The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

8 hours ago, canuckwings said:

I hope Benson is gone by the time we pick so we don't have to pass on him. I know we keep saying draft BPA, but with the draft ranking all over the place after the consensus top 4-5, I'd prefer to see we draft one of the RD defensemen who will instantly become our top d prospect. 

You draft Benson if he’s available. He has a very high probability to be a top line winger. 

not many others at 11 would have that ceiling. Maybe Barlow, but there’s a reason Benson has been ranked 5-6th the entire season. 

Has everyone forgotten that he is local as well? Draft him and grab his brother off waivers next year 

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

3. CBJ - Smith

4. SJ - Carlsson

5. MTL - Dvorsky

6. ARI - Michkov

7. PHI - Leonard

8. WAS - Moore (damn)

9. DET - Willander (damn)

10. STL - Danielson (damn)

11. VAN - Barlow

You’d be upset with Reinbacher? 100% he’d be our guy and not Barlow.

Interesting we just had 3 elite Centres with Petey, Miller, Horvat and couldn’t overcome our terrible defence. Let’s fix up the Defence starting this year as getting a top 4 Dman outside of the top 10 is a success, no matter who is on board. 

Reinbacher

Willander

ASP

Simashev 

All of these guys are quality Dmen that project to fill a role in the top 4 and with proper development could be top 2. 

Time to start drafting Dmen (unless Mitchkov falls) 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Interesting rank on those three right now. Maybe I need to go back and watch it again. I was just so impressed with Eiserman offensively and watching Moore with most of my focus maybe I missed what you saw with Hagens. Lots of runway next year for me to se it though! 

with Moore i think he just needs a patient path. Since he’s getting a sheltered role now, and next year. He will have lots of time to develop that. And he will need 1-2 years at least after being the number 1 C on a team to really get that experience and improve his IQ and with the right coaching I could see a world he really hits. 

im just not super confident it will all go that way. And I think for him it will almost benefit him to be drafted outside of the top 10 since that always comes with more patience. Same with Yager I think he’s a prospect that’s really gonna benefit from going later in the draft. 

Absolute worst case moore is a checking winger that brings a speed element to any line he plays on and would be an annoying forechecker to play against. I’m just not completely sold on his ceiling.

Ah, yes, important to note I'm talking about all my combined viewings on Hagens-Eiserman, not just U18s. I've also watched them at U17s and a few other games when they were up with the U18 team. The U17s in particular was pretty special for them, as Hagens and Eiserman both broke the tournament points record. There against his own age group Hagens just outsmarted everyone all over the ice every time. At the U18s of course Eiserman was going to stand out, he's so explosive and was scoring goals at such a ridiculous rate. Hagens' game is much more cerebral and so more subtle, and he's 150 lbs, playing 13 mins a game on the third line. I knew what to expect and was watching him closely and sure enough he made a lot of great plays and created scoring chances, but of course Eiserman attracts the attention (well-deserved though, and Hagens will have an extra year to show what he can do before his draft anyway). There was the one play in the 1st period of the gold medal game where Hagens snuck in and stripped David Edstrom directly in front of Sweden's net for a scoring chance, and he does shit like that all the time.

55 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

You draft Benson if he’s available. He has a very high probability to be a top line winger. 

not many others at 11 would have that ceiling. Maybe Barlow, but there’s a reason Benson has been ranked 5-6th the entire season. 

Has everyone forgotten that he is local as well? Draft him and grab his brother off waivers next year 

He'll likely be gone by the time we pick anyways. Too many teams ahead of us will have to draft by positional needs to pass on him. I'm pretty excited for this year's draft especially compare with last year's, but at the same time I'm very worried that we'll miss our pick which we absolutely cannot afford to when we don't have a second round pick. 

