The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Just now, JustABandwagoner said:

Solid deal by him. Assuming Hronek will be too expensive soon. 

But people were saying Hronek wasn’t needed by Detroit. They literally needed to replace him with the exact pick they were given in the trade. 

Hronek is going to be a much better player than ASP. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Drafting Willander also opens up the idea that finding a shorter term, veteran fit with Hughes is a viable path forward.

100%  this makes the pick make a lot of sense. Hope Schenn comes back Hughes loves playing with him. I don't know about Tanev injury wise but if he signs a one year to 3 cheap deal to play 3rd pair idk 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

ASP tops out as a 2nd pairing guy in the AHL with the way he plays in his own zone.  He's absolutely atrocious defensively.

Maybe Stevie Y thinks he can fix that...at 17th it's not a bad pick given they traded away Hronek.

Where is ASP playing next year?

For Willander, I'm so glad he's going to.Boston University to adapt to the north American ice asap. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Sure hope C. Button is right about Willander. I’ll admit, he gained a ton of respect from me when he absolutely nailed the Virtanen evaluation.

He had Simashev at 20+ though, which makes me wonder if he missed something. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Chicago scored huge with Bedard but with Oliver Moore they hit the jackpot twice today

Great pick for the Hawks. 

Chicago, hate them all you want, have another couple of bookend talents to build on now, just like Kane and Toews. They are likely heading towards being another powerhouse in a handful of years. Kinda sickening. 

• RoughGame 1

Just now, canuckwings said:

Maybe Stevie Y thinks he can fix that...at 17th it's not a bad pick given they traded away Hronek.

Where is ASP playing next year?

For Willander, I'm so glad he's going to.Boston University to adapt to the north American ice asap. 

It's a terrible pick given there were good forwards and defencemen who can play defence available.  There's very little chance of ASP ever learning how to play defence well enough to have any place on a legit NHL roster.  You can't fix a guy who is that much of a liability.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But people were saying Hronek wasn’t needed by Detroit. They literally needed to replace him with the exact pick they were given in the trade. 

Hronek is going to be a much better player than ASP. 

Hronek maybe too expensive for yzerman liking in terms of cap hit in the near future