The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Listened to Drance on D&D, and he mentioned how the Canucks have interest in Simashev and Michkov. Guessing they're one of the teams that are interviewing Matvei early next week?

I would be nervous if the Canucks picked Michkov, but holy heck, Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Michkov could be very special one day.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I agree it makes absolutely zero sense. They'll be getting the #1 Center they need at #3 ready to insert in the line-up in the next year or two at most.

Different players for sure Rathbone has little value ... I think Hoglander gets it closer but it's not an overpayment imo. Slightly under if that.

I'm thinking they could use Miller to fill out their center positions. I think it'd be a solid three with Miller, Kent Johnson and Roslovic. Not sure if Carlsson would be NHL ready enough to take a 2C position immediately - same case for Kent Johnson at 1C. 

Throw in one of our 4th round picks this year to get it done. Columbus is in win now mode - acquiring Provorov and Severson are pretty big indicators of that, I'm sure they can let go one of their young defensemen. 

16 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Not sure how I’d feel us going Willander over Dvorsky.  Or Moore.  Or Danielson.  If the top 10 goes C heavy let’s pivot to D but if not, I hope we take one of the C’s.

Edit:  I feel like you can actually find 2nd pair D in FA/Trade a little easier than even 2nd line C.  

Plus, D usually last a little longer age-wise so it’s a bit less risky signing them at that UFA range.  Just my 0.02.

Edited by ilduce39

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Not sure how I’d feel us going Willander over Dvorsky.  Or Moore.  Or Danielson.  If the top 10 goes C heavy let’s pivot to D but if not, I hope we take one of the C’s.

Id struggle with passing on Dvorsky big time.

Willander I am comfortable taking over a lot of guys but not sure about over him.

I highly doubt Craigs mock is accurate here but sometimes he gets strong reads on players / team aligned interests.

Wood to Arizona I had not even considered but it could make a lot of sense. And they do scout the NCAA heavy,

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Id struggle with passing on Dvorsky big time.

Willander I am comfortable taking over a lot of guys but not sure about over him.

I highly doubt Craigs mock is accurate here but sometimes he gets strong reads on players / team aligned interests.

Wood to Arizona I had not even considered but it could make a lot of sense. And they do scout the NCAA heavy,

I think I can see Willander ahead of Moore or Danielson (I’d be fine with any of those 3) but, yeah, leaving Dvorsky on the board would sting. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Screw said:

Wish I understood this

Seider plays against extremely tough competition and is required to start a high proportion of his shifts in the defensive zone. His ability to have a positive Corsi value is therefore pretty impressive. He is able to help control shot differential despite being up against star players where he is forced to start in his own zone. 

On the other hand, Quinn Hughes gets more O-zone starts and his quality of competition is about average. Hughes has a higher Corsi value than Seider, but this is likely related at least in part to where he gets to start and who he gets to play against. 

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

27 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Interesting how, after pick 19, every player but Gauthier is 6+ feet (and Gauthier might be the most tenacious of them all). Seems like Button is suggesting that teams are really going to take to heart Vegas' model. 

43 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Miller v. Torts would be hilarious. 

Jarmo Keikalainen is like Jim Benning-lite. Good scout that became a GM and can't get out of his own way on Jul 1. CBJ are in win-now mode. They shouldn't be. But adding Gaudeau, Severson, and Provorov in the last year is not the behavior of a team rebuilding. 

They shouldn't have went into win now mode but the fanbase is kind of fickle. Don't think a full rebuild would have went well.

24 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Edit:  I feel like you can actually find 2nd pair D in FA/Trade a little easier than even 2nd line C.  

Plus, D usually last a little longer age-wise so it’s a bit less risky signing them at that UFA range.  Just my 0.02.

I could very easily see Dvorsky as a top 5 player in this draft, he has all the tools.  Benson has insane upside.  If those 2 are their at 11, they would be the BPAs for sure.

19 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think I can see Willander ahead of Moore or Danielson (I’d be fine with any of those 3) but, yeah, leaving Dvorsky on the board would sting. 

It just wont happen.

Kid is a physical monster. Hes the youngest in the draft and has a very good development path in front of him. He really showed at the u18s he can dominate his peers too.

I just dont see him getting out of the top 10 and if hes there when we go up I could see our scouting group being very high on him but we will see how things shake down.

My most wanted on draft day now in our draft range:

DVORSKY / WOOD / REINBACHER / WILLANDER / SIMASHEV

Reinbacher and Dvorsky likely gone though.