Interesting to hear we're meeting with Benson, I think the draft will go one of two ways and it all comes down to the D. Either ASP and/or Reinbacher will go in the top-10 because of all their hype (may or may not be rightly warranted) and then someone like Benson, Leonard or even Dvorsky might fall to us in which case I think we have to pick one of those forwards...or, all the forwards go high as expected and we're left with a decision over ASP, Reinbacher or Willander.

I wouldn't be overly mad if we take Willander over a guy like Benson, Leonard or Dvorsky but it'll be a head-scratcher and might have shades of Juolevi over Tkachuk.

Regardless, I don't think there's really a wrong pick at 11OA, we'll get a good player, whether it be a future top-6 forward or future top-4 defenceman. 

Interesting to see how Donnie feels about trading the NYI pick for Hronek, I doubt our two firsts would have been enough to snag Carlsson but we could have walked away from the draft with ASP and Willander which is pretty nuts, or maybe even Strbak. Future top pairing in one draft but obviously they'd be a good 5 years out blah blah.

Spent the last 2 hours watching and reading about willander…. I’m completely okay taking him over reinbacher, kid gives me major future top pair vibes the way he Carrie’s himself across the ice, has that swagger to him, hockey IQ is through the roof…. Hopefully a trade down and draft him and fetch a second out of it 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Interesting to hear we're meeting with Benson, I think the draft will go one of two ways and it all comes down to the D. Either ASP and/or Reinbacher will go in the top-10 because of all their hype (may or may not be rightly warranted) and then someone like Benson, Leonard or even Dvorsky might fall to us in which case I think we have to pick one of those forwards...or, all the forwards go high as expected and we're left with a decision over ASP, Reinbacher or Willander.

I wouldn't be overly mad if we take Willander over a guy like Benson, Leonard or Dvorsky but it'll be a head-scratcher and might have shades of Juolevi over Tkachuk.

Regardless, I don't think there's really a wrong pick at 11OA, we'll get a good player, whether it be a future top-6 forward or future top-4 defenceman. 

Interesting to see how Donnie feels about trading the NYI pick for Hronek, I doubt our two firsts would have been enough to snag Carlsson but we could have walked away from the draft with ASP and Willander which is pretty nuts, or maybe even Strbak. Future top pairing in one draft but obviously they'd be a good 5 years out blah blah.

Hronek is 25 and already a top pairing, right shot D. And he’s elite. We basically traded Bo for him. Great trade. If we kept that Islanders’ pick we get a question mark with whomever we select. 
Our own first is 11. Less of a question mark with whom we select but still it’s there. 

I don't like the Hronek trade for the timing of it but I can only hope it works out so I can complain less about it. I would not be surprised if quite a few teams find gems in the second round this year. 

I'd be ecstatic if we can recoup a second round pick this draft without trading down with our first, but the more likely scenario would be PA throwing in our remaining picks to get rid of a contract just to get under the cap. Argh. 

Unsure about Reinbacher. A part of me thinks it's mostly hype. He plays for Swiss/Austria, he's got size and he's a RD.

I didn't think he was that great at the U18s, before or after he got injured from a hit. Not sold on him, just because he could possibly one day be a D partner for Hughes. I'm not sure he's good enough to be honest. Wilander is a far superior skater, and probably smarter. 

I am predicting Reinbacher falls out of the Top 10 (and Willander gets in)

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

I don't like the Hronek trade for the timing of it but I can only hope it works out so I can complain less about it. I would not be surprised if quite a few teams find gems in the second round this year. 

I'd be ecstatic if we can recoup a second round pick this draft without trading down with our first, but the more likely scenario would be PA throwing in our remaining picks to get rid of a contract just to get under the cap. Argh. 

