver Moore (No. 11 at mid-season); Swedish defenceman Axel Sandin-Pellikka (No. 17 at mid-season) and Moose Jaw Warrior centre Brayden Yager (No. 7 at mid-season).

TSN’s final 2023 Draft Rankings of 80+ prospects will be released in June, a week prior to the June 28-29 draft.

I’d be totally cool if the draft went this way until we pick at 11.  Then I am sure Allvin would take Wood over Barlow…

• Cheers 2

A few players from the NTDP have said that Ryan Fine is the most under-rated player on the team, that he's the guy doing stuff in practice that has other players always on their toes. Not a player that's ranked by a lot of outlets, but if he's there in the 4th or 5th round I think he could be worth taking a swing on.

Edited by HighOnHockey

28 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Watching some of the U18 games again. I'm getting the hype with Willander.

He has a physical edge to him, really strong along the walls & likes to play the body, a real pain in the ass to play against. He's good at containing an attacker along the wall, establishing body position, & taking the puck away - then getting away with his feet or finding the open pass quickly. Against the Americans he was taking the body any chance he could & knocking their top guys over. 

He's a heads up player with & without the puck. Defensively he's aware of his check off the puck & when he gets the puck he's not afraid to take that extra split second under pressure to make the right play, plus he's got the excellent skating ability to carry it when he needs too but alot of times he'll just make the right pass. 

Maybe a Tanev-type defensive player with a physical game, his defensive details are great already. Offensively he handles the puck really well & like I said can pass well. Its not his bread & butter atm but I understand the thought he has room for improvement. He very clearly has puck skills & smarts.

He scored a nice goal PP goal against Canada from the point where he made it seem like he was going to pass, but he had his head up & instead ripped a wrister through traffic that caught the goalie off guard.

As much as this makes me happy I feel like we aren’t going to even have the choice of taking Willander. I just have this feeling Detroit is gonna draft him before us. And winning those extra games will burn a little since we need a guy like Willander in the system so bad.

It wouldn’t be the end of the world though imagine a draft where all three RHD go before our pick lol

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

Michkov

Reinbacher

Leonard

Dvorsky

Willander

ASP

-

Leaving 1 of: Danielson/Wood/Benson/Simashev for us (Moore if your high on him)

no matter what we are leaving the draft with someone we should feel good about

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2