I really want one of Wood / Willander / Simashev.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I could very easily see Dvorsky as a top 5 player in this draft, he has all the tools.  Benson has insane upside.  If those 2 are their at 11, they would be the BPAs for sure.

will be interesting if Perreault or ASP push into the top 10.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Seems like the year a top 10 pick gets moved on the floor.

Washington & Vancouver interested in moving up, Montreal & Philly considering moving down. 

Wonder if teams want to move up for Michkov. With his immense upside & also uncertainty you gotta think some teams would want to make a play for him while others in his range would be looking towards taking another player. Rare situation.

I heard Montreal wants to move up too. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I see CBJ taking Smith (the American) over Fantilli, who could go to SJ

There is definitely a mystique about Michkov. The phenom who is careful who he talks to. I have him fairly low on my list (#11), due to the risks. But, could be Big Risk = Big Reward. What if this guy turns into a 50-goal scorer? Feels like he's going to Washington at #8. Hmm, Ovechkin wears #8.

I wonder if MTL will just sit at #5 and take the guy they want (Leonard)

Really hoping for Simashev, for some reason. The way he skates and the size, he could be a beast down the road. If they don't get him,. I'm hoping for a C (Dvorsky or Danielson)  I think any one of these players will be a good player for the Canucks one day. 

The left side would look real good:

Hughes

Simashev

Pettersson

Hirose/Rathbone

Kudryavtsev

Jurmo

Be great if they could also pick up (RD) Strbak or Sotheran

So in your scenario Anaheim takes Carlsson?

I think with Rick Nash in Columbus its pretty hard to see them not liking Fantilli over Smith. But I could be wrong for sure. I dont know how loud his voice is but I could see them really liking Fantilli.

I could see them taking Smith over Carlsson though easier than I can see over fantilli.

3 hours ago, canuckwings said:

Craig Button's Mock draft has us selecting Willander. I'd be good with that. Even though he didn't have Simashev in his top 32 ranking he has Nashville drafting him at 24th. 

https://www.tsn.ca/mock-draft-the-fun-starts-after-no-1-in-craig-button-s-nhl-draft-projection-1.1976705

I like Willander A LOT. But we can safely say the pressure on him to shake or OJ fear and have a monster draft +1 year in the NCAA will be mighty strong if this draft scenario became a reality with:

Dvorsky / Benson / Danielson / Yager / Perreault

Getting drafted right after.

10 minutes ago, R3aL said:

will be interesting if Perreault or ASP push into the top 10.

For sure.  I think we will have a few really good options at least.  If the top10 goes forward heavy, we will have the choice of a all the D aside from Reinbacher.  If a few teams reach for D, we will get a crazy talented F.  

We really need everything in ourr prospect pool, so unless we go off the board, we can't really lose here.  I just hope we keep the pick.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

For sure.  I think we will have a few really good options at least.  If the top10 goes forward heavy, we will have the choice of a all the D aside from Reinbacher.  If a few teams reach for D, we will get a crazy talented F.  

We really need everything in ourr prospect pool, so unless we go off the board, we can't really lose here.  I just hope we keep the pick.

Im okay dropping to 15 MAX depending on who is there at 11 and who is left on the board.

IF we could still get a solid player at 15 like Willander / Simashev / Danielson and then pick up another solid D prospect in the second round with it I would be very okay with it.

I doubt we move up, and staying put at 11 is most likely I agree.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Im okay dropping to 15 MAX depending on who is there at 11 and who is left on the board.

IF we could still get a solid player at 15 like Willander / Simashev / Danielson and then pick up another solid D prospect in the second round with it I would be very okay with it.

Getting a 2nd rounder would be great. Even better if we trade a couple of 3rds to get a late 2nd round. Then trade two 4th rounders for a late 3rd?

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I could see that happening.  Nashville has 15/46/47, we could likely get 15 and one of those. 

Wings have 17 and 41/42/43.  Not sure I'd go down that far, but I'd push for 17/41 and of the other 2nds or at worst their third.  Not sure I'd go that low though.

38 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It just wont happen.

Kid is a physical monster. Hes the youngest in the draft and has a very good development path in front of him. He really showed at the u18s he can dominate his peers too.

I just dont see him getting out of the top 10 and if hes there when we go up I could see our scouting group being very high on him but we will see how things shake down.

My most wanted on draft day now in our draft range:

DVORSKY / WOOD / REINBACHER / WILLANDER / SIMASHEV

Reinbacher and Dvorsky likely gone though.

I really want one of Wood / Willander / Simashev.

Is Simashev actually going to be at the draft?