Hronek is a 25 year old elite right shot D. The pick we traded to get him only tricked Yzerman into making the deal because it looked like it was going to roll over to 2024 as an unprotected first. At 17, where the pick ended up, Detroit gets a question mark. Winning clubs are build on smart trades and UFA signings. The draft is hit and miss. The great Hawks club missed on two high picks. The current Rangers missed in four! But each club made some good trades and UFA signings. The Tampa double cup winner had only one D man they drafted. Vegas had only one player they got from the armature draft. 
When there’s a chance to get a 25 year old elite right shot D for 17OA that’s a great trade, especially when our brilliant GM used a pkayer like Bo to get the pick. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is 25 and already a top pairing, right shot D. And he’s elite. We basically traded Bo for him. Great trade. If we kept that Islanders’ pick we get a question mark with whomever we select. 
Our own first is 11. Less of a question mark with whom we select but still it’s there. 

That is a loose definition of elite.  We have one elite defence man on the club and a good one in Hronek coming off a lot of missed time and significant injury that could very well end up in surgery early in the year.  Past Hronek and Q we whole bunch of question marks and bad players on D..

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Unsure about Reinbacher. A part of me thinks it's mostly hype. He plays for Austria, he's got size and he's a RD.

I didn't think he was that great at the U18s, before or after he got injured from a hit. Not sold on him, just because he could possibly one day be a D partner for Hughes. I'm not sure he's good enough to be honest. Wilander is a far superior skater, and probably smarter. 

It’s looking like Reinbacher has plateaued in his development. He might be close to the end of his runway of development. Got to be careful drafting guys with short runways of development left. 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is a loose definition of elite.  We have one elite defence man on the club and a good one in Hronek coming off a lot of missed time and significant injury that could very well end up in surgery early in the year.  Past Hronek and Q we whole bunch of question marks and bad players on D..

How did Tampa build out their cup winning D? They only drafted Hedman. The rest were traded for or UFA signings. Vegas only had one guy they drafted in the amateur draft. Teams aren’t built only through the draft. When a 25 year old top pair right shot d only costs Bo that’s is how to build a winner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s looking like Reinbacher has plateaued in his development. He might be close to the end of his runway of development. Got to be careful drafting guys with short runways of development left. 

I’m not sure I 100% agree with this.  I’d concede he may be further along in his development because he’s already playing against men.  If anything I would say he has some unknowns removed because he’s already successful playing in a mens league.  Who has the most upside? Tougher to gauge especially with defensemen.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How did Tampa build out their cup winning D? They only drafted Hedman. The rest were traded for or UFA signings. Vegas only had one guy they drafted in the amateur draft. Teams aren’t built only through the draft. When a 25 year old top pair right shot d only costs Bo that’s is how to build a winner. 

That is deflection and irrelevant and again sour grapes about any player we trade.  

I just said calling Hronek elite is a stretch and that our D needs a tonne of work outside of Q and Hronek.  Hronek is a solid player but nobody outside of Melmac puts him as an elite D in the league.

Q is scraping into elite status as he matures, Hronek is solid and may show more or may end up under the knife soon after season starts if the conservative approach to his shoulder injury fails.  That is a long recovery.

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Unsure about Reinbacher. A part of me thinks it's mostly hype. He plays for Swiss/Austria, he's got size and he's a RD.

Yeah I agree, Reinbacher fits a lot of criteria but I've got a feeling he has big bust potential. ASP is massively hyped too but I think his offensive vision will carry him far, a bit like Hughes. I've got a sneaking suspicion Willander may well end up the best of the bunch years down the line.

I was surprised to see him basically lead the Swedish D at the WJC, even over ASP, so wouldn't be mad if we pick him that high, even over the other two..

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

No Way Lol GIF by Lifetime

He's a washed up 18 year old! 

5 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Spent the last 2 hours watching and reading about willander…. I’m completely okay taking him over reinbacher, kid gives me major future top pair vibes the way he Carrie’s himself across the ice, has that swagger to him, hockey IQ is through the roof…. Hopefully a trade down and draft him and fetch a second out of it 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-final-ranking-of-the-top-80-prospects-for-the-2023-nhl-draft/

For what it’s worth, which may not be much, both Reinbacher and ASP are listed as top pair potential while Willander is listed as middle pairing potential.